Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't disagree about Eller having more value than Acciari but I think it's the difference between a 4th and a 6th. In that respect, I'd that keep Eller because he's a bit better. I think Eller is more valuable to us than the return we would get but Acciari's $2mil in cap space is more valuable than the difference in returns.

That all said, Nieto-Eller-Acciari would be a bomb defensive 4th line for us if we are forced to keep everyone.

Now, if we want to look internally for the 3C, that's easy - Ponomarov. Skipping Eller and Acciari, he's the next one on the depth chart and in talking to Hurricane fans, he would be capable of playing there. If you could get get Drury for Pono or the 2nd and Holtz for Jarry+Koivunen, you could put together a hell of a roster:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Smith(trade)-Drury-Holtz
Nieto-Eller-Acciari

POJ-Letang
Petts-EK
Graves-Shea/Ludvig/etc

Neds-Blomqvist

Preference would obviously be to send Smith out for a younger 3LW coming back.
What we getting for Smith? we got lots of cap space with that roster because it's for the most part the same lineup we have now with like 12M cap space.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What we getting for Smith? we got lots of cap space with that roster because it's for the most part the same lineup we have now with like 12M cap space.
My hope was a younger bottom 6 LW. Or a 3rd and we go out and sign someone.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think Pens can get a second from a contending team for Smith. But a third is more likely. It is the cap flexibility that matters. Dubas probably has to be top offer for FA wingers as the Pens are not seen as cup contenders. Yes over pay a tad is not the issue. Getting younger players that fit and bring physical play is what the need is. Eller was fine as a 3rd line center. If him and say DOC or Stephenson are on that line that has the makings of a good 3rd line.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I feel like Treliving is gonna do something stupid

I mean matches up with his record.

I think Pens can get a second from a contending team for Smith. But a third is more likely. It is the cap flexibility that matters. Dubas probably has to be top offer for FA wingers as the Pens are not seen as cup contenders. Yes over pay a tad is not the issue. Getting younger players that fit and bring physical play is what the need is. Eller was fine as a 3rd line center. If him and say DOC or Stephenson are on that line that has the makings of a good 3rd line.

Getting a 2nd or a 3rd for Smith is absolutely batshit thinking.

You are probably looking at taking on a contract like Mikheyev or something similar that shaves a little cap off and gives you a "more appropriate bottom sixer". Which I'd just argue keep Smith hope he bounces back and then you can trade him at the deadline.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
If the cap goes up to 88M like the league projected, the pens will have alot of room to play with. I hope they dont blow that money on guys like Eller/Graves again. Use the cap on trades or impact players. Id fill out the bottom-6 with Poulin/Puusty and grab some waiver eligible players teams will try to sneak down to the AHL.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If the cap goes up to 88M like the league projected, the pens will have alot of room to play with. I hope they dont blow that money on guys like Eller/Graves again. Use the cap on trades or impact players. Id fill out the bottom-6 with Poulin/Puusty and grab some waiver eligible players teams will try to sneak down to the AHL.

We currently have 13F and 5D that are signed and Jarry giving us around 11-12 mil.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you look at this lineup:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Smith-Eller-Puustinen
Nieto-Acciari-Puljujarvi
Poulin

POJ-Letang
Petts-EK
Graves-Ludvig
Shea-JSI

Jarry-Blomqvist

And assume moderate raises to RFAs, that lineup is only $78mil, so there's roughly $9mil in cap space to work with. I wonder if there are any teams we can target for cap casualties like we did Smith last year. Or maybe it's how you get a Teuvo Teräväinen - Carolina got him along with Bickell fora 2nd and a 3rd. There might be a team out there needing to shed a contract that we can take on in order to resign some guys that we could get value for taking. Some unconventional thoughts would be something like:

Owen Beck+Josh Anderson or Christian Dvorak
for
Sam Poulin or Ponomarov

Kakko+Goodrow+2nd for Acciari+4th

McNabb+Roy for Pono or Poulin (this move would allow us to send POJ out in a swap for a similar forward, maybe something POJ to Vancouver for Podkolzin or Suter)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Smith-Eller-Puustinen
Nieto-Acciari-Puljujarvi
Poulin

POJ-Letang
Petts-EK
Graves-Ludvig
Shea-JSI

Jarry-Blomqvist

And assume moderate raises to RFAs, that lineup is only $78mil, so there's roughly $9mil in cap space to work with. I wonder if there are any teams we can target for cap casualties like we did Smith last year. Or maybe it's how you get a Teuvo Teräväinen - Carolina got him along with Bickell fora 2nd and a 3rd. There might be a team out there needing to shed a contract that we can take on in order to resign some guys that we could get value for taking. Some unconventional thoughts would be something like:

for
Sam Poulin or Ponomarov

McNabb+Roy for Pono or Poulin (this move would allow us to send POJ out in a swap for a similar forward, maybe something POJ to Vancouver for Podkolzin or Suter)

By unconvential thoughts do you mean completely absurd?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
By unconvential thoughts do you mean completely absurd?

Vegas has zero space and the need to sign 2 forwards and a dman. They need space. March and Steph are UFAs to boot. Why wouldn't they look at their more expendable players and see if they can get a decent young guy in return?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
If Kakko is still available this offseason I wouldn’t mind going for him. That’s who I wanted as part of a Jake trade to NY.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
A smart GM would use the cap space to acquire assets from cap strapped teams. Too bad we don’t have one of those.

Reactions: Pens x

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Smith-Eller-Puustinen
Nieto-Acciari-Puljujarvi
Poulin

POJ-Letang
Petts-EK
Graves-Ludvig
Shea-JSI

Jarry-Blomqvist

for
Sam Poulin or Ponomarov

Yep. There's breathing room to go make changes this year. Even more if you Jettison Smith or Graves. Adding a 10M+ stud winger is absolutely possible, or a solid W and a top 4 D.

Reactions: SEALBound

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Smith is on a one-year deal now and to suggest he can't get a low second or a third is just not the case. Teams will be all in with no contractual hit after this year as a one-year player with a decent pedigree. Pens need to get a physical LW and smith just isn't that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Vegas has zero space and the need to sign 2 forwards and a dman. They need space. March and Steph are UFAs to boot. Why wouldn't they look at their more expendable players and see if they can get a decent young guy in return?

No they don't. They have 5.6 mil to sign 2 forwards without moving out any players. They could easily move one of Hague, McNabb, or Whitecloud and bring up Krozcak. They also have Dorofeyev who was great this year they can likely sign for cheap.

1715374818331.png

Smith is on a one-year deal now and to suggest he can't get a low second or a third is just not the case. Teams will be all in with no contractual hit after this year as a one-year player with a decent pedigree. Pens need to get a physical LW and smith just isn't that.

It is the case. Nobody pays 2nd or 3rd round picks for 40 pt wingers who are 33 and make 5 million.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Go watch this video compilation of all of Sam Reinhart'S goals and tell me he wouldn't be dynamite on this team. Deflections galore from well placed point shots (Karlsson) and quick one timers/tap ins from passes near the crease (Sid). Reinhart was out scoring the entire Pens team on the PP for a good chuck of last season. Put him in the bumper position, Karlsson and Geno at the points, Bunting in the crease and Sid on the half wall. It will be magic.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Go watch this video compilation of all of Sam Reinhart'S goals and tell me he wouldn't be dynamite on this team. Deflections galore from well placed point shots (Karlsson) and quick one timers/tap ins from passes near the crease (Sid). Reinhart was out scoring the entire Pens team on the PP for a good chuck of last season. Put him in the bumper position, Karlsson and Geno at the points, Bunting in the crease and Sid on the half wall. It will be magic.

Reinhart is going to sign in Florida for like 7.75 - 8.25.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Reinhart is going to sign in Florida for like 7.75 - 8.25.
Not after Dubas offers 7 years, $10.5 million.
🤣
Then Rakell, Broz and a 3rd for a couple Chicago dogs and deep dishes to help the Hawks to the floor.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad