Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Jets 1: Was This Kunitz's Last Game as a Penguin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Get Maatta some rest.

++ Hagelin
+Fleury bailed them out early.
+Wilson, Rust, Kuhnhackl
+Letang

- D-zone recovery is horrible

Those three guys should be on our playoff roster. Wilson and Kuhn give us some badly needed LW depth. When BB and Fehr are back, a good player is going to have to sit.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
having malkin back improves kessel/hagelin by a lot (duh)

but yeah... i don't see kunitz getting moved. sigh.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
:fight:

- people who only watch when Geno is playing and call themselves Pens fans

:fight:

You better not be talking about me, ******. I just spent a vacation watching every game on an I Phone with my wife ******* at me about all the evenings where I was 'too tired to go out'. :rant:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Those three guys should be on our playoff roster. Wilson and Kuhn give us some badly needed LW depth. When BB and Fehr are back, a good player is going to have to sit.

As much as I've advocated another guy being in the line-up over Kuhn, he's been good recently and had a very good game today.

There was one time when he chased down a loose puck to negate an icing when the Jets defenseman had a step on him that impressed me. Really had his skating legs this afternoon.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Gentelmen, ask yourselves, when was the last time our team was fully healthy? I'm perfectly happy having a helluva good 13th forward, it's just a matter of time before he is back in the lineup.

Maybe if we ignore it/them, drop the injury thread, maybe we'll never notice it?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That lane between Hags and Kessel is wide open all day with everyone overplaying Geno. Has the makings of a 20 goal season for Hags over 82, but ultimately people are going to turn on him because Mike Bossy would score 100 if he got the same looks.

Wilson keeps using craftiness to get on the board. I'm not sold that he's just a depth player. When a wing's ready to move up the lineup, this is what that looks like (none of this "how do you expect such and such to score more than 0-2 goals with (guy that's better than they are)"). They overscore their opportunity. Or maybe he's just having a good week.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That lane between Hags and Kessel is wide open all day with everyone overplaying Geno. Has the makings of a 20 goal season for Hags over 82, but ultimately people are going to turn on him because Mike Bossy would score 100 if he got the same looks.

Wilson keeps using craftiness to get on the board. I'm not sold that he's just a depth player. When a wing's ready to move up the lineup, this is what that looks like (none of this "how do you expect such and such to score more than 0-2 goals with (guy that's better than they are)"). They overscore their opportunity. Or maybe he's just having a good week.

Kessel's looking for Hagelin like he did with Bozak. Definite comfort level there. And Malkin just provides more space. Only thing I worry about is net presence or that line is largely all off the rush. Malkin's gonna need to play between the dots, alot.

Agreed with Wilson. He's better than I thought. His smarts make up for a lack of size or high end speed.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
Someone needs to call up Florida and tell them we have a two-time cup winner and Olympic Gold medalist they can have for a bucket of gravy.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
That second line looked great. So did Pouliot, Kuhn, Wilson, Rust. Fleury looked solid too.

On Kunitz: I highly doubt that Kunitz gets moved, but one can always hope. It makes no sense to me that Sullivan seems to realize near the end of games that Kunitz isn't working on the 1st line and tries someone else with Crosby for only 1 or 2 shifts, then goes back to Kunitz again the next game or later in the same game. I am really hoping he was convinced to "showcase" Kunitz in an attempt to increase his value. Unfortunately, I think more realistically the coaches legitimately think he is our best winger and belongs on the first line. It is time for GMJR to break up the Kunitz love affair, my only concern is that the rest of the ring wraiths are also drinking the Kunitz Kool-aid, or that other teams' GMs know better. Shame.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Kessel's looking for Hagelin like he did with Bozak. Definite comfort level there. And Malkin just provides more space. Only thing I worry about is net presence or that line is largely all off the rush. Malkin's gonna need to play between the dots, alot.

Agreed with Wilson. He's better than I thought. His smarts make up for a lack of size or high end speed.

Geno doesn't just provides the space, he's making a lot of short quick passes that allow this line to move the puck effectively (he does a lot of breakout passes to spring Hagelin or Kessel freely enter the zone). Also, it seems, they're reading well off each other on the circle. Some good give-and-go action at times. But the three of them need to do a better job in the d-zone, imo.

Also, I often criticize Phil, but today he played a good game. More of this, please.

Last edited:

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Cole looks fine to me. No need to add anything more than depth at the position. Especially if they think Lovejoy will be back soon. Otherwise, pursue buying low or hockey deals.

We have been through this "Cole looks fine" thing before. Benching him seems to have helped for now, but he isnt trustworthy. Good game today and against Buffalo though, i'll give him credit.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We have been through this "Cole looks fine" thing before. Benching him seems to have helped for now, but he isnt trustworthy. Good game today and against Buffalo though, i'll give him credit.

It's all about matchups I think for certain players. bruising team use X and a fast skilled team use y.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
I said it before and i'll say it again. If they just coach up Ian Cole to "simplify" his game this board will be surprised at how good he can be. I think he was just trying too hard and that makes you play outside of yourself.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's all about matchups I think for certain players. bruising team use X and a fast skilled team use y.

That and he's on the bottom pairing with Pouliot where he's really, really not the important part of the pairing. Cole just needs to not **** up horribly and it will be okay. He was good today and if that can be maintained the defense starts to look a lot less shaky going forward.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Hagsy should score more goals just because Hagsy hat-trick is a great alliteration.

Malkin looked rusty but was still one of the best players on the ice. Re-introduced himself with the typical dumb penalty though :laugh:

Pouliot-Cole pairing looked good and Maatta bounced back too.

Kühnhackl really surpises me. I saw not a lot potential anymore, mostly because of his injury problems, but he is making Erich proud and I like that.

Willies goal was great. He most certainly has the hot hand right now and it would be nice to reward him with a start in the top 6. He does a lot right at the moment.

Sheary should go to WBS soon though. I'm not hating on him like earlier in the season but he has major consistency problems. He varies from good to ok to horrific on a shift by shift basis.

ps: MAF playing great right at time to boost his trade value :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad