Post-Game Talk: Pens 3 - Jets 0

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's fair. Bones definitely does not coach a high octane offensive scheme but he is not totally risk averse. He actually coaches it in a way where offensively pushing has a positive defensive impact.

I think playing for 2-1 and 3-2 games is exactly how you should play if you are trying to win a championship. We aren't a team that needs to outscore our liabilities any more.

It's fun to score buckets in the regular season, but you almost always see teams like that falter in the playoffs when opponents smother. We are already playing in that environment, which will set us up for success when the post season hits.

Obviously, the PP has to be better. You REALLY need to score on your chances on playoff PP's because they are more rare and 5v5 scoring is at a premium. The only slight silver lining is there are less PPs which will mitigate our special teams woes slightly.

The team still needs to find a way to at least be respectable on the PP going into the playoffs, because opponents will be free to take liberties with us if we can't punish them for it.

I don't really blame Gabe for the offside, as Scheifele did some serious waggling (he had to) for the zone entry.

I have no issue with his schemes 5 on 5. When executed correctly they work. The issue with low event hockey though is that it puts a greater emphasis on high event situations like special teams.

If your aiming for low scoring hockey 5 on 5 but you routinely get caved in on special teams it's very hard for a low scoring team to overcome that.

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
Well that was sure disappointing. Got home at 9 and fired up the PVR. When the game turned 3-0 I put it on Triple speed. Stopped when Scheif scored then hit fast forward again when they took it away.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
in neutral gameplay at 5v5 the Jets are
11th in CF/60
16 xGF/60

when trailing
5th & 6th.

and 8th & 14th overall in the two states

definitely not a "boring team" when they don't need to be. you want boring, that's the Wild, Blues, Coyotes or Caps among others. you want a bit more scoring though certainly, maybe a bit less Lowry line.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yup, they have Nino taking them on unit two for crying out loud.
It's a bit bizarre - I would have been down with Nino at C while scheif was out but we didn't try it at all... now that we have monahan we put him in there haha

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
in neutral gameplay at 5v5 the Jets are
11th in CF/60
16 xGF/60

when trailing
5th & 6th.

and 8th & 14th overall in the two states

definitely not a "boring team" when they don't need to be. you want boring, that's the Wild, Blues, Coyotes or Caps among others. you want a bit more scoring though certainly, maybe a bit less Lowry line.
I'd say those numbers are skewed because the last couple weeks have been as boring as you can get. Hopefully they get out of the funk. I wonder if we should go back to Scheif Ehlers Vilardi?

Atleast Scheif is back, can see how much we needed him.

We're all worried about a repeat of last year but we also had a long lay off. Optimistic they wake up now. It's crazy how the team can go from unstoppable and controlling the whole game, to the stars being invisible.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd say those numbers are skewed because the last couple weeks have been as boring as you can get. Hopefully they get out of the funk. I wonder if we should go back to Scheif Ehlers Vilardi?

Atleast Scheif is back, can see how much we needed him.

We're all worried about a repeat of last year but we also had a long lay off. Optimistic they wake up now. It's crazy how the team can go from unstoppable and controlling the whole game, to the stars being invisible.
1707328998038.png

definitely was v good during December

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Bowness was the coach in December when we won 8 games out of 9 in a row.

Bowness was the coach in January when we won 8 games out of 9 in a row.

I'm not sure I'd want to criticize Bowness' style of hockey.
I don't believe I was criticizing "Bowness Hockey". Down by three (especially in the third period) any coaching style would be hard-pressed to stage a comeback. With Bowness' defence first philoso[phy, it might be harder. IMO.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
This is a player problem not a coaching problem.

The players played the system to a t in the first half. Bones system isn't offense adverse, it has to do with what the players do when we don't have the puck.

The system generates turnovers and stifles the other teams speed. Offensively, we're all in with the defense activated.

The Jets are cheating right now. They aren't on the right side of the puck, and they aren't attacking the puck carrier with the same urgency or support as before.

If you're right, then the question is can they break out of this mindset. Starting to sound like last year's disinterest.

I think there is some truth to both of your arguments. We have indeed vered a bit from the high pressure scheme which is impacting our play. But there is truth to what @GeorgeJETson has said about Bones and offense. We have about 5 years of data on his schemes and it us definitely much more geared towards defense then offense. Even earlier in the year we were only generating chances at a low mid table rate. We were just scoring on a high proportion of what we generated. Lately we haven't been scoring on those chances which imo has lead to the team deviating a bit.

I was concerned our 5 on 5 finishing would regress, which is why Ive been harping on our special teams for a while now.

This group is being coached to win 2-1 or 3-2 low scoring games. When both your special teams are garbage it makes winning in that way very hard.

Oh good, then I'm not talking outta my ass :laugh:

(Sometimes I do wonder if I am...)

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yup, they have Nino taking them on unit two for crying out loud.
Fun fact that I noticed a couple weeks ago, Nino has the best face-off percentage on the team. Looking at it now, he has the 3rd best, behind Monahan and Appleton, though Appleton has taken very, very few.

Granted Nino's only taken 34.

Reactions: Jets 31

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I would like to thank all of you for your well wishes and kind words on the passing of my mother, it is really appreciated. After my father passed away, we did everything together. I took her shopping, to the doctor, all of her appointments, and even on holidays (mostly to Las Vegas). If I went out by myself, people would ask me, "Where's your Mom?" It will take time, but I have a lot of wonderful memories to always keep me smiling...

My condolences once more, Mac.

It's definitely tough losing a loved one. My dad passed away almost 10 years ago and I find it tougher some days than others. And sometimes it makes me a little too emotional...

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I got some dust in my eyes...

Watch as it'll wind up being a 5 game suspension...

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
What a load of shit. An accidental play (though dangerous and deserving of a major) will result in a suspension, but that puke Hartman, a repeat offender can crush Nik Ehlers who is nowhere near the puck and not expecting it in a completely predatory way.
100% correct repeat offender Hartman hits a player where the puck is nowhere near him total dirty hit and no suspension.
What is Dillon doing that is wrong?
55 lost control of the puck that's why he was leaning forward with his head first ... he has to take some responsibility.
I don't have a problem with suspensions if all the hits to the head got a suspension but we know that's not the case.

GFwEsGeXsAEPoS8.jpg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
100% correct repeat offender Hartman hits a player where the puck is nowhere near him total dirty hit and no suspension.
What is Dillon doing that is wrong?
55 lost control of the puck that's why he was leaning forward with his head first ... he has to take some responsibility.
I don't have a problem with suspensions if all the hits to the head got a suspension but we know that's not the case.

View attachment 815995

Dillon was given a match penalty which requires a hearing or an all clear from the commissioner's office before he can play again. He may get a game, maybe not, but likely 1 or 2.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Monahan was 3 for 5 on Face offs. I honestly thought he had taken more. You don't know in advance when face offs are going to occur, except the obvious ones but we seem to trot Lowry out a lot for certain FO's and maybe in future games Monahan can start to take some that Lowry would take and then get off the ice as quickly as possible. The rest of our C's were horrible as usual.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Dillon was given a match penalty which requires a hearing or an all clear from the commissioner's office before he can play again. He may get a game, maybe not, but likely 1 or 2.
I think he gets 2 games for sure, as that was a nasty head hit. He might even get 3 or 4, but that would be the limit. Maybe if we get lucky, he only gets one game. I'd be surprised to see him get off with nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00