Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Caps 2: The ColePens Has a Heart Attack Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
Sullivan should also try Sid with Geno on much more shifts.
Would solve many problems, not the least Geno not having to take FOs (did he even manage to win one yesterday?) and having Kunitz off from Sid/Geno

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I missed the game, which I think may have been a very good thing for my nervous system.

How was Pouliot tonight? I would certainly expect him to be rusty, and he'd probably need 4-5 games to get back up to true game shape/speed. But was he ok, good, bad?

He was a bit iffy early on, but i thought ge settled down afterwards. had a few good looks in the offensive zon and passed up a good opportunity.
He was also a +2 not that its always a tellign stat.

And, while playing limited minutes and probably against weaker opponents, he was the ONLY defenseman who didnt have a negative corsi % with 50% next best was Daley at 39% and the rest below 30% :help:

pits200

Jul 3, 2011

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
A win is a win.

The biggest problem with this team is the PP. Not only do we not score, we don't even come close. And we're now taking penalties to boot. Ovy stands in the same exact PP spot every damn time, and he gets at least 7 shots a game fed to him. Why we can't copy that with Geno is a mystery.

It's time for Sid and Geno to step the **** up. Feels like we've been saying that for years in the playoffs. If they can't/won't, it's time to take them out of the 'best players in the world' conversation.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The Letang suspension would end the season.

Remember in 2009 when Ovechkin delivered an illegal, predatory hit to Gonchar's knee and ended the Penguins' season?

Pepperidge Farm Remembers.

Suspension, no suspension, stop stockpiling acid in your bellies. It doesn't matter. Game 4 will be played either way and we have no impact on it.

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
Letang will get a game because of all the other stuff in this series. If the Orpik hit doesn't happen, I doubt he gets more than a fine ala Wilson but the NHL is a purely reactionary league so he will get at least a game to not send the caps into full meltdown whining mode.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
People need to look at more than just offensive stats to judge Crosby.

He and Hornqvist were two of the only Pens with a Corsi For above 50% last night in 5 on 5 play. He is a major reason why Ovechkin has been quiet much of the series. It took Ovechkin scoring on a howitzer just after a Pens shift change and after Trotz started to double shift him for Ovechkin to actually get on the board last night. Until then he was invisible in Game 3 and in Game 2.

Crosby was also the only Pens center to win the majority of his faceoffs. In fact, considering how poorly Cullen and Bonino have been in the defensive zone dot this series, Crosby might get a few more faceoffs. Won 5 of 6 in the d-zone last night, including the one that iced the game.

Would it be nice for Sid to be scoring? Sure. But he's playing inspired overall hockey and his line did get a goal last night, though he didn't get any points.

Not taking away credit from Sid but honestly, the major reason of that is not him but a guy called Murray.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm not worried about Sid at all. The Capitals can play defense. They shut down the Flyers top line pretty effectively. The issue they have is that they can't handle the Penguins depth... so they have to choose which line to shut down. Crosby is taking that assignment. its alot like the series vs Detroit. He just needs to play through it and let the rest of the team take care of business.

If the powerplay would wake up we wouldn't even be talking about Crosby's production. Hes been playing well outside the PP.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Any word on if Letang's actually having a hearing or when it'll take place?

Nothing yet. Just hard the will look into it. If theres a hearing it should be today. Orpik geting a hearing was announced 3 hous from now (2 days ago). So we should know either way before noon i guess

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The Letang suspension would end the season.

Remember in 2009 when Ovechkin delivered an illegal, predatory hit to Gonchar's knee and ended the Penguins' season?

Pepperidge Farm Remembers.

Suspension, no suspension, stop stockpiling acid in your bellies. It doesn't matter. Game 4 will be played either way and we have no impact on it.

Don't you think our collective will and power of prayer could at least move a puck a few inches offside or over a goal line?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Daley and Murray were really the only two bright spots for me in this game. Our defense is in the "bend not break" mode right now. The speed and size the Caps have is hard to handle, and we don't have the physicality to take them on.

I think Sid, Geno, and Kessel all had an average game last night. These guys need to be more visible. Letang was playing like a mad man, but he was a difference maker. He was the only Pens player matching the physicality of the Caps, but the problem is, Letang wears down, and this series is taking miles off of him right now.

Every game in the playoffs is a big one, but the next on is huge.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
A win is a win.

The biggest problem with this team is the PP. Not only do we not score, we don't even come close. And we're now taking penalties to boot. Ovy stands in the same exact PP spot every damn time, and he gets at least 7 shots a game fed to him. Why we can't copy that with Geno is a mystery.

To be fair, their PK seems to be much better than ours (and than probably any team around).
Amazingly agressive in a very cohesive way.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
In slightly different circumstances, Matt Cullen gets killed on that DP cross ice pass that Cullen somehow turned into a scoring chance. That pass should have come with a life insurance policy. His breakouts were not crisp and never got to where they could be crisp (we also lost 2 separate 3 on 2s where DP passed it too far ahead of everyone). Every time he was pressured at the point, it seemed like he coughed the puck up, too. Considering those two things are what are supposed to be his strengths, he was a major problem.

If Pouliot is going to look like he did tonight in any period, I'd be a lot more comfortable with Schultz in the lineup, even if Schultz were playing out of position.

Yes sir. He looked and played tentative, which is understandable in his 1st playoff game, but we really don't have time to let him work through it. His turnovers could have cost the game. If Letang is suspended, we don't really have a choice, but Schultz needs to be in over him.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Well, they won.

+ Murray. Jesus this kid is good. Not crowning him the next coming cause .. see: Hammond, Ottawa Senators 2015. But wow, this kid is good. So calm, poised, dialed in. Cant say enough good things about him

+ bottom 6. These guys are definitely earning their money. I hope we can bring them all back next season.

+ Letang ... outside of his hit. He played a pretty stellar game, outside of the hit. He should get suspended 1 or 2 games, which will totally screw over the Pens but it needs to be done.

- 3rd period. For the love of christ, really guys? That awful in the 3rd? I honestly feel lucky we won the game. Tho to be fair, the score could have been a lot worse. They were buzzing in the second and could have had a few more goals.

- Sid/Geno have to get on the score sheet a little more regularly. I get it .. matchups. Shutting down. Yes, fine. But still .. the cream rises to the top and they arent right now. They arent playing poorly but they arent dominating either. If not for the bottom 6, we'd be hurting

- PP. I mean .. its been so long, why even bother bringing it up? Its putrid. In the offseason, find a PP coach. Pay him/her/it whatever they want. Get that person to turn this crapshow of a PP into something at least respectable.

Other than that .. nice to see them win 2 in a row. If Letang is out for game 3 (which I think he should and will be), it will be rough and Id suspect we get a huge loss on the scoresheet.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
- Sid/Geno have to get on the score sheet a little more regularly. I get it .. matchups. Shutting down. Yes, fine. But still .. the cream rises to the top and they arent right now. They arent playing poorly but they arent dominating either. If not for the bottom 6, we'd be hurting

Both have different problems i would say.

Sid doesn't look bad but not good either.
Geno looked very good when he had quality possession but the problem in last game was justly that he very rarely got good possession.....either because of him (those FOs ffs :help:) or because of his linemates (Kunitz....nuff said).
Also there were way too many icings which kills many of their possessions.

- PP. I mean .. its been so long, why even bother bringing it up? Its putrid. In the offseason, find a PP coach. Pay him/her/it whatever they want. Get that person to turn this crapshow of a PP into something at least respectable.

Our PP looked more than fine against the Rangers once Geno came back.
But this time, you have to admit we're facing possibly the team with the best PK around.
You have to give credit to them, their PK is amazingly agressive in a very cohesive way.
Sid not beeing inspired in some occasions also didn't help

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Both have different problems i would say.

Sid doesn't look bad but not good either.
Geno looked very good when he had quality possession but the problem in last game was justly that he very rarely got good possession.....either because of him (those FOs ffs :help:) or because of his linemates (Kunitz....nuff said).
Also there were way too many icings which kills many of their possessions.

Oh I agree on Malkin's issues. Entirely. But both Sid and Geno have had many many bad line mates in the past and have still managed to get on the scoresheet. I understand they arent 21 anymore but they are still generational players with immense talent. Again .. cream rises to the top. They simply have to get to that next level.

Our PP looked more than fine against the Rangers once Geno came back.
But this time, you have to admit we're facing possibly the team with the best PK around.
You have to give credit to them, their PK is amazingly agressive in a very cohesive way.
Sid not beeing inspired in some occasions also didn't help

I think it was more the case that the PP looked so good because the Rangers were a dumpster fire of garbage. I dont think it had anything to do with the PP. I mean .. the PP was god awful all season EXCEPT for the Rangers series. Thats pretty telling.

The Caps PK is outstanding, no doubt. Cant give them enough credit. But still. Even if the Pens PP was marginally better, it would make a difference. What are they .. 0-13 or something in the series? 0-7 in game 2? Even if they score ONE PP goal, its going to OT and maybe a win.

I dont expect the PP to score every time. But jesus, this is awful.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The problem with Geno's line is Kunitz isn't the Kunitz he used to be. The Caps are keying in on Geno and Kunitz is open for looks, he just can't do anything with the puck when he gets it. You see flashes of old Kunitz like the pass to Fehr, but he's just too slow now (foot speed, hand speed, decision making, etc). Fehr is fine as a defensive conscience, board battler, in front guy, but they really need another guy that can do something with the puck on that line. We just don't have the healthy depth for that to happen.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know it was his first playoff game, but I'm surprised at how little Pouliot's play has been discussed. I didn't read all of this thread, but it seems like Billy and Cole are the only ones that actually critiqued him.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
I know it was his first playoff game, but I'm surprised at how little Pouliot's play has been discussed. I didn't read all of this thread, but it seems like Billy and Cole are the only ones that actually critiqued him.

he was certainly terrible in the first period, but i thought played a bit better as the game went on. its a huge ask to expect a guy like him to step directly into a series like this. like trying to step onto a treadmill already moving at topspeed. possible letang discipline aside, i think you have to give him another game and if he isnt better then you make the change.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Re: Pooh, pretty much agree with what has been said. He was not good to start, the nerves were there and he was jittery. He was overthinking things and game 3 of the 2nd round against the Capitals is not the time to overthink. But he did settle in a bit and at least play like a third pairing dman. He was most visible when getting sneaky wrist shots in from the point for potential deflection plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad