Post-Game Talk: Pens 4 Habs 0 | Beau + The Boys Win One for the Duper

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ Yikes - i didn't notice that during the game. It never felt that bad... which is weird. Those stats are awful, though. Luckily great faceoff positioning to not allow that to hurt us.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
13 C SPALING, NICK
Zone
Strength Off. Def. Neu. TOT
5v5 0-1/0% 0-1/0%
TOT 0-1/0% 0-1/0%

16 C SUTTER, BRANDON
Zone
4v5 4-5/80% 4-5/80%
5v5 0-1/0% 6-10/60% 0-4/0% 6-15/40%
TOT 0-1/0% 10-15/67% 0-4/0% 10-20/50%

57 C GOC, MARCEL
Zone
4v5 1-2/50% 1-2/50%
5v5 2-3/67% 0-2/0% 0-1/0% 2-6/33%
TOT 2-3/67% 1-4/25% 0-1/0% 3-8/38%

71 C MALKIN, EVGENI
Zone
5v5 1-6/17% 3-6/50% 1-3/33% 5-15/33%
TOT 1-6/17% 3-6/50% 1-3/33% 5-15/33%

87 C CROSBY, SIDNEY
Zone
5v4 1-1/100% 1-1/100%
5v5 4-9/44% 1-5/20% 1-6/17% 6-20/30%
TOT 5-10/50% 1-5/20% 1-6/17% 7-21/33%

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20142015/FS020272.HTM

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I really think the top six is a dumpster fire, and the lack of talent up there isn't going to be able to fix things by just moving the current guys around. That's why I think BB will get his shot if he keeps playing well.

They had a good third line already and have more than enough guys to make it pretty dangerous: Sutter, Dupuis, Comeau, Downie, Spaling, and Goc.

I think we are all projecting our frustrations and years of DB ridiculous handling of young guys, onto MJ and want him to be the complete opposite. However, I get the feeling he is like any other coach and wants to see guys earn it.

Spaling, Comeau and ya, Dupuis have been playing all season and had good games here and there. So they are going to get first dibs. That seems obvious. If BB does what every young guys has done for years and keeps showing he can stay healthy and is ready for top six duty, I feel confident MJ will slot him there eventually.

The voice of reason! I really believe that BB will find his way to top 6 sooner rather than later. The 3rd line will be solid even when that happens as pretty much everyone has said. But it probably helps Bennett to play there and get his confidence while the Pens are winning. But the top 6 needs to fixed one way or another.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Dupuis injured.. Crosby goalless in 8 games. Open slot in the top 6..

We gotta roll with Comeau.. Who cares if he falls down more than Hornqvist? Who cares if he flubs every one timer? He throws hits and.. ### Beau Bennett. Just ### him. That little #### can play on his off wing on the third line. He should be thankful he even gets a roster spot. $#$!@A$#$# HIM! MAKE HIM DO ANOTHER 1000 SUICIDE DRILLS IN PRACTICE TIL HE GETS HURT AGAIN!

Thank you Beau for setting this coaching staff straight. Maybe they finally got the message. But i doubt it.

And F the Penguins media for making Fleury the first star. I know it doesn't mean anything.. but i'm so sick of them overacting on everything he does and forcing his few accomplishments down our throats. The defense blocked a million shots. Beau Bennett finally broke through the ceiling. Its bad enough every single ad on television gives the Greasebucket goalie top billing with Sid and Geno. Its like saying "Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant are coming to town! And the Brooklyn Brawler too!"

Its no wonder when you wander into the Penguins fan netherworld that is facebook and twitter most of them think Fleury is a good goalie who gets screwed out of the Vezina every year.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
4th line's issues are being masked by Goc's play in D zone. Adams and Sill need to go ASAP because they can't get puck out of own zone on the boards. Neither of those guys generate zone time, shots, scoring opts, etc. Nothing positive happens when they are out there. They don't even hit many people.

We should be able to put our 4th line out for D zone shifts and have them "punt" the puck into the Ozone for the next shift. That's all I want out of them. We have to start somewhere, because now they just exist.

60% of the shots are for the other team when Adams is on the ice......while 67% of the goals are. Those numbers just aren't NHL worthy and will eventually cost us games. He is getting dominated (Sill too). There are only so many places you can hide a dumpster fire before it's found. Those numbers aren't better than last year either. It will only take time for this to become a problem as the goals against add up. We should shoot for 50:50 on the 4th line. They need to be a net 0, not a net negative for this team.

It is pretty obvious what Letang is doing (not doing) out there that needs to be fixed. I can't understand why it isn't fixed though with this coaching staff.

I rewind every break-away against that we give up and more likely than not:

#1 Letang is on the ice.
#2 Letang's guy (IMO) is the one who gets the break away.
#3 Letang missed him because he was up on the weak side forward (by the boards, with puck on other side of ice).

This leaves the entire center of the ice wide open with Letang no way of covering it. Letang is the only one consistently making this mistake so I don't know if it's him or something the coaching staff is allowing "just him" to do. It needs to stop though.

When Duper comes back, we are one Top 6 wing trade (and we all know it's coming eventually) away from having both Sill and Adams off the roster except for injuries. Sill will likely be waived...which sucks but its not the end of the world. We have others to take his place. One wing and Duper back gives us (what I think the lines should be):

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Trade
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Comeau-Goc-Spaling

That is solid depth. A TDL pickup makes the depth and extra man even better.

On the side about Letang, we have known for quite awhile that his more risky and sometimes reckless style of play will give other teams those breaks. It's something we all should have gotten through our heads by now. We signed Scuderi for crying out loud to be his babysitter because that's what he needs...and we all know it. I highly doubt the org gives up on him. He's likely a Penguin for quite awhile. We just need to put a good defensive defender with him and it balances out. Pairing him with Maatta or Martin and it's the best we can hope for. Maybe when we have Pouliot, Harrington, Despres, and Maatta in the lineup and they all exceed any and every expectation, it can be different. But right now, Letang is and will continue to be our organization's #1 dman. They view him as that whether we do or not, whether he is or not.

Pair him with Maatta or Martin, move on, and hope for the best.

penguins2946*

We gotta roll with Comeau.. Who cares if he falls down more than Hornqvist? Who cares if he flubs every one timer? He throws hits and.. ### Beau Bennett. Just ### him. That little #### can play on his off wing on the third line. He should be thankful he even gets a roster spot. $#$!@A$#$# HIM!

Thank you Beau for setting this coaching staff straight. Maybe they finally got the message. But i doubt it.

And F the Penguins media for making Fleury the first star. I know it doesn't mean anything.. but i'm so sick of them overacting on everything he does and forcing his few accomplishments down our throats. The defense blocked a million shots. Beau Bennett finally broke through the ceiling. Its bad enough every single ad on television gives the Greasebucket goalie top billing with Sid and Geno. Its like saying "Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant are coming to town! And the Brooklyn Brawler too!"

Its no wonder when you wander into the Penguins fan netherworld that is facebook and twitter most of them think Fleury is a good goalie who gets screwed out of the Vezina every year.

The game was in Montreal, so the Montreal media decided the 3 stars. And Fleury wasn't even the first star, Bennett was. Maybe people would take your stupid post more seriously if you would actually get the information right...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As for the game, I thought the Pens played a great game start to finish. I loved every minute of it. Bennett and Sutter look possessed. I'm loving that line right now. I really hope its the 2nd coming of Cooke-Staal-Kennedy. Downie and Cooke are a wash, Staal is better than Sutter, but Bennett is light years ahead of Kennedy which balances it out.

Get other wingers for the Top 6 and leave this line alone. This kind of third line is so sorely needed in the playoffs its nauseating. Here's to the long haul boys!

I give Comeau props in many ways...but he's in over his head with Kunitz and Sid. He just is. If Dupuis is out for any length of time I would highly support putting him on LTIR and calling up Megna. Maybe it's Kunitz-Crosby-Megna, maybe it isn't. He worked well, I thought, with Malkin last year to boot. In any case, not slotting career bottom 6'ers with Sid (or even Geno in reality) should be the goal. It was very reminisce of Vitale on Sid's wing last year :lol:

I actually miss Gibbons right now...as sad as that is. He was at least mildly entertaining to watch on Sid's line, not to mention him and Goc were absolutely lethal on the PK. Sigh...oh well.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
For those saying that they would have no problem with trading Sutter (Cole, VM, Ogre).. Hopefully you understand now that we can´t afford to do it. He´s been great for 40+ games for us, offense, defense, he´s doing everything right. 3rd line is a real scoring threat now, it´s so refreshing. No ****ing way am I trading Sutter+ for Perron as some have suggested just a few days ago.

I hope you also realize that we can't win anything without Sid and Geno dominating. If other teams don't want our expendable players (Martin, Dumoulin, Ehrhoff, Dupuis, Spaling, Goc, Adams), then we may have to part with something else (Sutter, Kunitz).

What can't we afford more: trading Sutter or having both Pascal Dupuis and Nick Spaling/Blake Comeau in our top six (along with a sucking Kunitz)?

Also, Crosby seems like he has taken to shooting more and more these last few games, no? You can see it in his game log (4-5 shots these last three games, mostly 2 or 3 before that), though that doesn't always say much. But he had some really good looks in this game. Especially the one that hit Price in his shoulder.

Who's he going to pass to, with Hornqvist off his line? Seriously.

You mean have the best win % on the NHL?

I'm all for trying new things and potentially moving bennett around, but too many of you are confusing Sid and Geno scoring with the success of the team.

Having a 3rd line that can score 3 goals in a game is freaking huge. Having crosby/malkin go against the other teams top pairs in the playoffs they will probably still get shut down at times even with bennett on the wing.

Need a 3rd line that can pitch in if they are going against the weaker pairing D-men.

You know what's even more freaking huge? Crosby and Malkin dominating when it counts.

Except our 3rd line has been fine at ES all year, even without Bennett, while our scoring lines have been out of sorts.

So we're using our most naturally-skilled winger to bolster a line that doesn't need bolstering as our superstar centers struggle outside of the PP trying to make due with Hornqvist, a dog-****ing Kunitz, and an assortment of bottom 6ers.

:handclap:

Thank you, RRP. Why is it that you and I were always on opposite sides of arguments, and now we're basically in synch? Take away Shero and Bylsma, and it's like we're brothers from different mothers.
:D

The ultimate goal is to have a third line that can score and play defense. that makes the Pens top 2 lines more dangerous because when a team sells out to shut down crosby's line and puts everything else they have against Malkin's line, the third line still can win them a game. especially if it is matched correctly.

The ultimate goal is to win it all...and for that to occur, the goal should be to get Crosby and Malkin the help they both need.

Too many people here are b*tching about the wrong things. People want more talent on the fourth line, a great third line, all puck movers on the blueline. Here's a thought: how about helping Crosby and Malkin first and foremost? How about doing what we said Ray Shero failed to do: build around THEM?

Instead, people are fixated on replacing Zach Sill (who played a strong game last night, despite what everybody else was watching), giving Brandon Sutter our best young winger and keeping our puck-moving defensemen in the lineup. Basically, you want to continue down the same path Dan Bylsma led us down. Congratulations.

Fix the top six. Then I pretty much guarantee nobody will care who's playing on the fourth line, and nobody will miss the likes of Paul Martin/Christian Ehrhoff and Pascal Dupuis/Marcel Goc when they're traded away.

And not playing Beau Bennett with either Crosby or Malkin is simply the stupidest thing imaginable.

They were only 38 % on the draws and that is the only negative out of a flawless performance on the road.:)

That's because Therrien uses Manny Malhotra to win draws no matter the situation, no matter the zone. Personally, when Malhotra is out there winning draws, but Max Pacioretty is on the bench while his line is out there, that's a win for us even if we lose the draw.

That's why face-offs are a bit overrated. They are not all equal. It's when you win the key draw that matters. And after you win or lose a draw, you still have to play hockey. Lots of things occur instantly after a face-off. If you don't gain control of the puck, go get it. Some teams are better at it than others. Also, sometimes it's good to lose a draw, like when you can slap it out of your zone in one motion.

But hey, Manny Malhotra won draws last night. Huge difference-maker he was. Not.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Thank you, RRP. Why is it that you and I were always on opposite sides of arguments, and now we're basically in synch? Take away Shero and Bylsma, and it's like we're brothers from different mothers.

That seems to be a pretty common refrain around here, haha.

Indeed.

Though I think it's funny that Bergevin had to force the coach's hand in order for him to get into the lineup.

Good ol' Iron Mike. Never change, buddy.

I remember a certain young Geico mascot who got in MT's good graces. :sarcasm:

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I agree with Jag. The fourth-line should be the least of Pittsburgh's concerns. The top-six is an area that should be a main concern along with the size up front.

You want to know something? Zach Sill has not been on the ice for a goal against this entire season. So, the argument that he is a liability on the ice isn't true. The fourth-line's main purpose is not to score goals. The fourth-line's purpose is to let the top-three lines get some rest. Very few fourth-lines are able to score goals. If they do, they usually have a big body presence that will create space by going to the net.

You look at how undersized the forwards are. And, that the tallest winger on the team is Beau Bennett at 6'1" and a half. That's unacceptable. This team needs a big winger that's going to create turnovers on forecheck because of his size and physicality. It would help dramatically if this winger was willing to protect their teammates as it would help the mentality of the roster.

A fourth-line with Spaling, Goc, and Comeau is unacceptable. Soft and I highly doubt that they would be able to produce offensively when they are all weak around the boards. One of Spaling and Goc needs to go for someone tougher or a throw-in piece to create more cap-space.

Last edited:

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

We gotta roll with Comeau.. Who cares if he falls down more than Hornqvist? Who cares if he flubs every one timer? He throws hits and.. ### Beau Bennett. Just ### him. That little #### can play on his off wing on the third line. He should be thankful he even gets a roster spot. $#$!@A$#$# HIM! MAKE HIM DO ANOTHER 1000 SUICIDE DRILLS IN PRACTICE TIL HE GETS HURT AGAIN!

lol, someone is pissy that MAF got a shutout!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Depth is important, the key to winning championships, even. But the Penguins do not have depth. Their top-2 lines aren't dangerous. Now, they aren't liabilities and they'll be pluses overall, but having 1 good wing on the second line and a 3rd line that scores isn't depth.

Fix top-6, then worry about your depth

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I hope you also realize that we can't win anything without Sid and Geno dominating. If other teams don't want our expendable players (Martin, Dumoulin, Ehrhoff, Dupuis, Spaling, Goc, Adams), then we may have to part with something else (Sutter, Kunitz).

What can't we afford more: trading Sutter or having both Pascal Dupuis and Nick Spaling/Blake Comeau in our top six (along with a sucking Kunitz)?

Who's he going to pass to, with Hornqvist off his line? Seriously.

You know what's even more freaking huge? Crosby and Malkin dominating when it counts.

The ultimate goal is to win it all...and for that to occur, the goal should be to get Crosby and Malkin the help they both need.

Too many people here are b*tching about the wrong things. People want more talent on the fourth line, a great third line, all puck movers on the blueline. Here's a thought: how about helping Crosby and Malkin first and foremost? How about doing what we said Ray Shero failed to do: build around THEM?

Instead, people are fixated on replacing Zach Sill (who played a strong game last night, despite what everybody else was watching), giving Brandon Sutter our best young winger and keeping our puck-moving defensemen in the lineup. Basically, you want to continue down the same path Dan Bylsma led us down. Congratulations.

Fix the top six. Then I pretty much guarantee nobody will care who's playing on the fourth line, and nobody will miss the likes of Paul Martin/Christian Ehrhoff and Pascal Dupuis/Marcel Goc when they're traded away.

And not playing Beau Bennett with either Crosby or Malkin is simply the stupidest thing imaginable.

That's because Therrien uses Manny Malhotra to win draws no matter the situation, no matter the zone. Personally, when Malhotra is out there winning draws, but Max Pacioretty is on the bench while his line is out there, that's a win for us even if we lose the draw.

That's why face-offs are a bit overrated. They are not all equal. It's when you win the key draw that matters. And after you win or lose a draw, you still have to play hockey. Lots of things occur instantly after a face-off. If you don't gain control of the puck, go get it. Some teams are better at it than others. Also, sometimes it's good to lose a draw, like when you can slap it out of your zone in one motion.

But hey, Manny Malhotra won draws last night. Huge difference-maker he was. Not.

That line scored 3 goals last night against a very good goalie and very good Montreal team. And you wanna break it up? Sutter and Bennett have painfully clear chemistry...and you wanna break it up? Our 3rd line has been an absolute joke since Staal's departure. We finally find a combo that produces and is more than a space and time occupier...and you wanna break it up?

You need to rethink that "stupidest thing imaginable" statement. Cause that's in the running itself. :shakehead

And for what? So Sid can have a few more points? So Geno can have a few more points? Yes, we know we are short a Top 6 wing. Duh. Obtain one and leave Bennett where he is and where he WANTS to be.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Depth is important, the key to winning championships, even. But the Penguins do not have depth. Their top-2 lines aren't dangerous. Now, they aren't liabilities and they'll be pluses overall, but having 1 good wing on the second line and a 3rd line that scores isn't depth.

Yeah, I'm not so sure what is so difficult to grasp about this. It's a lot easier to fix the third line (hell we already had a pretty damn good one in Spaling-Sutter-Downie) than it is to find two top-6 wingers.

We shouldn't be avoiding something that can help our top two lines just because of the effect it might have on Sutter.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Look I agree we have to bring in at least 1 top 6 scoring winger ASAP, but if we stack the top 2 lines and ignore the third we will run into the same stuff we did in the past few playoffs. Teams are going to concentrate everything on sid and Geno's line... we have to be able to burn them when they do.

There is a reason guys with no talent like Adams can suddenly score in the playoffs... teams are actively trying to match every defensive player they have against the top lines and put the offensive guys with defensive holes out vs the guys we have that are not capable of providing a lot of offense... imaging if we get one more guy capable of providing offense at least at Hornqvists level for the top 2 lines. That bumps a Comeau or Dupuis down to the third or 4th line.
Imagine the bottom 6 with Sutter, Goc, Bennett, Duper, Downie and Spaling. They can play defense and offense... it would be a matchup nightmare. if we just stack the top 2 lines again, we will get upset by a deeper defensive team like Boston. That doesnt mean we do not need to add a winger, but the guy they add wont cost what we fear... believe it or not there are wingers available that will come at a lower cost than HFboards claim... there always are...

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Look I agree we have to bring in at least 1 top 6 scoring winger ASAP, but if we stack the top 2 lines and ignore the third we will run into the same stuff we did in the past few playoffs. Teams are going to concentrate everything on sid and Geno's line... we have to be able to burn them when they do.

There is a reason guys with no talent like Adams can suddenly score in the playoffs... teams are actively trying to match every defensive player they have against the top lines and put the offensive guys with defensive holes out vs the guys we have that are not capable of providing a lot of offense... imaging if we get one more guy capable of providing offense at least at Hornqvists level for the top 2 lines. That bumps a Comeau or Dupuis down to the third or 4th line.
Imagine the bottom 6 with Sutter, Goc, Bennett, Duper, Downie and Spaling. They can play defense and offense... it would be a matchup nightmare. if we just stack the top 2 lines again, we will get upset by a deeper defensive team like Boston. That doesnt mean we do not need to add a winger, but the guy they add wont cost what we fear... believe it or not there are wingers available that will come at a lower cost than HFboards claim... there always are...

How is moving Bennett up stacking the top-6 and ignoring the 3rd? As it stands, we're stacking the 3rd and ignoring the top-6. Why are Spaling and Comeau good enough for Sid and Geno but not good enough for the bottom six?

Also why are we ignoring that we already had a very solid third line in Spaling-Sutter-Downie? The second line has been a mess all-year, and now so is the first.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I agree with Jag. The fourth-line should be the least of Pittsburgh's concerns. The top-six is an area that should be a main concern along with the size up front.

You want to know something? Zach Sill has not been on the ice for a goal against this entire season. So, the argument that he is a liability on the ice isn't true. The fourth-line's main purpose is not to score goals. The fourth-line's purpose is to let the top-three lines get some rest. Very few fourth-lines are able to score goals. If they do, they usually have a big body presence that will create space by going to the net.

You look at how undersized the forwards are. And, that the tallest winger on the team is Beau Bennett at 6'1" and a half. That's unacceptable. This team needs a big winger that's going to create turnovers on forecheck because of his size and physicality. It would help dramatically if this winger was willing to protect their teammates as it would help the mentality of the roster.

A fourth-line with Spaling, Goc, and Comeau is unacceptable. Soft and I highly doubt that they would be able to produce offensively when they are all weak around the boards. One of Spaling and Goc needs to go for someone tougher or a throw-in piece to create more cap-space.

I agree completely. But if I remember correctly, the Hurricanes under Rutherford were always pretty short. Even when they made the Cup finals in '02 and won it all in '06, they weren't very big. Some of their grittiest, most aggressive guys weren't tall...guys like Bates Battaglia and Erik Cole. Eric Staal and Rod Brind'Amour were much like Geno and Sid in that you didn't worry too much about them in terms of size. Josef Vasicek had great size. But their Cup team had Mark Recchi, Doug Weight, Justin Williams, Matt Cullen...lots of similarly sized, skilled players.

SO I think it's more likely Rutherford will go after more smallish players than make size a priority. I would be OK with that if he can find skilled guys like Recchi, Weight and Williams, though. Because that Carolina team had as much scoring depth as I can remember a Cup champion having in the cap era.

But absolutely, we need a top-six winger with size, another skilled winger (could be short term or long) if we keep Bennett on Line3 and one big, tough hombre for the fourth line. This we have known for some time now. And we have excess puck-moving defensemen and third liners to move out.

Amen to that!

That line scored 3 goals last night against a very good goalie and very good Montreal team. And you wanna break it up? Sutter and Bennett have painfully clear chemistry...and you wanna break it up? Our 3rd line has been an absolute joke since Staal's departure. We finally find a combo that produces and is more than a space and time occupier...and you wanna break it up?

You need to rethink that "stupidest thing imaginable" statement. Cause that's in the running itself. :shakehead

And for what? So Sid can have a few more points? So Geno can have a few more points? Yes, we know we are short a Top 6 wing. Duh. Obtain one and leave Bennett where he is and where he WANTS to be.

YES, I want to break up Line 3 because I want to improve lines 1 and 2. Just like I am OK with killing animals to eat, but disapprove killing human beings.

It's the food chain.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Great hands, big body and doesn't shy away from contact/boards. Was their best forward last night by far.

And to think Therrien benched him for 7 consecutive games

Therrien still has natural center Alex Galchenyuk playing wing, so it's not a big surprise.

Michel Therrien's shelf life has not changed...and it never will. Good coach, but he comes with an expiry date.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad