Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Rangers 3 - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Sweep

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have stated before, my great fear returning home is the desire to put on a show for the home crowd.

The Pens can not win that way. The Rangers have more talent and the Pens only chance is to play the same patient game taking away the strength of the Rangers, their speed, and hope that with the few chances remaining you bury them when you get that chance. Hope that they are the ones who get frustrated and make the mistakes that go the other way.

That is far easier on the road than at home where the fans are impatient.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I have stated before, my great fear returning home is the desire to put on a show for the home crowd.

The Pens can not win that way. The Rangers have more talent and the Pens only chance is to play the same patient game taking away the strength of the Rangers, their speed, and hope that with the few chances remaining you bury them when you get that chance. Hope that they are the ones who get frustrated and make the mistakes that go the other way.

Good catch.

Counter point: Does a jazzed crowd get Geno going? Pretty clear that his inability to wind it up on the controlled breakout or win puck battles as frequently has helped erode his offensive confidence (even he admitted that). But, that's a guy who, more than anyone else on the team, feeds off the home crowd.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Good catch.

Counter point: Does a jazzed crowd get Geno going? Pretty clear that his inability to wind it up on the controlled breakout or win puck battles as frequently has helped erode his offensive confidence (even he admitted that). But, that's a guy who, more than anyone else on the team, feeds off the home crowd.

Only if an excited crowd has the ability to heal injuries.

It is pretty obvious both he and Perron are fighting something. Until that resolves I fail to see how the crowd matters much.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Only if an excited crowd has the ability to heal injuries.

It is pretty obvious both he and Perron are fighting something. Until that resolves I fail to see how the crowd matters much.

You know, you're an older fan, so you may appreciate this: I've been saying for a week that watching him skate is like watching Jagr try to go in the playoffs with a torn groin. Sometimes, you watch, and you just wonder how he's even skating. Then, a critical moment comes or the puck gets near, and the adrenaline kicks in and you get a play like that game changing clear of the puck (likely) going into the Pens net. I think the crowd can feed the adrenaline.

The other issue is that he's not confident right now. Maybe his back makes him feel like his shot sucks. Maybe his inability to wind it up and skate with the puck and dance guys is creating a general lack of confidence. Whatever it is, you know when he's down in some way and playing at home, he becomes more confident with the crowd behind him (it's not like we haven't seen this countless times).

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I hate steiggy, but the hobey baker joke was probably the best thing he's said while on the air.

The guys' been dead for almost 100 years, its not 'too soon'.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Pengs are favourite to win the serie now - AV need this lesson imho.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Crosby & Malkin will exploit the Rangers defense as they did last game. AV won't use Talbot, because Hank have 8 mil. salary. Hayes & Nash is soft and the Brassard line doesn't connect that well, unfortunately. And AV don't use MSL properly is enough tactical failure so Pengs win. AV won't use Sheppard with 6 playoffs pts last season in 7 games, which is the only reason why Glen Sather signed him in the first place.
Because he has some sort of obsession with Tanner Glass from the nucks period, and obviously tunnel vission as a Ranger coach.

Personally, I was looking forward to see zuccarello playing with Norway in May (World Championship 2015) with Patrick Thoresen who won KHL in Russia recently. :)
LGR! :handclap:

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

hardly.

Rangers are faster, bigger, more physical, they have a deeper team, they have the best blue line in the league, and the best goalie in the league.

AV has led a team to the Finals before, while MJ is in his first year. AV has seen that MJ is slow to react, so he was suckering him in with two games worth of stretch passes, and look, they came damn close to taking a 2-0 lead.

It's been on the back of some fluky goals and some horrible officiating that the Penguins were even able to eek out one lucky win.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hockey is such a mental game.. more so than any other sport.

I saw the awesome Ranger defense on their heels against the Penguins 2nd powerplay unit. Meanwhile the pitiful AHL defense of the Penguins is shutting down the Rangers stretch game - something that has been making mince meat of the league this year.

Not sure what to expect going forward. I don't see this team being able to beat the Rangers in an elimination game.. so even if they win the next 2 - i still think they'll lose the series.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
After G2, I am a much bigger believer in HCMJ's ability to adjust than DB ever showed. There weren't earth shattering changes, but the Pens really controlled a lot of the stuff NYR does well.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

just ignore all the unbelievers. I'm with you and that's all that matters. we just took the momentum and now have them at home for the next 2 games. we got guys coming back healthy. adams on the bench soon to follow will be scuds/lovejoy. we will be playing the kids from wbs and the rags will implode, all is good. oh! and by the way world peace will soon follow. :)
edit; and since I'm on a roll .....Anaheim has a food shortage.....fatty is eating everyone out of house and home.......the duck will be forced to trade him back...fatty+first round pick for scuds + adams ... for the good of the city.

Last edited:

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012

The good news is that there will be more Rangers fans in the crowd than Pens fans! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad