Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Rangers 2 - The Fat Lady's Not Singing Edition

Fordy

May 28, 2008
do not pretend that Dupuis doesn't decide where he plays

when you dog it for three weeks then start trying when you're back on the first line

that's embarrassing. i don't want that player on the team period

penguins2946*

I think they are very comparable.... drew stafford would have a similar point total. I just find it funny you think stafford is that good. He's a decent NHL player just like dupuis. They both have their pluses and minuses.

What's funny is I think its a good idea to trade for him depending on the cost... but only because we need another winger for geno. I'm just sick of the constant trashing dupuis gets and I dont even like dupuis. I have an agenda against french canadians for a reason I can't explain.

Except their not comparable at all. Stafford is a much more talented player. Dupuis just produces because of Crosby. On the same team, Stafford would have more points than Dupuis, assuming both play the same minutes on a similar quality line.

when you dog it for three weeks then start trying when you're back on the first line

There are 2 sides of the spectrum, people who think Dupuis is a legit 1st line winger without question and people who think Dupuis shouldn't be on the Pens. Both sides are equally as stupid.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Cole said it best. Duper is a great supplimental winger to have. he is not a star and really miscast as a finisher on a top 2 line. That doesnt mean he isnt good and doesnt mean he isnt instrumental to the team, its just that if you put a legit top 6 scorer up there you get a higher percent of productivity, and that can mean the difference between having a good top line and a great top line. Right now all the offense on those two lines still primarily goes through Crosby and Malkin. you need at least one more guy up there to create chances and force defensive coverage and frankly Duper with Sutter and Bennett would make the third line a fabulous shut down line with high offensive potential.. a good 2nd line on most teams.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
One plays with Crosby and Malkin. The other plays for Buffalo. The fact that you think they're remotely comparable is just laughable.

Marleau is 130th on that list. Is Dupuis better than him? What about Carter, who's 138th. What about Parise, who's 126th?

Except their not comparable at all. Stafford is a much more talented player. Dupuis just produces because of Crosby. On the same team, Stafford would have more points than Dupuis, assuming both play the same minutes on a similar quality line.

And Kovalev was arguably more talented than Crosby; yet crosby is 10x the player. Stafford and Dupuis are in the same ballpark as hockey players.

Not everyone can score with Crosby... sykora didn't play well with him, Nils ekman(lol) was suppsoed to be his upcoming winger.... was terrible even with crosby, yet Crosby meshes with a guy like Dupuis and Colby Amrstrong.

Dupuis Crosby Hornqvist
Kunitz Malkin (trade)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Dogging it doesn't really seem part of Dupuis' makeup. But I have to admit that it's hard to explain away why he looked so float-y and lacked almost all physicality for weeks on L2. I don't know if he calls his own shots (that would be disturbing) but he certainly seems to have more leeway than some.

Either way, it's beating a dead horse but the team needs to find a way (quickly) to bump him down the lineup where he'll be most effective. Uh... maybe. Or maybe he'll just go back to floating around if and when that happens.

Truthfully it's looking more and more like the team should have prioritized this in the offseason. Like most of us dumb fans were saying in the first place.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

There are 2 sides of the spectrum, people who think Dupuis is a legit 1st line winger without question and people who think Dupuis shouldn't be on the Pens. Both sides are equally as stupid.

you're right, everyone but you is stupid

do you disagree or not? Dupuis's game didn't change one bit after his promotion? you have a lot of trouble addressing what people actually say

penguins2946*

you're right, everyone but you is stupid

do you disagree or not? Dupuis's game didn't change one bit after his promotion? you have a lot of trouble addressing what people actually say

Yeah, I never said that. I just said acting like he shouldn't even be on the team is just as stupid acting like he is a legit top-6 winger. You have a lot of trouble not using hyperbole and reading what other people say.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Yeah, I never said that. I just said acting like he shouldn't even be on the team is just as stupid acting like he is a legit top-6 winger. You have a lot of trouble not using hyperbole and reading what other people say.

it's really not. if the choice is Dupuis in the top six or not on the team I pick not on the team. hardly equal

I'll make it easier to respond since you're having trouble: true or false. Dupuis was dogging it until he got promoted

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Majority has always been against Dupers in the top 6 but FOR Dupers in the bottom 6 w/ spot duty if an injury occurs. So you are right about that.

Some people blame Dupers for being in the top 6. It's not his freaking decision. :laugh: And then if you make this rational argument, the rest of the naysayers will just point you out as wanting Dupers in the top 6 - yet neither are the case.

That's the internet for ya, eh?

Yeah, Dupuis is the pens 3rd best winger, obviously hes going to be playing in the pens top 6.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's funny because I see maybe a handful of people who are ok with Dupuis in the top 6, and 99% of those people are only ok with it for now until we get a trade.

Sorry, I stopped believing in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and Mythical Top Six Winger Trades a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

If Neal and Hornqvist - a sniper and a hard working grinder - aren't good fits for Sidney Crosby, there is literally no player in the league the Pens can acquire given their available assets that will be "better" than the perception of how good/important Pascal Dupuis is (clearly not going to be a young player, as no young player can take his spot, clearly can't be a Neal or Hornqvist type, as neither of them, the very elite at what they provide, could replace him).
]
Evander Kane, Patrick Kane (no one named Kane), Corey Perry, James Van Riemsdyk, Bobby Ryan, etc... aren't walking through that door. And if they did, they'd probably go to Malkin's LW. James Neal and Patric Hornqvist walked through the door and couldn't unseat Dupuis.

This board lives in a fantasy world, constantly projecting THEIR wants, thoughts, and desires for this team onto the front office staff.

If we look at their actions (just like the actions of the previous regime), it's pretty clear to see what they want and how they're getting there. You can fool yourselves if it makes you feel better.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Cole said it best. Duper is a great supplimental winger to have. he is not a star and really miscast as a finisher on a top 2 line. That doesnt mean he isnt good and doesnt mean he isnt instrumental to the team, its just that if you put a legit top 6 scorer up there you get a higher percent of productivity, and that can mean the difference between having a good top line and a great top line. Right now all the offense on those two lines still primarily goes through Crosby and Malkin. you need at least one more guy up there to create chances and force defensive coverage and frankly Duper with Sutter and Bennett would make the third line a fabulous shut down line with high offensive potential.. a good 2nd line on most teams.

This team would be better without Dupuis.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
There is a CANYON between being Team Canada and having arguably the worst hands in the history of an NHL scoring line. What was wrong with Crosby and Hornqvist? Answer: NOTHING. In fact, they're perfect for each other.

But somewhere along the way, Kunitz became handcuffed next to Crosby and now we keep making stupid lineup decision over stupid lineup decision because we can't do the logical thing...split up Crosby and Kunitz, keep Crosby and Hornqvist together, and keep Dupuis on the left side.

And if the stats say Dupuis is better than Iginla then the stats LIE!

The guy runs hot and cold like a faucet. He's 35 years old and can't score. How is HE the hand-picked option for Sidney's right wing?

What a frickin' nightmare. I thought this whole stupid thing was over once Hornqvist started lighting the lamp with Sid. Then a two-game slump and we're right back where we started.

So frustrating.

Well, we have won 9 of the last 10 games though... so...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They've been collecting regular season wins like old mentally unstable ladies do cats for years. I don't take it as much of a barometer for individual player performances.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well that's absolutely stupid then.

No it's not. It should be stupid, but it's not. Not having Dupuis means 3.5 million towards another player that is a top 6 winger. We may have a worse 3rd line without Duper (vs Downie, Comeau, Spaling) but we would very likely have a better top line.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
This team would be better without Dupuis.

Hater :sarcasm:

Fordy does make an interesting point about Duper, though. His play did improve noticeably once he was with Crosby. As for why, well, lots of possibilities, I suppose.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I stand corrected. Anyway, what are you getting at? Do you like Dupuis with Crosby? Does he belong in the top 6?

Someone else said it, but dupuis single handedly won the leafs game.

On this team I think he belongs as the 3rd wheel on crosby's line. It's just not realistic to have Crosby and Malkins line loaded with top end talent. Dupuis is damn good with crosby given the situation.

I think dupuis crosby hornqvist is a solid line. kunitz malkin and whoever they can trade for is honestly the best we can hope for save for trading letang or something crazy.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

On this team I think he belongs as the 3rd wheel on crosby's line. It's just not realistic to have Crosby and Malkins line loaded with top end talent. Dupuis is damn good with crosby given the situation.

I think dupuis crosby hornqvist is a solid line. kunitz malkin and whoever they can trade for is honestly the best we can hope for save for trading letang or something crazy.

dupuis has never done **** singlehandedly

this team is ****ing doomed if this is how the organization thinks

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Dupuis is not damn good with Crosby given any situation. What is the situation that makes Dupuis damn good with Crosby?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00