Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Preds 2 - SCH is #BESTFORBUSINESS

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Can we also talk about how great Kuni has been on the 4th line? Seriously? He has been nothing outside of fantastic since being moved down there. I know it's tough for you guys to acknowledge his play this season, but his numbers are still pretty good.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He's playing in his proper role. I think that 4th line will look much better when Cullen's back. Fehr's been decent, but Cullen's better along the boards and will give that line some more speed.

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
He's playing in his proper role. I think that 4th line will look much better when Cullen's back. Fehr's been decent, but Cullen's better along the boards and will give that line some more speed.
If Cullen´s back, I hope he will go to 3th line for Bonino and then Bonino or Fehr will could be both on 4th. Now it´s time give third some proper center and speed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Who do you think comes out of the line-up?

If it's who I think, the 4th line will not improve.

when is this from? I don't want to sound like an elitist, but you can tell hockey is a niche sport by the amount of casual fans it has. gross...

Last night, believe it or not.

Horny had a comment after the game about how he thought him and Sid play well together. I don't know if that comment was directed at Sully or Sid or both.

They do seem to play pretty well together though historically.

Yeah, they've always played well together. The only problem has been who's played LW prior to Sheary.

Imagine if a fan showed up with a "We WANT MURRAY" sign last fall like that.

man-shot-from-cannon-o.gif

Right out of Consol.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
when is this from? I don't want to sound like an elitist, but you can tell hockey is a niche sport by the amount of casual fans it has. gross...

I want fleury gone as much as anyone, but this makes no sense. Usually the more niche the sport is the more passionate that fanbase is.

The bigger the sport the more the casuals they'll be because they are hoping on the cool thing. Look how many casuals watch the superbowl. How many casuals watch the cup finals?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Who do you think comes out of the line-up?

If it's who I think, the 4th line will not improve.

Fehr was scratched before. He isn't playing over Kunitz. And Wilson has only played better and better this season.

Ideally, we move Fehr for a depth D when Cullen's back. And upgrade the RW position so we can slot Rust back with Cullen. And then the competition is for Kunitz's spot.

Unless there's some massive D upgrade out there, I hope JR's looking at bringing in another top 9 winger if he's looking at doing anything.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
so glad the Pens won that after such horrible calls by the officials. specifically the Too Many Men (not even close) and the offside on Letang that wasn't even close to coming all the way over the blue line.

To be fair, they missed like 3-4 easy icing calls that randomly weren't called in the Pens favor. Also a defensive zone stoppage should have occurred after their guy getting hit in the eye with a puck.

Poor game all around by the refs.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Fehr was scratched before. He isn't playing over Kunitz. And Wilson has only played better and better this season.

Ideally, we move Fehr for a depth D when Cullen's back. And upgrade the RW position so we can slot Rust back with Cullen. And then the competition is for Kunitz's spot.

Unless there's some massive D upgrade out there, I hope JR's looking at bringing in another top 9 winger if he's looking at doing anything.

That would be ideal.

And you're right, they did scratch Fehr before. I'm just paranoid that they're gonna take Wilson out of the line-up.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah Kunitz has been great on the 4th line. I really can't complain with his play since moving there. He's playing a simple, hard game. I don't know if it's less minutes, lower competition, or him changing his mindset but he's playing that wrecking ball style he used to (not with the same speed or intensity, but more than when he's dragging down the top lines).

He's obviously way overpaid for that role, but he's making a difference and he and Wilson seem to have some chemistry. Fehr has also been solid as a center.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah Kunitz has been great on the 4th line. I really can't complain with his play since moving there. He's playing a simple, hard game. I don't know if it's less minutes, lower competition, or him changing his mindset but he's playing that wrecking ball style he used to (not with the same speed or intensity, but more than when he's dragging down the top lines).

He's obviously way overpaid for that role, but he's making a difference and he and Wilson seem to have some chemistry. Fehr has also been solid as a center.

As a card-carrying Kunitz hater, I can admit that he's looked rejuvenated on the bottom line so far. It was an awful low bar to clear, but he's been a solid 4th liner.

For the love of God, let's just hope that isn't interpreted as a sign to move him back up the line-up.

Haha......that's 95% of the Pens fans I know.

3cd8a33a.png

johnniewalker

Dec 14, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Kunitz has looked fine on the fourth line. Fehr has looked like he's really stepped it up since his benching and is a good 4C. I think that Cullen could play some 3C when he gets healthy and sit Bonino for a few to get his head straight.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
To be fair to Sully, I think he is right about using Kessel on a 3rd line. But it's imperative that we have a 3rd line that works. Bonino doesn't work. But Kessel/Geno weren't going out and dominating games left/right through their entire time together. Depth is the right answer. Bonino's current state is also the wrong solution.

I mean... they pretty much were. High positive possession and close to 70% GF is dominating. I'm not sure how much better it would have to be.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kunitz has looked fine on the fourth line. Fehr has looked like he's really stepped it up since his benching and is a good 4C. I think that Cullen could play some 3C when he gets healthy and sit Bonino for a few to get his head straight.

Kunitz-Cullen-Fehr-Wilson. Only room for 3. I think Wilson adds a lot to that line in the skills dept. Who sits. Tough call Sully has when Cullen comes back. But you're right, maybe Hags-Cully-Kessel can get something going.

If you have Malkin and Kessel on a line together they're going to have the puck a lot. It's a question of chemistry and maximizing the entire forward corps.

This. I really want to see Guentzel-Malkin-Kessel back together when Malkin comes back. I really liked what that line had to offer in those 5 games.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
so glad the Pens won that after such horrible calls by the officials. specifically the Too Many Men (not even close) and the offside on Letang that wasn't even close to coming all the way over the blue line.

Or the four different OBVIOUS penalties the Pens conmitted that weren't called? If anything, it's the Preds fans that should be angry about the refs.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Anyone else thinking of changing their name to "Classic Horny Goal" - said by our killer announcer Paul S after his second?

I almost threw up when I heard that.

Ugh, listening to him gush about anything and everything is nauseating.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I almost threw up when I heard that.

Ugh, listening to him gush about anything and everything is nauseating.

When it's Horny scoring goals on Sid's RW, I have no issues.

When it's about Kunitz gushing about his once upon a time clear out of the dzone and a duffed shot into the chest of the goalie...that's when I throw up.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
First time ever (outside of some pre-season games) that Letang wore the 'A'?

20170131pdPenguinsSports08-1.jpg

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Kunitz-Cullen-Fehr-Wilson. Only room for 3. I think Wilson adds a lot to that line in the skills dept. Who sits. Tough call Sully has when Cullen comes back. But you're right, maybe Hags-Cully-Kessel can get something going.

This. I really want to see Guentzel-Malkin-Kessel back together when Malkin comes back. I really liked what that line had to offer in those 5 games.

With Sheary out it makes things a little more fluid for the next 4-6 weeks. I'd like to see Hagelin-Sid-Horny, Guentzel-Bonino/Cullen-Kessel, Wilson-Fehr-Rust and Kunitz-Bonino/Cullen-Kuhnhackl.

Once Sheary and Malkin are back though, I think Kuhn is a safe bet to sit (as much as I disagree with it). If recent history is a factor, Fehr also seems like an odd man out. Obviously there's 2 incredibly worthy guys who deserve to sit more but I don't see it happening.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There will always be someone injured. I wouldn't trade any of them unless we need the cap space for other moves.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I was totally spaced out due to the All-Star break: Why did Rowney play? I thought Kuhnackl was healthy. Also do just want Sundqvist to keep playing a lot of minutes or something? I figured he'd get a call in a situation like this.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was totally spaced out due to the All-Star break: Why did Rowney play? I thought Kuhnackl was healthy. Also do just want Sundqvist to keep playing a lot of minutes or something? I figured he'd get a call in a situation like this.

Sunny was injured. Not sure if he still is. We needed another center with Cullen and Geno out.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's dumbfounding to me that Wilson doesn't score on more of his shots. I'll continue to believe he's just unlucky because I can't identify anything he's not doing right and I've been looking for something all year. Great hockey from him lately, anyway.

Flip Jake and Hags and I like this.

I think playing with Bonino might be a taller order right now for a rook than playing with Geno, counterintuitive as that sounds in a vacuum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad