Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Preds 2 - SCH is #BESTFORBUSINESS

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
I was totally spaced out due to the All-Star break: Why did Rowney play? I thought Kuhnackl was healthy. Also do just want Sundqvist to keep playing a lot of minutes or something? I figured he'd get a call in a situation like this.

Sundqvist is injured so couldn't come up. He should be back to playing soon, but probably won't be called up before Cullen is back. If he had been healthy he probably would've, though Rowney is producing similarly well at the AHL level.

Kuhnhackl is a winger. With Geno and Cullen out we had Fehr move to center and Guentzel was tried one game and Rowney the next.

Kuhnhackl might play against CBJ though with Sheary out. He played the game before the break.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm just paranoid that they're gonna take Wilson out of the line-up.

I think he's probably safe. He was playing pretty poor (or maybe average) hockey in November and, while Sully scratched him once or twice, that's about where it stopped. It would have been easy to take him out of the lineup instead of Fehr, but Sullivan did the exact opposite.

And actually, there was someone on Madden's show (Rupp? Bourque?) who was saying they expected Wilson to be the guy to move up the lineup if Guentzel continues his little bit of growing pains.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
when is this from? I don't want to sound like an elitist, but you can tell hockey is a niche sport by the amount of casual fans it has. gross...

You can't actually tell a fan's passion from their knowledge of the sport. Seems weird, but there it is.

For example, when I was back in the States in June to visit family, my brother took me to a baseball game, because after being abroad for 3 years, I was craving live baseball the way a crackhead craves the narcotic cocaine in a smokeable form. While I was at the game, I ended up explaining to some season ticket holders in my section what OPS and WHIP are. They'd been wondering what they were since the team had started displaying them on the scoreboard, which I assume started at the beginning of the season. Yet, they were season ticket holders who go to most of the games every year, so it's hard to question their love of baseball...just their knowledge.

Interestingly, my brother was able to help explain OPS and WHIP, despite being...a casual fan of baseball.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think he's probably safe. He was playing pretty poor (or maybe average) hockey in November and, while Sully scratched him once or twice, that's about where it stopped. It would have been easy to take him out of the lineup instead of Fehr, but Sullivan did the exact opposite.

Yeah you're right. If they stuck with him through that it's unlikely they'd scratch him when he's playing like this.

But the Sheary injury makes the whole thing moot anyway.

And actually, there was someone on Madden's show (Rupp? Bourque?) who was saying they expected Wilson to be the guy to move up the lineup if Guentzel continues his little bit of growing pains.

I'd like to see him moved up. I know he didn't work out there earlier this season, but he looks a lot more comfortable right now and maybe Sheary's situation gives him an opportunity. Only problem is that Rust and Horny don't seem like good "opposite wing" guys for him. All of them have energy and determination for days but not much in the way of puck skills.

I dunno. Maybe try Wilson-Bones-Kessel.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
After years of not having any home grown guys we finally have guys drafted and developed by the pens. Crazy that we got Wilson with the third last pick in the draft.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah you're right. If they stuck with him through that it's unlikely they'd scratch him when he's playing like this.

But the Sheary injury makes the whole thing moot anyway.

I'd like to see him moved up. I know he didn't work out there earlier this season, but he looks a lot more comfortable right now and maybe Sheary's situation gives him an opportunity. Only problem is that Rust and Horny don't seem like good "opposite wing" guys for him. All of them have energy and determination for days but not much in the way of puck skills.

I dunno. Maybe try Wilson-Bones-Kessel.

Another thing that sucks about Sheary getting hurt is that I feel like he's pretty perfect as an opposite wing guy to Wilson, assuming Wilson doesn't shoot at 5% for his entire career.

But yeah. I think Wilson's got it in him to be more than an energy/fourth liner.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
How come all the good players get injured, but Chris Kunitz and Nick Bonino never get injured?

(And yes, I know/agree that Kunitz has been good on the fourth line, but as long as he's around, there's a non-zero chance he'll be rewarded for his good play on the fourth line by moving up with Crosby again. Also, I still think he sucks on the PK.)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Another thing that sucks about Sheary getting hurt is that I feel like he's pretty perfect as an opposite wing guy to Wilson, assuming Wilson doesn't shoot at 5% for his entire career.

But yeah. I think Wilson's got it in him to be more than an energy/fourth liner.

Yeah they could complement each other nicely. Neither's afraid to shoot either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad