Post-Game Talk: Pens 4 Habs 0 | Beau + The Boys Win One for the Duper

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Off topic, but Nashville Scored 9 goals; Only players without points, James Neal, Oli Jokinen, Volchenkov.

I think hornqvist should move back with sid, and move kunitz down. I dont mind MJ trying all sorts of different things right now though.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also... to the "You guys should stop *****ing because look at their shiny regular season wins" crowd -- you realize how hilarious that is based on recent history, yes?

I'm not denigrating what Johnston has done. The guy is really making a believer out of me. But come on.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Also... to the "You guys should stop *****ing because look at their shiny regular season wins" crowd -- you realize how hilarious that is based on recent history, yes?

I'm not denigrating what Johnston has done. The guy is really making a believer out of me. But come on.

Right, but remember the plan was to have a whole bunch of different plans? Try many line combinations for several games at a time to see who works and who doesnt work well together?

I'll be shocked if bennett doesn't a decent amount of time on malkin or crosby's line this year; barring some fantastic unrealistic trade.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
OK.

Well, then... I don't understand your initial nit to pick.

Were you just lecturing me on the importance of a good third line? Because they'll still have that with Bennett finding his way into the top six if all goes well. It's one of the things I was looking forward to seeing the most, this year. The team going out and getting Downie, Comeau, Spaling and re-upping Goc to surround and compliment Sutter pretty much guaranteed that this would be the year we'd finally see a good third line again.

But Bennett should only be part of those plans temporarily if he's creating chances and putting up points. It's blowing the brains out of the back of my skull that people are trying to argue to the contrary. The team didn't draft him in the first round to play him on the bottom lines. He isn't Tyler Kennedy.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
OK.

Were you just lecturing me on the importance of a good third line? Because they'll still have that with Bennett finding his way into the top six if all goes well. It's one of the things I was looking forward to seeing the most, this year. The team going out and getting Downie, Comeau, Spaling and re-upping Goc to surround and compliment Sutter pretty much guaranteed that this would be the year we'd finally see a good third line again.

But Bennett should only be part of those plans temporarily if he's creating chances and putting up points. It's blowing the brains out of the back of my skull that people are trying to argue to the contrary. The team didn't draft him in the first round to play him on the bottom lines. He isn't Tyler Kennedy.

I'm saying everything right now is a possibility in the playoffs... Unless adams starts regularly taking shifts with sid, I can see justification for pretty much everything they are trying. Sutter and Bennett do seem to have great chemistry and I think it is important to be a 3 line team and not 2.

Michael8771*

I'm not worried about regular season success either. I am however convinced that having three scoring lines is a formula for success when it matters most. We can have that even if Bennett stays put with Sutter. Clearly JR needs to do some maneuvering, but at least there's a third line in place that can and should consistently contribute at both ends. Unless they simply can't function I leave it alone and focus on fixing lines 1,2 and 4. One legitimate top six addition will have a positive impact on the rest of the forwards. In theory anyhow. It'll push Sill out, push Spaling and Comeau down, and everybody plays where their skillset is better utilized.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
OK.

I really think the top six is a dumpster fire, and the lack of talent up there isn't going to be able to fix things by just moving the current guys around. That's why I think BB will get his shot if he keeps playing well.

They had a good third line already and have more than enough guys to make it pretty dangerous: Sutter, Dupuis, Comeau, Downie, Spaling, and Goc.

I think we are all projecting our frustrations and years of DB ridiculous handling of young guys, onto MJ and want him to be the complete opposite. However, I get the feeling he is like any other coach and wants to see guys earn it.

Spaling, Comeau and ya, Dupuis have been playing all season and had good games here and there. So they are going to get first dibs. That seems obvious. If BB does what every young guys has done for years and keeps showing he can stay healthy and is ready for top six duty, I feel confident MJ will slot him there eventually.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
60% of the shots are for the other team when Adams is on the ice......while 67% of the goals are. Those numbers just aren't NHL worthy and will eventually cost us games.

So, I was reading your post and found myself somewhat agreeing with quite a bit of it. However overblown the points made considering how well we are doing.

But the bolded is some shameful use of stats :D. I mean seriously, did you think it would go unnoticed? Did you have a little laugh with yourself when you wrote that?
67% in this case refers to the fact that two goals have been scored against us ES with Adams on the ice, whereas one has been scored in favor with him. Yes - that's the -1 one he has right there.

The fact that the 4th line has gone from being a terrible, terrible line to virtually blanked out time either way is a major win for us so far. Yes, lots has to do with Goc, and just as much to do with lots of offensive zone draws rather than Bylsma master plan of having them be a shut down line, but just the same.
At this point of the season, it is all good. We are full health away from that line being something like Adams Goc Comeau, and a trade away from it being Spaling Goc Comeau where suddenly it rocks as far as 4th lines go. Certainly in any kind of world Pens fans feel at home. It could be better still, sure, but come on down.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not worried about regular season success either. I am however convinced that having three scoring lines is a formula for success when it matters most. We can have that even if Bennett stays put with Sutter. Clearly JR needs to do some maneuvering, but at least there's a third line in place that can and should consistently contribute at both ends. Unless they simply can't function I leave it alone and focus on fixing lines 1,2 and 4. One legitimate top six addition will have a positive impact on the rest of the forwards. In theory anyhow. It'll push Sill out, push Spaling and Comeau down, and everybody plays where their skillset is better utilized.

And we can still have that if Bennett moves up and helps an obviously struggling top six with his creativity and puck skills. As Jiggy pointed out last night... how many times have you seen a guy in the top six aside from Crosby and Malkin beat a defender 1 V 1? Like... once?

The third line has been solid and productive all year. With or without Bennett. The top six has not. You guys are drastically overthinking this. It probably has to do with MJ's comments, right? Lemme help -- that's all just coach speak. If Bennett continues to push the issue... he'll be on a scoring line.

Michael8771*

And we can still have that if Bennett moves up and helps an obviously struggling top six with his creativity and puck skills. As Jiggy pointed out last night... how many times have you seen a guy in the top six aside from Crosby and Malkin beat a defender 1 V 1? Like... once?

The third line has been solid and productive all year. With or without Bennett. The top six has not. You guys are drastically overthinking this. It probably has to do with MJ's comments, right? Lemme help -- that's all just coach speak. If Bennett continues to push the issue... he'll be on a scoring line.
Here's why I object to moving BB. He's likely our best playmaker behind Geno and Sid. He can be a catalyst and make his linemates more productive. If he's on lines one and two that particular aspect of his game is missing from the Sutter line. Sure they'd be ok without him, but I think they'd do significantly better with him. I want each playmaker to have his own line. You then have better balance, thus you make it far more difficult to defend.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
So let me see if I understand. The Pens lead the Eastern Conference in GF/G, they lead the Eastern Conference in GA/G, their goal differential is +10 more than any other team in hockey, they are #1 on the PP, #4 on the PK, are #3 in Fenwick%, have outscored opponents 37-19 at ES, and MY GOD THIS TEAM SUCKS AND THE SKY IS FALLING.

Jesus.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So let me see if I understand. The Pens lead the Eastern Conference in GF/G, they lead the Eastern Conference in GA/G, their goal differential is +10 more than any other team in hockey, they are #1 on the PP, #4 on the PK, are #3 in Fenwick%, have outscored opponents 37-19 at ES, and MY GOD THIS TEAM SUCKS AND THE SKY IS FALLING.

Jesus.

Who is saying this?

Where?

Show me a post.

Michael8771*

Say what?:amazed:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
+ I loved Downie's non-celebration of the goal. It was the icing on the cake of a gorgeously created goal. Credit to Sutter there as well for driving to the net (open teammates can be screened just like pucks).

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The ultimate goal is to have a third line that can score and play defense. that makes the Pens top 2 lines more dangerous because when a team sells out to shut down crosby's line and puts everything else they have against Malkin's line, the third line still can win them a game. especially if it is matched correctly.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Who is saying this?

Where?

Show me a post.

"The Top 6 is a dumpster fire."

"Kunitz is garbage."

"Worst 4th line in hockey." (Though I can get on board with this)

"Comeau/Spaling/Kunitz/Sill/Adams/Dupuis all suck/shouldn't be playing where they are/need dumped/etc" (Again, agree on Adams and Sill)

Sure, there are things that can be improved up on, but man...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The ultimate goal is to have a third line that can score and play defense. that makes the Pens top 2 lines more dangerous because when a team sells out to shut down crosby's line and puts everything else they have against Malkin's line, the third line still can win them a game. especially if it is matched correctly.

A third line of Spaling/Sutter/Downie can play defense and create offense. They were doing exactly that consistently earlier this season. Downie is a good playmaker, can handle the puck and goes to the net. Sutter has a great shot, is also crafty with the puck and has great speed. Spaling helps clean up the zone and will also drive the net.

Michael8771*

"Kunitz is garbage."

"Comeau/Spaling/Kunitz/Sill/Adams/Dupuis all suck/shouldn't be playing where they are/need dumped/etc" (Again, agree on Adams and Sill)

First off I didn't say anyone sucks except Sill and Adams, and they do suck.

Beyond that, I think the majority here are extremely satisfied with the results thus far. But the regular season is seldom a problem for us. We're looking ahead as how to be more dangerous and formidable come playoff time. Simply put that's collectively our main focus. Well, it is with me.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
First off I didn't say anyone sucks except Sill and Adams, and they do suck.

Beyond that, I think the majority here are extremely satisfied with the results thus far. But the regular season is seldom a problem for us. We're looking ahead as how to be more dangerous and formidable come playoff time. Simply put that's collectively our main focus. Well, it is with me.

I agree with all of that. It just feels like some people are so jaded/pessimistic that many don't even appreciate success as it comes.

Michael8771*

A third line of Spaling/Sutter/Downie can play defense and create offense. They were doing exactly that consistently earlier this season. Downie is a good playmaker, can handle the puck and goes to the net. Sutter has a great shot, is also crafty with the puck and has great speed. Spaling helps clean up the zone and will also drive the net.
Maybe I'm being idealistic, but Spaling would be great as a 4th liner. As a third liner, meh. He's a huge downgrade from a guy like Bennett.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

"Kunitz is garbage."

Hyperbole. Welcome to the internet.

All of those things are true. Kunitz is playing like garbage. The top six is a dumpster fire as a sum total and there are a few guys playing outside of their role. Are those facts worded strongly for effect? Yeah.

Are the vast majority also largely acknowledging all of the good things the team is doing? Yeah. But, you know... ignore that part.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

"Kunitz is garbage."

The top six IS a dumpster fire.

Kunitz is far from garbage, but he is getting older and has never been a creative player or a dangerous player. He literally hasn't beaten anyone 1-1 all season. Not once. Zero times.

Fourth line? They don't play enough minutes or important enough minutes to really matter. Come playoff time, that line will need to be much improved though.

Dupuis is a third liner. Comeau is a third liner. Spaling is a third liner. And I'm a big fan of all three guys.

We know from past experience this team can win in the regular season with even an injury depleted roster. I think everyone making critiques, or at least speaking for myself, is based around where we want to see them come April.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad