Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Blue Jackets 2 - Phil is PHAT

71GenoMalkin

Jul 13, 2010
You're first mistake is believing anythign a current or former player says. We have several posters here that know much more about the game than any professional. We also have better coaches, better GMs, better announcers, and better media.

That's good stuff right there. Thanks for that. :)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He was 1 player on a still very soft team. He obviously didn't fully deter teams from targeting our guys but it was something. At least guys knew he had their back. And he wasn't really a goon. He did score 14 goals after all. The point I was trying to make was that as a UFA joining this team, he acknowledged the fact that our superstars put up with too much ****. I didn't hear him say "let's sit around and wait for the league to protect those guys" or "it's not my job to defend my teammates". It's about a mindset and an attitude.

Were the Pens really soft last year? They had Despres, Bortuzzo, Downie, Lapierre, Winnik (wasn't a tough guy, but wasn't a pushover) and Farnham at different points last year. I wouldn't consider them soft last year. They're soft this year.

Yes, anyone with eyes can see Sid and Geno put up with too much ****. However, just saying that really didn't change anything, because those 2 still put up with way too much **** when Downie was here. I'm not going to give Downie credit for pointing out what anyone can clearly see. He did nothing to stop that crap.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
He was 1 player on a still very soft team. He obviously didn't fully deter teams from targeting our guys but it was something. At least guys knew he had their back. And he wasn't really a goon. He did score 14 goals after all. The point I was trying to make was that as a UFA joining this team, he acknowledged the fact that our superstars put up with too much ****. I didn't hear him say "let's sit around and wait for the league to protect those guys" or "it's not my job to defend my teammates". It's about a mindset and an attitude.

Are you still "playing devil's advocate"? Usually that stops by post 19

71GenoMalkin

Jul 13, 2010
Are you still "playing devil's advocate"? Usually that stops by post 19

Is there something wrong with my posts? Have I said something that's completely false? I make no bones about the fact that I would prefer a much tougher team to protect our talent. Not necessarily John Scott tough.

I take issue with the notion that its not the teams responsibility to protect our stars, that it's the leagues, when it's never been that way.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Is there something wrong with my posts? Have I said something that's completely false? I make no bones about the fact that I would prefer a much tougher team to protect our talent. Not necessarily John Scott tough.

I take issue with the notion that its not the teams responsibility to protect our stars, that it's the leagues, when it's never been that way.

I said nowhere that you were being fallacious, other than the post where you said you were playing devil's advocate, when clearly you're not :)

71GenoMalkin

Jul 13, 2010
I said nowhere that you were being fallacious, other than the post where you said you were playing devil's advocate, when clearly you're not :)

I was playing devils advocate with the whole enforcer John Scott debate. If a player of that ilk is not the answer and getting a Lucic or Tom Wilson type is not realistic then I was asking what the solution is. It surely can't be the status quo. I'm playing devils advocate because I can see points from both sides of the argument. I don't want John Scott but Zach Kassian can play on my 4th line over Kevin Porter (poor guy lol) any day.

71GenoMalkin

Jul 13, 2010
:handclap:r
Were the Pens really soft last year? They had Despres, Bortuzzo, Downie, Lapierre, Winnik (wasn't a tough guy, but wasn't a pushover) and Farnham at different points last year. I wouldn't consider them soft last year. They're soft this year.

Yes, anyone with eyes can see Sid and Geno put up with too much ****. However, just saying that really didn't change anything, because those 2 still put up with way too much **** when Downie was here. I'm not going to give Downie credit for pointing out what anyone can clearly see. He did nothing to stop that crap.

Yes I think we were soft. Borts only played 38 games. Farnham 11. Lappy and Winnik were both acquired late and while they were chippy and big respectively I wouldn't consider either of them tough players. That leaves Downie. And of course Despres until, well we all know what happened there unfortunately.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If one more person says "I'll take tough guy xx over Porter on my 4th line" I might, I don't know, get more annoyed. No one wants Porter on the team and he won't be with a healthy roster. So you need to start saying "I'd rather have tough guy xx over Plotnikov or Cullen or Bennett or Sheary, etc"

71GenoMalkin

Jul 13, 2010
If one more person says "I'll take tough guy xx over Porter on my 4th line" I might, I don't know, get more annoyed. No one wants Porter on the team and he won't be with a healthy roster. So you need to start saying "I'd rather have tough guy xx over Plotnikov or Cullen or Bennett or Sheary, etc"

Sorry to ruffle your feathers :). I was simple trying to make the point that we seem to be favouring these types of "vanilla" players, as they are referred to on these boards rather than the Farnhams of the world who play with a bit of jam.

Last edited:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

I will take 'tough guy' over Plotnikov, Cullen, or Bennett on my 4th line. Plotnikov has done absolutely zero since he's been here. His main claim to fame thus far is standing there like a dolt while Prout hacked away on him. Cullen is a 38 year old journeyman. And Bennett has no business being on a 4th line, and even if we would have 9 superstar forwards and there's no place for Beau, he can't stay healthy for more than 5 consecutive games.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
John Scott has played 9 games for the Coyotes this year.

In those 9 games, the Coyotes are 3-6.

In those 9 games, they've scored 2.9gpg and they've surrendered 3.9gpg. Both numbers are actually above their season averages (2.7gFpg and 3.15gApg).

In those 9 games, the trio of Boedker, Domi, and Duclair (guys I think would benefit from the safety and security of John Scott) have combined for 15pts and -10.

that's 1.67ppg

The trio's season average is 2.03ppg.

Last year, with the Sharks, no player broke 70pts, and no one in the Couture, Pavelski, Thornton, Marleau group saw an increase in stats (Couture and Pavelski stayed about par, Thornton and Marleau had drop offs).

I'm pretty sure I could go through Scott's entire career and find absolutely no correlation between his presence and an uptick in performance.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Because you're annoyingly wrong in every which way on this subject. You literally have no clue what you're talking about and it's reached a critically comical level.

Actually if you go through my posts I made very solid statements that would be hard to counter.

Look at your post, you address not one point but then counter with they are all comical.

I'll stand by my opinions that I have posted here now for several years. People laugh, people gang up and belittle but as the years go by i am continually proven right.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
So then just sit back and watch Crosby (who I haven't ever been a huge fan of, though know is he is great) get cheapshotted on every shift until he loses interest in even playing anymore. Put Scott on the team and pay him to get suspended just to support you star players. nuff' said. (doesn't have to be Scott)

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I will take 'tough guy' over Plotnikov, Cullen, or Bennett on my 4th line. Plotnikov has done absolutely zero since he's been here. His main claim to fame thus far is standing there like a dolt while Prout hacked away on him. Cullen is a 38 year old journeyman. And Bennett has no business being on a 4th line, and even if we would have 9 superstar forwards and there's no place for Beau, he can't stay healthy for more than 5 consecutive games.

Wow. What did you expect from Plot that he hasn't produced except a few goals by now? Pleeease tell me what your unhappy with Cullen about. Bennett on the 4th line we agree with that.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
As I've made clear on this board countless times, I don't like Sidney Crosby. I enjoy watching him take abuse. That, and that alone, is the only logical reason I do not want the team to sign an enforcer.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario

In those 9 games, they've scored 2.9gpg and they've surrendered 3.9gpg. Both numbers are actually above their season averages (2.7gFpg and 3.15gApg).

In those 9 games, the trio of Boedker, Domi, and Duclair (guys I think would benefit from the safety and security of John Scott) have combined for 15pts and -10.

that's 1.67ppg

Last year, with the Sharks, no player broke 70pts, and no one in the Couture, Pavelski, Thornton, Marleau group saw an increase in stats (Couture and Pavelski stayed about par, Thornton and Marleau had drop offs).

I'm pretty sure I could go through Scott's entire career and find absolutely no correlation between his presence and an uptick in performance.

When Matt Kassian was inserted into the line-up (an enforcer who was arguably worse than John Scott) Ottawa's record was 10-4-6. Ottawa's overall record for the 2013-2014 season was 37-31-14.

Conclusion, there is a direct correlation in Ottawa performing better with Matt Kassian in the line-up. :sarcasm:

Sidney Crosby's and Evgeni Malkin's PPG this season have dropped significantly compared to their PPG in 2008-2009 (where Eric Godard played 71 games). There is only one possible explanation to why the two have not performed as well offensively. The team does not have an enforcer in the line-up. :sarcasm:

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

that's 1.67ppg

Do the Coyotes employ Sid, Geno, Kessel and or Letang?

Once you answer that question then you might understand why a guy like Scott would serve more of a purpose here than in Arizona.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Do the Coyotes employ Sid, Geno, Kessel and or Letang?

Once you answer that question then you might understand why a guy like Scott would serve more of a purpose here than in Arizona.

How would John Scott be a deterrence for players seeking to hurt Sid and Geno? He'd never be on the ice when they are so if someone hurt them all he could do is stew from the bench.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
How would John Scott be a deterrence for players seeking to hurt Sid and Geno? He'd never be on the ice when they are so if someone hurt them all he could do is stew from the bench.

Who knows. But I think it would be fun to watch him go completely bonkers when a guy like Dubinsky or Staal earholes Sid with stick.

And that would be a much better feeling than I have currently watching Sid skate off the ice sad and depressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad