Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Flames 3 - Deserves Got Nothing to Do with It

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Three big issues right now with the forwards defensively, every one of which has been a problem all year and shows no sign of getting better . . .

1. The Pens wingers are in no man's land half the time in the defensive zone against sustained possession. It also appears that the centers are NOT coming as deep as religiously as they once did, and I'm not sure that isn't partially by design at this point. Whatever the case is, there's no structure and no defensive layers to how the forwards are defending and supporting the defense in their own zone.

2. What Geno did tonight on the Letang goal, baiting the Flames to lose positioning and to get flatfooted, the Flames did that to the Pens ALL NIGHT when they had the puck on a controlled breakout that started from high in their own zone. The Pens forwards would START in good position, but they'd get baited into unnecessary overloads and into giving up proper gap again and again and again.

3. The Pens forwards, with few exceptions, are god awful at rotating high to cover for a pinching defenseman.

HT: @ColePens

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Geno and Phil, the dynamic duo in OT does it again!

Amazing to think that they never actually START OT.

++ 2 much needed points
++ Jarry
+ G, Hags, Brass, Phil, Jake
G still needs to get more shots on goal...

------team defense
-- fourth line
-- Sid...it's ugly

Great point Andy99. A little too much deference from Geno wheeling back and slowing it down off the rush, and a bit too little aggressiveness with respect to shooting.

BTW, Rust was BRUTAL tonight. Great forecheck on the Geno goal but otherwise he may have been the Flames best player when it came to slowing down Geno and Hags.

Like thank god Geno and Phil are showing up lately because Sid is killing us out there. It's not linemates, it's totally 100% him.

That prime chance they got late in the game, where Sid had his man through the neutral zone and then was like '**** it, I'm not bothering' was as ugly as I maybe have ever seen from Sid.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
That pass was money. A wide open net. Everyone on the Flames bit on the shot fake so hard.

I like Brassard and Kessel. I think Horny and Jake have a little chemistry cooking as well

Reactions: ncm7772

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We gotta be better schematically but it's a lot easier to take after a victory. We got away with one, here's hopin we learn and evolve.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
damn, Phil has 6 more points than Sid on the season. On pace for 93. Incredible.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Other than the cute passing going on with guys open to shoot, and the abysmal 1st period on D, outside of a couple plays. I was happy with how the team performed.

They really buttoned up on the D end. But the only thing I’m worried about..... What the hell is wrong with Crosby? Is he hurt? Why is he so damn lazy all of the sudden? I’m sorry but if he is going to play like that on D, he’s going to hurt us more than help. Get him a week off if he needs it. We have other guys that can hold the fort down for a week or two.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
oMzZzlh.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hagelin is second best winger on the team right now. He was absolutely brilliant tonight

Hags and Geno are in another world right now. Only reason they didn't do more damage is Rust went into Tyler Kennedy spaz mode (and I'm not sure that's much of an exaggeration).

BTW, ****** up stat of the night: Geno skated 4 minutes less than Sid in regulation. That PP accounts for 1:30 of it, but still, 16 minutes in regulation in a game like this for your best player doesn't cut it . . . I mean, you could've given Geno a shift or two with Brassard and Phil coming out of a PK.

My Lord, people. I realize the Pens didn't play well, but man, just be happy they won. Some of you are acting like they list 7-1 at home to Arizona.

No, it's just that some of us know how a team playing like this ends its season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Jarry was solid tonight, super solid, 3 goals on 17 hd chances, that's good goaltending

Maatta is just brutal now, he and Oleks sucked big time

Ruh, at least guy puts the puck on the net

Shultz was ver, very good, especially in his zone,
I'll take letang's game tonight, had 3-4 real headscratchers, but he skated well, pushed the play all in all plus

Offense:
a lot of has been said about Sid, there is a reason he is coasting, its even weirder since Jake and Horny were hustling big time, Sid still got it but for whatever reason he is not up to it
Geno and Hags were great, a lot of push but Rust was killing their forecheck and counterattack
3rd line was the best, solid game from Phil and Brass, I thought Simon was good, I think benching has more to do with Sheary and Kuhn sucking so he wanted to play Sheahan

those last 6-7 minutes were great, I think Flames were excellent, we could not solve tactically that pinching d-man, they were creating extra skater all night long

our guys play with zero obstruction, that has to changed

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Starting to wonder if Crosby is injured. He just seems off.

+ a win is a win... but damn are the Pens are playing some uninspiring hockey right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad