Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Habs 3 (OT) - Canadian Bacon II: CBC Calls Kunitz Lazy, Steigy Declares War

Status
Not open for further replies.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Kessel is 5th in overall scoring, 17th in ES scoring.

While I can't look up the data right now, I'm fairly certain that he has less than 3 ES points playing with Bonino while the majority of his ES points have been with Malkin. And if we go back to the first month when he was playing with HBK, he had 1 ES goal for the longest time, masked by the fact that he had a killer amount of points on the PP.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
While I can't look up the data right now, I'm fairly certain that he has less than 3 ES points playing with Bonino while the majority of his ES points have been with Malkin. And if we go back to the first month when he was playing with HBK, he had 1 ES goal for the longest time, masked by the fact that he had a killer amount of points on the PP.

I'm not sure where to find that, but I do know he was tied for 4th in league scoring in Dec despite being bounced all over the place. 17 points in Dec, 11 at ES. 5 ES goals this month. 7 points in his last 6 games, 3 at ES. Not sure who he was on with for them.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Hey guys, great game last night. Third period was a very playoff like atmosphere. Just looked at the schedule and it looks like after the December 31 game the Pens don't play till January 8? Whats up with that break?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hey guys, great game last night. Third period was a very playoff like atmosphere. Just looked at the schedule and it looks like after the December 31 game the Pens don't play till January 8? Whats up with that break?

Every team has a week off at some point this season.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I still don't like Hornqvist on Geno's line. He's a relative afterthought there and Rust isn't doing Sid any favours in PH's usual spot.

But coach is trying stuff. We're winning and it's December, so whatever.

Good on Sully for keeping Schultz on PP1.

I think people are saying they don't like 72 on Geno's line because of past looks. He's been terrific this time with Geno. There is no other way to put it.

The issue is Rust on Sid's line, if anything. Rust went from being one of the pure bright spots each night to really struggling out there with Sid. So with that, I think it's a better argument to get Rust kicking back with Geno than trying to move Hornqvist at this point.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think people are saying they don't like 72 on Geno's line because of past looks. He's been terrific this time with Geno. There is no other way to put it.

The issue is Rust on Sid's line, if anything. Rust went from being one of the pure bright spots each night to really struggling out there with Sid. So with that, I think it's a better argument to get Rust kicking back with Geno than trying to move Hornqvist at this point.

Or put Rust back into a 3rd line role and give Kessel and Sid a shot.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It looked like Sully was giving it a couple looks last game. He knows Rust is struggling and it's definitely time to try Kessel w/ Sid. But the shifts they went out were ugly. Would love to see him get a chance for 5-6 games.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
It looked like Sully was giving it a couple looks last game. He knows Rust is struggling and it's definitely time to try Kessel w/ Sid. But the shifts they went out were ugly. Would love to see him get a chance for 5-6 games.

Kessel's sporadic shifts with everyone mid game looks ugly. They need to let them practice as a line and play as a line for more than one shift per period. It's hard to pick up the timing of new linemates and their tendencies especially when you haven't played regularly with them even strength in a full year. SULLY PLEASE! PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I still don't like Hornqvist on Geno's line. He's a relative afterthought there and Rust isn't doing Sid any favours in PH's usual spot.

But coach is trying stuff. We're winning and it's December, so whatever.

Good on Sully for keeping Schultz on PP1.

As we know it takes some time to learn how to play with Sid. I think Rust's game meshes with him well. It's really just about time and reps. Sully can do it in spurts.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
As we know it takes some time to learn how to play with Sid. I think Rust's game meshes with him well. It's really just about time and reps. Sully can do it in spurts.

I guess, but I still wonder why we dont play the RW who has had success with Crosby for the past two years including his hot start this year. Rust has looked good with both Bonino and Malkin, play him with them.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Ideally, this is what I would like to see:

Sheary Sid Kessel-hasn't really been given a chance yet. Kessel is an elite passer and Crosby is scoring goals, maybe together they can magnify each other's strengths.

HGH-the new kcd, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hagelin has incredible speed, and Hornqvist is one of the best net front guys in the league. If they can play their roles, Geno should have plenty of space.

Guentzel Bonino Rust. We know Kunitz won't be scratched, but like I said, ideal lines.

Wilson Cullen Kuhnackl.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing Sid and his coaches know he likes to be with possession guys. Kessel is an off-the-rush guy. He brings something we love/needed because he will randomly throw pucks at the net, even if he's right at the goal line. I don't think Sid likes that style of play. Sid would rather possess, cycle, and go to work.

That's just speculation based off how they play and what they like to play with. I am guessing the coaches just know it won't work and probably know based off basic conversations it won't work with the players.

But I still want to see it to make sure.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think part of the problem was Sheary was the other winger on that Sid/Kessel line. Kessel seems to "click" when the other winger can do all the dirty work. Sheary, for as gutsy as he is, simply can't do what guys like Hornqvist/Hagelin can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad