Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Sharks 2: Bones With Sweet Chin Music for the W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Apparently Sid was working on one timers today at practice, so watch them take 71 off of the 1st unit.

They're never going to be great on the PP for any long stretch of time. Multiple coaches, many different looks in personnel.

Our best PP players in the Crosby era were Neal and Gonchar. Neal simply because he'd shoot. And Gonchar because he actually understood how a PP worked.

Good thing for us, and I hope this board finally recognizes it, is that you don't need a PP to win a Cup. Just a great PK and be a better 5 on 5 team. SJ's PP failed when they needed it most last night. Keep that up.

I think that Malkin guy has been pretty good on the PP in his career.

Yes you do need a competent PP to win the Cup and whether people want to admit it or not, our PP has been fine. It hasn't been as timely as I'd like it, but look at the %'s in the playoffs. It could and probably should be better, but it isn't the dumpster fire people like to say it is.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
As great as we've been 5 on 5 and on the PK, I'd still like for our PP to come up big for us from time to time. I mean, if you think about it a lot of these games wouldn't need to be as close as they have been if we're able to convert these PP chances more often. It's just very wasteful in my opinion, and only serves to make things more difficult than they need to be.

I've accepted that they're going to look gangbusters and get your hopes up, then go back to being average at best. 87 doesn't think the PP very well. Letang definitely doesn't. 71 isn't good enough to make up for it.

I agree that things should go through Kessel, but you think he's going to tell 87 and 71 how things are gonna work? I'll believe it when I see it.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I've accepted that they're going to look gangbusters and get your hopes up, then go back to being average at best. 87 doesn't think the PP very well. Letang definitely doesn't. 71 isn't good enough to make up for it.

I agree that things should go through Kessel, but you think he's going to tell 87 and 71 how things are gonna work? I'll believe it when I see it.

Which is why I wouldn't at all be opposed to using HBK as the 2nd PP unit. Instant chemistry and we know it's a line that can cycle the puck very well. Hell, they make most 5 on 5 shifts look like a PP, so why not give it a shot???

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think that Malkin guy has been pretty good on the PP in his career.

Yes you do need a competent PP to win the Cup and whether people want to admit it or not, our PP has been fine. It hasn't been as timely as I'd like it, but look at the %'s in the playoffs. It could and probably should be better, but it isn't the dumpster fire people like to say it is.

Blackhawks PP last season. 17.9%.

Kings 2014. 23.5%.

Blackhawks 2013. 11.4%

Kings. 2012. 12.8%

Bruins. 2011. 11.4%

I never said our PP was garbage. I'm addressing those who think our PP underachieves. I just think our star players are much better ES players than they are PP players.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kessel is lethal at passing when he they actually receives that seam pass and he has time to move in. That was a great save off Horny.

It's too bad he can't one time though. He'd have at least 5 more goals these playoffs.

Why should Kessel be the guy to one time pucks though? His strength is running a PP and keeping goalies honest.

Crosby and Malkin have mean one timers, yet they are reluctant to shoot with the puck on their stick and they **** around waiting for the perfect play. They aren't going to suddenly have an epiphany.

I watched Kessel qb the pp in Tor for six years and he is head and shoulders better than Malkin and Crosby doing it. He knows how to manipulate goalies and when they cheat pass, he doesn't hesitate to rip it.

Like I said though, egos.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Exactly. People are looking at the wrong guy to remove from the PP. Put Schultz on for Letang as the "shooter", and have Kessel be the guy who actually quarterbacks the PP.

That'd require alot of time practicing since all their careers Sid and Geno dominated the puck on PPs, and Schultz would be a simple switch helping in the now. Now Letang can pitch and catch to Schultz for a 1T or if SJ overplay Sid or Geno Schultz is available and will fire it ASAp instead of dragging for a wrister.

The PP has not been good since the start of the Tampa series and will be a problem if they don't fix it IMO.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Schultz IMO shouldn't replace Letang but instead Phil. He's a non threat when Sid or Geno have the puck or when Kris has kt on the top of the umbrella. Without having to respect a 1T from Phil they cheat towards Sid and Geno blitzing them. Horny also has to establish net front-end but also make himself an outlet downlow for Schultz and make plays.

A PP with this amount of talent should not be this bad!!! It's like watching the Canucks when the Sedins aren't on yet the talent is 10000 better. This Sharks team can't skate with the Pens 5v5 but if they convert on their PPs and the Pens don't this will be a long series

Geez...I want to agree...I really do but I love hot dogs so much I just can't. We need a RHS Malkin. Or for Phil to switch sticks just for the PP.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That'd require alot of time practicing since all their careers Sid and Geno dominated the puck on PPs, and Schultz would be a simple switch helping in the now. Now Letang can pitch and catch to Schultz for a 1T or if SJ overplay Sid or Geno Schultz is available and will fire it ASAp instead of dragging for a wrister.

The PP has not been good since the start of the Tampa series and will be a problem if they don't fix it IMO.

Thing is, though, Letang's shot is garbage anyway. So it's not like he's there to help with one-timers. If both guys suck at one timers (Kessel and Letang), I'd rather keep the guy who can actually make plays and pass the puck over the guy who pump fakes a million times before pounding the puck into the PKer's shin pads or passes a puck to a teammate for a one-timer that's nowhere near their wheelhouse.

Lemieux66

May 19, 2016
I think the better story will be Matt Murray, and how he got pulled and came back calm and collected and lead the team to a Stanley Cup victory. That's a good story, rather than a few dinosaurs who finally in their career stumbled into one.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
Why should Kessel be the guy to one time pucks though? His strength is running a PP and keeping goalies honest.

Crosby and Malkin have mean one timers, yet they are reluctant to shoot with the puck on their stick and they **** around waiting for the perfect play. They aren't going to suddenly have an epiphany.

I watched Kessel qb the pp in Tor for six years and he is head and shoulders better than Malkin and Crosby doing it. He knows how to manipulate goalies and when they cheat pass, he doesn't hesitate to rip it.

Like I said though, egos.

Hasn't Malkin repeatedly said he is not comfortable on the point? If I remember correctly PP was pretty good those few times when he had his spot on right wall.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Sharks only allowed 40 shots in regulation once all season and that team was trailing for 57 minutes. Pens had 41 and never trailed.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hasn't Malkin repeatedly said he is not comfortable on the point? If I remember correctly PP was pretty good those few times when he had his spot on right wall.

Ya he has said it multiple times.

Crosby is a boss down low, Malkin can rip the puck from the dot, and Kessel is one of the best PP QBs in the league so obviously it stands to reason that Crosby play the HB, Malkin the point, and they try to setup Kessel for one timers.

No wonder the PP has been so money.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
You don't take Kessel off that unit. That's backwards thinking, TBTH.

The PP should be run through Kessel like it was in Toronto. He's just as apt at dishing the puck as he is at shooting. He should be the one looking to setup Crosby and Malkin for one timers on the opposite dot, not vice versa.

Swap Schultz in for Letang, then Kessel can rotate up high like he's used to in Tor with a guy that understands the importance of rotation and quick decision making.

Kessel is unreal at QBing a PP, but they aren't letting him do it. Will lead to hurt egos I guess.

The PP has been so inspirational that why make a change when everything is so peachy?

I never understood why we didn't try to set up from the other side every once in a while. Let the left point and Kessel play catch over there. And let Sid and Geno get a bit of freedom for once.

I noticed a tighter gap by their D, but they also learned we weren't a threat to dump and chase. Need to do that early next game and push them back a little more.

Yeah, they started catching on in the 2nd, and their gaps got tighter and tighter. It's only a matter of time before they start getting froggy and stepping up on us, and the way the Sharks back check, pucks will be going the other way in a quick hurry.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think a bit part of Geno's lack of PP goals is that Letang simply can't set him up for one-timers on a consistent basis.

We don't need Letang blasting Weber-like slapshots from the point. We don't need anything more than simple, quick, precise puck distribution and guys not passing up free shots.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Pens need to promote Gonchar next year and give him all responsibility for running the power play. They have one of the best PP QBs in recent memory on staff, they need to use him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think a bit part of Geno's lack of PP goals is that Letang simply can't set him up for one-timers on a consistent basis.

We don't need Letang blasting Weber-like slapshots from the point. We don't need anything more than simple, quick, precise puck distribution and guys not passing up free shots.

Letang has zero ability to maneuver penalty killers with his actions. He likes moon walking across the blueline and missing slapshots 10 feet wide.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
The Pens need to promote Gonchar next year and give him all responsibility for running the power play. They have one of the best PP QBs in recent memory on staff, they need to use him.

I highly doubt he hasn't been working with the PP or that the players don't respect him. Since our PP has been relatively productive despite problems that have plagued it through multiple coaching staffs, I don't have much hope for major changes unless we hit rock bottom in terms of productivity that forces those changes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

People still doubting Letang's passing after he literally passed the puck threw two dudes for the game winner last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad