Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Sharks 2: Bones With Sweet Chin Music for the W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

I've been a down home NC boy since I moved there in 1989 as a kid, the "us" reference is simply because, as per our bandwagon rules, I am a Sharks fan now. I could've been here if y'all had sent the right people to the draft ;)

That boy was dun blow'd up!! :laugh:

Actually, I will have you know that the only thing I have ever blown up (and it was accidental) was a frozen turkey that I tried to deep fry after I got my M. Sc. in Alabama :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Number one adjustment. Do not stop playing just because you got a two goal lead. If there is one major criticism of this team it is that tendency. For about eight minutes of the second period they are beaten to loose pucks, and not coincidentally, out shot badly. For the rest of the game it was the opposite. We have seen that happen several times this playoffs. To their credit they put the foot right back on the gas when they happens and usually win the game. But there is no reason for them to lose focus like that, especially when they are now three wins away from the cup.

And yes there is another team out there, a very good team, and if it was merely giving up the couple of goal lead, that happens, especially against good teams. Nut they were being dominated and the shot totals reflected that. Given how the rest of the game went I blame that more on the Pens than on what the Sharks did.

It's human nature to sit back when you have a lead and for the losing team to get more desperate. So it was partially what the Sharks did in the second and partially what we didn't do which is stick with our gameplan.

To me just as important as defending the leads we get is making sure we bury teams when we have them on the ropes. We could have had three or even four goals on the Sharks in that first, and had we done that that game is more or less out of reach for them. With the crazy amount of pressure we generate when we're on top of our game, it would be nice to turn some of that into more of an insurmountable lead. Letting teams stay within striking distance is dangerous. At that point a few bad bounces can cost you the game.

The key to putting our foot down their throats is to start scoring on those powerplays. We generate pressure like we have and we will keep getting a PP advantage.

It's comforting to know though that Murray is capable of winning a game where we don't give him overwhelming offensive support. Murray kept that game from getting away from us in the second. The Sharks are going to score some goals - they're too good not to. But if Murray can keep the GAA to around 2 we should have a good chance most games to come out with the win.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I've been a down home NC boy since I moved there in 1989 as a kid, the "us" reference is simply because, as per our bandwagon rules, I am a Sharks fan now. I could've been here if y'all had sent the right people to the draft ;)

Actually, I will have you know that the only thing I have ever blown up (and it was accidental) was a frozen turkey that I tried to deep fry after I got my M. Sc. in Alabama :laugh:

So your the guy in the AT&T commercial.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Deep fried Turkey is decent, but smoked Turkey is the best... yummy!

Hooray for FOOD!!:nod:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Re: The Talbot article

What did Mario's text message to the team say again? I feel like I should know that...but it's slipping my mind...

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I was so out of it last night I can't even remember if I posted anything, so if I'm repeating myself or someone else has mentioned it, I apologize.

The Sharks didn't adjust to **** last night. Pens suddenly slowed the pace down, stopped making pinches and were seeing ghosts trying to break out of their own zone last night. Guys clearing pucks to nowhere when they had zero pressure on them.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I was so out of it last night I can't even remember if I posted anything, so if I'm repeating myself or someone else has mentioned it, I apologize.

The Sharks didn't adjust to **** last night. Pens suddenly slowed the pace down, stopped making pinches and were seeing ghosts trying to break out of their own zone last night. Guys clearing pucks to nowhere when they had zero pressure on them.

Duh...they were up 2-0...:help:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We need to keep the tempo in this series. San Jose cannot skate with us, and our speed and attack keep Burns honest because if he slips up, we're going the other way.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We really need to get the 2-0 series lead tomorrow. We have split the first 2 for every single series so far. Just win game 2 at home to really put the pressure on the sharks.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Disagree with your assessment. Sure we partially slowed down, but the Sharks slowed us down. I can tell you, for sure, they altered how they covered hte middle of the ice. We exploited it badly in the first period. They also have their f3 following our center (especially if it was Sid) after the 2nd period to slow us down in the neutral.

They absolutely did change a few things. Unless the Sharks were so poorly executing in the first period, which is definitely a possibility as they came out so flat.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We really need to get the 2-0 series lead tomorrow. We have split the first 2 for every single series so far. Just win game 2 at home to really put the pressure on the sharks.

Meh.. technically we need 1 out of the next 3 to make it a best of 3 to finish the season. If it's a coin flip series, that's how it goes. However - the Pens can put the Sharks in a real corner by going up 2-0. Both teams know it and tomorrow, as Jaded said, is going to be Game 7 basically.

**** it. Realistically we need every game. :laugh: I don't think i'll be settled until the absolute final buzzer.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I noticed a tighter gap by their D, but they also learned we weren't a threat to dump and chase. Need to do that early next game and push them back a little more.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Im going to try to watch Game 1 back tonight. We were stretching the hell out of their defense all game. One of our guys was at the far blue almost all game. It's the first time I've seen us stretch a team's defense that much. I wonder how it looked on tv. Were there big gaps of space? Because that's what the Pens were trying to do and it worked early on.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Meh.. technically we need 1 out of the next 3 to make it a best of 3 to finish the season. If it's a coin flip series, that's how it goes. However - the Pens can put the Sharks in a real corner by going up 2-0. Both teams know it and tomorrow, as Jaded said, is going to be Game 7 basically.

**** it. Realistically we need every game. :laugh: I don't think i'll be settled until the absolute final buzzer.

Oh yeah for sure. Especially with the way the team has been handling leads in game recently. Cant be happy until the game is over. This is so crazy though. We are 3 wins away from the cup. THREE. So close. Man I really hope they win. Went from like in the conference to last team remaining in the east.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Im going to try to watch Game 1 back tonight. We were stretching the hell out of their defense all game. One of our guys was at the far blue almost all game. It's the first time I've seen us stretch a team's defense that much. I wonder how it looked on tv. Were there big gaps of space? Because that's what the Pens were trying to do and it worked early on.

I noticed SJ D-men skating forwards into their own zone alot. I'd imagine we had something to do with that.

When SJ sells out to keep us bottled up in our zone, I'd be using that flip pass to a guy like Hagelin as much as possible.

SJ really isn't very fast. They move fast because they pass well. Make it more of a track meet and force them to skate with us.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I noticed SJ D-men skating forwards into their own zone alot. I'd imagine we had something to do with that.

When SJ sells out to keep us bottled up in our zone, I'd be using that flip pass to a guy like Hagelin as much as possible.

SJ really isn't very fast. They move fast because they pass well. Make it more of a track meet and force them to skate with us.

It happened a lot, like you said. I kept saying in my head "wow... they are retreating their own blue with their backs turned because they are afraid of our speed." It happened a lot. There were even 50/50 pucks they could go for and they chose to turn and skate backwards.

I don't really understand it. I've never seen a team do it. It was obviously something told to the dman to go ahead and do it because they are all doing it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I thought the Penguins played panicky. Almost scared in the second. Like a player who hears footsteps constantly.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

I said it last night too, I really believe this was on the coaching staff. haven't seen the D back it up in these playoffs so far like they have done it in this game. every 50/50 puck they just let the Sharks forwards have it while backing up...

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Still think a lot of credit to SJ for doing that. The first 2 shifts of the 2nd period I knew it. They looked determined.

I still can't get over this one thing... Rust scored 4 consecutive goals (not including the EN) that went through 3 important games. Game 6 ECF, Game 7 ECF, Game 1 SCF. What the ****? Can you score in bigger games? I really hope he's okay to go tomorrow. We need him at this point if he's going to do damage like that. I don't think I can tell you another player who scored 4 consecutive goals that spanned 3 games with that importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad