Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Caps 2: The ColePens Has a Heart Attack Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Yeah I wasn't impressed with Pouliot at all. Would Schultz be an upgrade? I liked his game towards the end of the season.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Re: Pooh, pretty much agree with what has been said. He was not good to start, the nerves were there and he was jittery. He was overthinking things and game 3 of the 2nd round against the Capitals is not the time to overthink. But he did settle in a bit and at least play like a third pairing dman. He was most visible when getting sneaky wrist shots in from the point for potential deflection plays.

Yeah, and those shots were important, it was at a time we were getting absolutely nothing going offensively.

His offensive instincts and poise are good.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Agreed, would not at all be surprised if those sneaky wrist shots end up directly leading to an important goal at some point, via deflection or rebound.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I wasn't impressed with Pouliot at all. Would Schultz be an upgrade? I liked his game towards the end of the season.
Pouliot was very impressive against the Caps. Once he settled in, he made plenty of great plays. I think Williams trying to get into his head & taking a penalty helped in a weird way.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm surprised a 22-year old who hasn't played in months didn't step onto the ice for his first career playoff game against a fast, physical team and dominate

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I'm surprised a 22-year old who hasn't played in months didn't step onto the ice for his first career playoff game against a fast, physical team and dominate

Yeah but what about a 25 year old who hasn't played in somewhat less than months who spent years having his development mind****ed by the Oilers?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Some defensive people around here about our prized prospect haha. He had a rough game. It's okay to say it.

Even when he "settled in", his urgency with the puck, especially in our zone, left a lot to be desired. He got pick pocketed from behind coming around his own net in the 2nd period that led to extended zone time and a chance from the Caps. His breakout passes generally weren't crisp and on target. He did make some nice plays in the offensive zone as others have pointed out.

He personally caused at least 3 scoring chances. It happens and I understand the circumstances, but it's still okay to say he struggled.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Some defensive people around here about our prized prospect haha. He had a rough game. It's okay to say it.

Even when he "settled in", his urgency with the puck, especially in our zone, left a lot to be desired. He got pick pocketed from behind coming around his own net in the 2nd period that led to extended zone time and a chance from the Caps. His breakout passes generally weren't crisp and on target. He did make some nice plays in the offensive zone as others have pointed out.

He personally caused at least 3 scoring chances. It happens and I understand the circumstances, but it's still okay to say he struggled.

I personally don't care about his status as a Pens prospect or if he ever plays again. I just think it's harsh to judge him based on the circumstances.

I didn't think Pouliot looked like anything special for most of the year. It wasn't until two or three games before he got perma-benched that I thought his game started coming together, so I certainly didn't expect anything close to average in this situation.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Kind of refreshing seeing the pens get ahead and not having the best performance, considering the same thing happened to the pens that last few years.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah, I thought he was making the smart, safe play for the most part. It's tough to go from not playing for months to game 3 against the Caps in the playoffs.

I thought the same. An expected rough start, but he settled down after a bit.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I'm going with one game, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were two. If it's two, we're screwed.

I'm also assuming Rust is going to be out for awhile if he left on crutches and in a boot.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It's the NHL, so I fully expect 2 games and will be "happy" with 1 because of what happened the game before. Even though, personally, I think it's, at the very worst, a fine.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
What Trotz said doesn't matter. The NHL gives ZERO ***** about what is said about them.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Exactly. He performed exactly how I thought he would to be honest and that's not a knock on him. These are the things that happen when you sit players for months on end.

In the beginning I think he was a little nervous and wanted to make the right plays. Some worked, some didn't. As the game went on, he seemed more relaxed. Problem is, a guy coming in like that will excel when he keeps his game as simple as he can. Easy plays, conservative approaches, nothing fancy - real meat and potatoes stuff...but that's not Pouliot's game. He's a fluid, finesse player who CAN make those fancy plays. So asking him to simplify neuters him in a way. I think he will be better as the series goes, assuming he gets in again.

If Letang is gone you run:

Dumo-Daley
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Cole-Schultz

With Cole and Lovejoy taking time together.

And some guys are going to have to put up big minutes and excel. Bottom line. That on our offense has to produce like they did in the first ALL game. If we win, it's a 5-4, 4-3 type win. Murray will have to be sharp as a tack.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
- Sid/Geno have to get on the score sheet a little more regularly. I get it .. matchups. Shutting down. Yes, fine. But still .. the cream rises to the top and they arent right now. They arent playing poorly but they arent dominating either. If not for the bottom 6, we'd be hurting

This was first game this PO without a point for Malkin. Even if you count only ES points he had ES point 4 out of 7 games. Also I think you re mistaken if you count Malkins line as 2nd line given their ice time allocation (their ES TOI is routinely lower than both Crosby and Bonino lines).

Oh I agree on Malkin's issues. Entirely. But both Sid and Geno have had many many bad line mates in the past and have still managed to get on the scoresheet. I understand they arent 21 anymore but they are still generational players with immense talent. Again .. cream rises to the top. They simply have to get to that next level.

I did look up and only time Malkin had linemates this bad in PO was in 2010. You should check how he fared. I didn't check Crosby but I suspect it's very similar.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Letang will get a game because of all the other stuff in this series. If the Orpik hit doesn't happen, I doubt he gets more than a fine ala Wilson but the NHL is a purely reactionary league so he will get at least a game to not send the caps into full meltdown whining mode.

Call me crazy, but I'm still having trouble understanding what relevance the Orpik suspension has in regards to this incident. Orpik deliberately charged at Maata like a rabid ape and cracked him in the jaw with his elbow, WELL after he got rid of the puck. These two situations are night and day in comparison and Orpik full-fledged DESERVED his suspension. I fail to see the logic in giving Letang a suspension simply because Orpik got one that was merited for a deliberate attack that injured a player.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Call me crazy, but I'm still having trouble understanding what relevance the Orpik suspension has in regards to this incident. Orpik deliberately charged at Maata like a rabid ape and cracked him in the jaw with his elbow, WELL after he got rid of the puck. These two situations are night and day in comparison and Orpik full-fledged DESERVED his suspension. I fail to see the logic in giving Letang a suspension simply because Orpik got one that was merited for a deliberate attack that injured a player.

If Orpik got one game I'd agree. No one's saying Letang should get three games though. Also the fact that Johansson was actually able to make it to the locker room on his own shouldn't matter in these cases IMO, so fair is fair if I'm not contradicting myself in order to give the Penguins a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad