Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Sharks 2: Bones With Sweet Chin Music for the W

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It happened a lot, like you said. I kept saying in my head "wow... they are retreating their own blue with their backs turned because they are afraid of our speed." It happened a lot. There were even 50/50 pucks they could go for and they chose to turn and skate backwards.

I don't really understand it. I've never seen a team do it. It was obviously something told to the dman to go ahead and do it because they are all doing it.

Burns having the reach of a small cave troll broke up that Hagelin breakaway. I'm not sure he does that again if we get Hagelin that opportunity more this series. Hopefully Phil gets it next time.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Still think a lot of credit to SJ for doing that. The first 2 shifts of the 2nd period I knew it. They looked determined.

I still can't get over this one thing... Rust scored 4 consecutive goals (not including the EN) that went through 3 important games. Game 6 ECF, Game 7 ECF, Game 1 SCF. What the ****? Can you score in bigger games? I really hope he's okay to go tomorrow. We need him at this point if he's going to do damage like that. I don't think I can tell you another player who scored 4 consecutive goals that spanned 3 games with that importance.

I give San Jose full marks for rebounding after that first period and pushing back. I think they get one regardless, but Pittsburgh helped them out by just absolutely looking shocked that San Jose decided to show up.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I give San Jose full marks for rebounding after that first period and pushing back. I think they get one regardless, but Pittsburgh helped them out by just absolutely looking shocked that San Jose decided to show up.

I want us to win tomorrow night and then at least one in San Jose. That way, they can battle for the Cup for Game 5 in Pittsburgh. I really want them to take it in 5 or 7 and win it at home. Would prefer 5.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The only difference between Marleau on Rust and Letang on Mojo is that Marleau on Rust was much dirtier and the media is sweeping it under the rug instead of demanding action as they did against Letang.

Here's how it works. I kinda thought about it when Letang got suspended, or at least suspected, and it was confirmed for me.

When Letang threw that hit on Johansson, which was borderline in every way, every talking head was on a campaign to suspend him within ten minutes, be it on twitter or on TV. It was almost shocking how quick and decisive they were in calling for a suspension.

So I asked, and here's how the big media who are terrified of their NHL overlords operate. Their livelihood depends in a big way with the "insider" info they get from the head office, DoPS, etc. so they have to tread carefully.

We've all seen the e-mails, and we can assume the texts are even worse. When a bad hit happens, the e-mails/texts start to fly to DoPS with "Well, suspension or not?" DoPS usually knows pretty quickly whether or not there's going to be a suspension.

So when DoPS is dismissive of a hit and likely won't suspend they let the big boys in the media know. "Yeah, he might get a game" or "Nah, player should have protected himself better."

So when the media knows there's nothing coming, they sweep it under the rug in a "protect the shield" kind of way. The incident basically vanishes, and there's no outrage from the media, no "Man, I thought he'd get at least one game." They do everything in their power to defend NOT suspending, including changing the laws of physics. Some of the explanations for last night's hit are almost offensive in how insulting they are.

Of all the bad hits these playoffs, Letang's was nothing. Milliseconds late, millimeters high. I honestly thought he'd get a fine at most. But the TSN/SNet guys knew immediately he was going to get dinged. So the campaign began right away. "Oh, I think this is gonna get at least one game. Predatory hit to the head, late, what was Letang doing?!?!"

This is how these a-holes go about their business, carrying that pail of water for the League. It's disgusting.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Schultz IMO shouldn't replace Letang but instead Phil. He's a non threat when Sid or Geno have the puck or when Kris has kt on the top of the umbrella. Without having to respect a 1T from Phil they cheat towards Sid and Geno blitzing them. Horny also has to establish net front-end but also make himself an outlet downlow for Schultz and make plays.

A PP with this amount of talent should not be this bad!!! It's like watching the Canucks when the Sedins aren't on yet the talent is 10000 better. This Sharks team can't skate with the Pens 5v5 but if they convert on their PPs and the Pens don't this will be a long series

MoeManthaMustache

Aug 21, 2007
I was so out of it last night I can't even remember if I posted anything, so if I'm repeating myself or someone else has mentioned it, I apologize.

The Sharks didn't adjust to **** last night. Pens suddenly slowed the pace down, stopped making pinches and were seeing ghosts trying to break out of their own zone last night. Guys clearing pucks to nowhere when they had zero pressure on them.

100% right, the penguins gave them that second period by turning the puck over with no pressure on them at times. They corrected that in the 3rd. 18 shots followed.

Beboer is not a tactical guy - that's going to hurt him here I think.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If they're going to have Letang on the top unit no matter what, which I understand if coaches are worried about SH chances against with Schultz as the lone D, I think I'd have Schultz on the 1st unit over Phil as well.

1st unit gets a minute-minute and a half. Then roll out HBK.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
If they're going to have Letang on the top unit no matter what, which I understand if coaches are worried about SH chances against with Schultz as the lone D, I think I'd have Schultz on the 1st unit over Phil as well.

1st unit gets a minute-minute and a half. Then roll out HBK.

I can live with this. It's not like Phil is providing much of a one-timer scoring threat from that left circle anyways. How many times have we seen him bobble cross-ice passes from Sid?

artiesrevenge

Jan 4, 2011
Sullivan and his staff are the first coaching staff I've ever witnessed where I had so much confidence in them not getting beat by the same thing twice. When we lose, they identify what beat us, and it's immediately fixed. Sully is a great ****ing coach.

He represents the difference between and experienced veteran coach, and a coach that is being baptised by fire - i.e. DB and MJ

excellent points...love what sullivan has done with this team

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
100% right, the penguins gave them that second period by turning the puck over with no pressure on them at times. They corrected that in the 3rd. 18 shots followed.

Beboer is not a tactical guy - that's going to hurt him here I think.

That's how I saw it. Maatta and Cole, I mean there wasn't a guy within 15 feet of them and they cleared pucks a la Scuderi as if there was someone standing on their head. It was insane.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
You're ****ing out of your goddamn mind if you thought there was even a chance Marleau would be suspended. :laugh:

Not because he didn't deserve to be, but because of how the DPOS has failed the players of this league for years.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I can live with this. It's not like Phil is providing much of a one-timer scoring threat from that left circle anyways. How many times have we seen him bobble cross-ice passes from Sid?

He has his uses on the 1st unit, but I think we need another guy who's going to shoot first and ask questions later. It's clear our stars think pass before shot.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
You're ****ing out of your goddamn mind if you thought there was even a chance Marleau would be suspended. :laugh:

Not because he didn't deserve to be, but because of how the DPOS has failed the players of this league for years.

I was already 99.9% certain he wouldn't. I guess I was just being really really hopeful that the league would shock me for once. Shame on me...

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
He has his uses on the 1st unit, but I think we need another guy who's going to shoot first and ask questions later. It's clear our stars think pass before shot.

Pretty much. One thing I like about Schultz is that he doesn't hesitate to use that clapper of his. Phil on the other hand is more of a shoot-on-the-fly type of goal scorer who likes to pick corners with his wrister, rather than a goal scorer in the mold of an Ovie or Stamkos who will just rip them from the circles.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Schultz IMO shouldn't replace Letang but instead Phil. He's a non threat when Sid or Geno have the puck or when Kris has kt on the top of the umbrella. Without having to respect a 1T from Phil they cheat towards Sid and Geno blitzing them. Horny also has to establish net front-end but also make himself an outlet downlow for Schultz and make plays.

A PP with this amount of talent should not be this bad!!! It's like watching the Canucks when the Sedins aren't on yet the talent is 10000 better. This Sharks team can't skate with the Pens 5v5 but if they convert on their PPs and the Pens don't this will be a long series
The thing about Kessel on the PP is that he either needs to QB it from the left half-wall or not be on the ice. If he's the QB, he can threaten both shot and pass with the puck on his stick, and the PK HAS to respect both immensely. If he's standing over there w/o the puck waiting for one timers which his stick won't permit him to take, the whole left side of the ice is a non-factor for the PK.

How many times does Sid try to thread difficult passes through to Phil, only to have him be unable to one-time the puck? I don't even blame Phil, it's just not his (or his stick's) thing.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
The thing about Kessel on the PP is that he either needs to QB it from the left half-wall or not be on the ice. If he's the QB, he can threaten both shot and pass with the puck on his stick, and the PK HAS to respect both immensely. If he's standing over there w/o the puck waiting for one timers which his stick won't permit him to take, the whole left side of the ice is a non-factor for the PK.

How many times does Sid try to thread difficult passes through to Phil, only to have him be unable to one-time the puck? I don't even blame Phil, it's just not his (or his stick's) thing.

Those passes from Sid have become painfully predictable no less as well. Like, most PK units basically just stand in the slot area with their sticks extended fully expecting Sid to try and thread that pass through...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

A PP with this amount of talent should not be this bad!!! It's like watching the Canucks when the Second aren't on yet the talent is 10000 better. This Sharks team can't skate with the Pens 5v5 but if they convert on their PPs and the Pens don't this will be a long series

You don't take Kessel off that unit. That's backwards thinking, TBTH.

The PP should be run through Kessel like it was in Toronto. He's just as apt at dishing the puck as he is at shooting. He should be the one looking to setup Crosby and Malkin for one timers on the opposite dot, not vice versa.

Swap Schultz in for Letang, then Kessel can rotate up high like he's used to in Tor with a guy that understands the importance of rotation and quick decision making.

Kessel is unreal at QBing a PP, but they aren't letting him do it. Will lead to hurt egos I guess.

The PP has been so inspirational that why make a change when everything is so peachy?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pretty much. One thing I like about Schultz is that he doesn't hesitate to use that clapper of his. Phil on the other hand is more of a shoot-on-the-fly type of goal scorer who likes to pick corners with his wrister, rather than a goal scorer in the mold of an Ovie or Stamkos who will just rip them from the circles.

Apparently Sid was working on one timers today at practice, so watch them take 71 off of the 1st unit.

They're never going to be great on the PP for any long stretch of time. Multiple coaches, many different looks in personnel.

Our best PP players in the Crosby era were Neal and Gonchar. Neal simply because he'd shoot. And Gonchar because he actually understood how a PP worked.

Good thing for us, and I hope this board finally recognizes it, is that you don't need a PP to win a Cup. Just a great PK and be a better 5 on 5 team. SJ's PP failed when they needed it most last night. Keep that up.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

The PP should be run through Kessel like it was in Toronto. He's just as apt at dishing the puck as he is at shooting. He should be the one looking to setup Crosby and Malkin for one timers on the opposite dot, not vice versa.

Swap Schultz in for Letang, then Kessel can rotate up high like he's used to with a guy that understands the importance of rotation and quick decision making.

But egos I guess. The PP has been so inspirational that why make a change when everything is so peachy?

Totally agree. Kessel is dangerous on the PP when he's moving. Even those passes that he doesn't one time, by holding the puck he usually draws attention and then can make a back door pass which has worked multiple times. Not everyone has to be a one time option to be successful.

The problem is Letang. He's great at keep ins, but is the weak leak otherwise.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Apparently Sid was working on one timers today at practice, so watch them take 71 off of the 1st unit.

They're never going to be great on the PP for any long stretch of time. Multiple coaches, many different looks in personnel.

Our best PP players in the Crosby era were Neal and Gonchar. Neal simply because he'd shoot. And Gonchar because he actually understood how a PP worked.

Good thing for us, and I hope this board finally recognizes it, is that you don't need a PP to win a Cup. Just a great PK and be a better 5 on 5 team. SJ's PP failed when they needed it most last night. Keep that up.

As great as we've been 5 on 5 and on the PK, I'd still like for our PP to come up big for us from time to time. I mean, if you think about it a lot of these games wouldn't need to be as close as they have been if we're able to convert these PP chances more often. It's just very wasteful in my opinion, and only serves to make things more difficult than they need to be.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Totally agree. Kessel is dangerous on the PP when he's moving. Even those passes that he doesn't one time, by holding the puck he usually draws attention and then can make a back door pass which has worked multiple times. Not everyone has to be a one time option to be successful.

The problem is Letang. He's great at keep ins, but is the weak leak otherwise.

Letang has a classic case of "over thinking" every single time the puck lands on his stick. It almost looks like he's having an argument with himself as to what he actually wants to do with the puck. He's easily one of the most confident players in hte league with the puck on his stick on ES and on the PK, however you put him on a PP and he pulls a complete Jekyl & Hyde act on us.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I wonder if Rust having so much success is a byproduct of the fact that he is essentially on our third line. You would have to be a moron to not account for HBK first, Sid's line second, leaving you to cover Malkin's line as best you can and pray. Aside from some double shifting by the Sharks, whoever is on Geno's line will be getting the softer coverage more often than not I would think.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

Swap Schultz in for Letang, then Kessel can rotate up high like he's used to in Tor with a guy that understands the importance of rotation and quick decision making.

Kessel is unreal at QBing a PP, but they aren't letting him do it. Will lead to hurt egos I guess.

The PP has been so inspirational that why make a change when everything is so peachy?

Kessel is lethal at passing when he they actually receives that seam pass and he has time to move in. That was a great save off Horny.

It's too bad he can't one time though. He'd have at least 5 more goals these playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Exactly. People are looking at the wrong guy to remove from the PP. Put Schultz on for Letang as the "shooter", and have Kessel be the guy who actually quarterbacks the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad