Post-Game Talk: Pens 3 - Jets 0

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
One thing I saw out of Monahan tonight was that when we were on the powerplay and Pittsburgh got the puck in the defensive zone he was battling to get it back. I don't know why this team just gives up when the opposition gets the puck on the powerplay and lets them clear it. Even if you don't get it clean you still give the defending player less time to make a decision and that increases the chance they'll make a mistake.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
You can't win if you can't score. Well technically the Jets did score, but they were off-side. The turning point of the game was the Dillon hit. Pittsburgh scored two power play goals on the five minute penalty, and that was all she wrote. I give this game one Bob Uecker out of five...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The Prediction Contest has been posted for the game against the Flyers, so get your guesses in. No one has claimed the GDT for Thursday yet, so you can still sign up and make one. See you guys then. Good night...

giphy.gif

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Interesting that this slide coincides with KC returning to the lineup.

First game back was v good, since then 5 goals in 5 games.

Not saying he is the reason but ...
It isn't interesting. It's about as interesting as the fact that we've lost 4 in a row and that I've been wearing blue underpants for each game.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It isn't interesting. It's about as interesting as the fact that we've lost 4 in a row and that I've been wearing blue underpants for each game.
The one guy that least fits Bowness system comes back...

:popcorn:

Reactions: hn777

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
One thing I saw out of Monahan tonight was that when we were on the powerplay and Pittsburgh got the puck in the defensive zone he was battling to get it back. I don't know why this team just gives up when the opposition gets the puck on the powerplay and lets them clear it. Even if you don't get it clean you still give the defending player less time to make a decision and that increases the chance they'll make a mistake.
Not sure the team gives up but KFC was watching the play a lot tonight... Scheif and Jomo were fighting for the puck - Vilardi seemed a step behind but not watching

Can we get Schmidt off PP2 please... and maybe an actual Center on there

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
They need a different guy to instruct them/and or system. I realize that everyone is calling for Lauer's head but trying the same thing over and over again is essentially
It annoyed me that Schmidt and Pionk started on the first PP, were completely inept, the PP generated 0 shots, and on the next power play they were put out there to start again. 🙄

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nobody's scoring and Connor is getting the best chances and is still leading the team in goals. Do you think there's an underlying issue with Connor that's preventing the rest of his teammates from scoring?

Yeah, we are just going through a lull right now. Our players will start scoring again at some point. The biggest issue is a terrible PP, they aren't even getting looks to score.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Depth players at the deadline wont help much, this team needs another scorer. Good luck getting one with the prices being asked
I think we just need the ones we have to start scoring -

Same was said about the PP - do we really need to add talent?

IMO:
Somethings off a bit - I'm thinking they sort it out - but I hope they do it soon.

You're going to start hearing Bones start repeating himself in his post games - similar to LY - and the message will be to dumb it down, start shooting, and create more chaos around the net, north / south, create turnovers, blah, ,blah, blah - he hasn't gone there yet but he soon will.

It's hard to tell a talented group to dumb it down, and even harder to get the message across - but they need to get that message through before this team starts thinking they can continue to win without that hard play style that had the league labeling these guys as contenders.
Time for a reset.

I get that it's only 4 games - I'm not panicking - but I think there might be something bubbling to the surface here and it's time to nip it at the bud.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I liked Monahan in his first game with us

No chemistry on the second line yet but lots of promise. I think take away the major and this was a different game

Lots of promise with the fourth line

We all knew this team was gonna have a slump … the only question was when. I’d rather it be now than before the playoffs.

This team wasn’t playing their system tonight very well. When we’ve run 5 D similar breakdowns have happened

Oh well, on to the next.

There are some positives to take out of this crappy effort.

The PP…..is a serious problem. I don’t get how it got so bad. And the PK last year was the one thing we excelled at. It’s not terrible this year but it’s not been the same level of good

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think we just need the ones we have to start scoring -

Same was said about the PP - do we really need to add talent?

IMO:
Somethings off a bit - I'm thinking they sort it out - but I hope they do it soon.

You're going to start hearing Bones start repeating himself in his post games - similar to LY - and the message will be to dumb it down, start shooting, and create more chaos around the net, north / south, create turnovers, blah, ,blah, blah - he hasn't gone there yet but he soon will.

It's hard to tell a talented group to dumb it down, and even harder to get the message across - but they need to get that message through before this team starts thinking they can continue to win without that hard play style that had the league labeling these guys as contenders.
Time for a reset.

I get that it's only 4 games - I'm not panicking - but I think there might be something bubbling to the surface here and it's time to nip it at the bud.

Yeah, they need to get that hard press going again. We've been a bit off with that lately.

I also feel that in the offensive end they were making the right reads but the passing was off. A couple good passes and we likely have a number of additional slot opportunities.

The PP is just a disaster though. To me it now looks like the players are devoid of confidence. This has been an issue all year and honestly someone on that coaching staff needs to be held to task for it. There has been zero change to the strategy. All they have done is is change who is playing in the bumper spot.

I liked Monahan in his first game with us

No chemistry on the second line yet but lots of promise. I think take away the major and this was a different game

Lots of promise with the fourth line

We all knew this team was gonna have a slump … the only question was when. I’d rather it be now than before the playoffs.

This team wasn’t playing their system tonight very well. When we’ve run 5 D similar breakdowns have happened

Oh well, on to the next.

There are some positives to take out of this crappy effort.

The PP…..is a serious problem. I don’t get how it got so bad. And the PK last year was the one thing we excelled at. It’s not terrible this year but it’s not been the same level of good

Thought Monohan and Cole were reading well off each other. A few more games and I think they start connecting for a lot of scoring chances.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Ehlers-Scheifele-Vilardi was going 5-6 weeks of tearing the league apart
Scheifele-Connor seems to be the new inseparable duo that is hindering our offence.

Connor can’t be a top goal scorer if he can only do it stapled to Scheifele.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad