Series Talk: ECF: New York Rangers vs Florida Panthers *Game 1 Wednesday 5/22 @ 8pm ET*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Panthers have good players but all of the guys I'm worried about are good against everyone. They don't have one of those guys that sees the Rangers and turns into Goku.

No Oshie, no Aho, no Guentzel, no Carlson.

If the Caps didn't trade Anthony Mantha, we might be home right now. Dude would have scored 13 goals in 7 games.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Does anyone here actually remember Wheeler playing? We're back to the old=slow platitudes when footspeed was never the issue, it was his hands. He was bobbling pucks all over the place which is quite odd for a player who was 9th in league scoring 6 seasons ago and had back to back 90 point seasons.

Pre-injury Wheeler was significantly faster than Kakko, though I guess that isn't a high bar to clear.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Does anyone here actually remember Wheeler playing? We're back to the old=slow platitudes when footspeed was never the issue, it was his hands. He was bobbling pucks all over the place which is quite odd for a player who was 9th in league scoring 6 seasons ago and had back to back 90 point seasons.

Pre-injury Wheeler was significantly faster than Kakko, though I guess that isn't a high bar to clear.
The tectonic plates are faster than Kakko.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean if the Rangers had played in the finals last year and had everyone pumping their tires as the serious contender in the east all season, we'd all probably be talking the same way Florida fans are
but that was last year, rosters are different, matchups are different. Hell if anything you could say "going deep two years in a row is hard because you wear down, therefor the Panthers are at a disadvantage"

I also choose to believe that Maurice is a mid enough coach that he'll never win the cup and this will just be another year to prove that.
Also would be funny for Lavy to beat him and then win the cup since Maurice with the coach fired by the Hurricanes before they signed Laviolette and won the cup.

Reactions: Ruotsalainen29

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean if the Rangers had played in the finals last year and had everyone pumping their tires as the serious contender in the east all season, we'd all probably be talking the same way Florida fans are
but that was last year, rosters are different, matchups are different. Hell if anything you could say "going deep two years in a row is hard because you wear down, therefor the Panthers are at a disadvantage"

I also choose to believe that Maurice is a mid enough coach that he'll never win the cup and this will just be another year to prove that.
Also would be funny for Lavy to beat him and then win the cup since Maurice with the coach fired by the Hurricanes before they signed Laviolette and won the cup.
I also feel like it's really extra because they swept Carolina.

We should have swept Carolina.

The Knicks got thoroughly outplayed in their series. Three of Indiana's wins were legit blowouts. Meanwhile, if the Knicks close out game 3 like they should have, they're up 3-0.

What does that tell us? It tells us that series length is bullshit.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I
I also feel like it's really extra because they swept Carolina.

We should have swept Carolina.

The Knicks got thoroughly outplayed in their series. Three of Indiana's wins were legit blowouts. Meanwhile, if the Knicks close out game 3 like they should have, they're up 3-0.

What does that tell us? It tells us that series length is bullshit.
I can't remember shit, how did that penalty at the end of game 4 happen? I have some memory of Rangers defenseman stumbling and trying to slow down a canes forward

Like just dumb bad luck for a dumb penalty to happen right at the end of a game

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I

I can't remember shit, how did that penalty at the end of game 4 happen? I have some memory of Rangers defenseman stumbling and trying to slow down a canes forward

Like just dumb bad luck for a dumb penalty to happen right at the end of a game
It was the Lindenberg.

AV said in 2014 that he was closer to winning the Cup then than he was in 2011.

He got heat for it but he was right and it's the only time I ever agreed with AV.

You have to win FOUR games to win a series. The 2011 Finals didn't have four games that the Canucks were even in.

Meanwhile, we could have won that 2014 series in 5 in the right circumstances, let alone in 7.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
This is every fanbase. The amount of NYR fans I know who don’t know shit about hockey or the team is staggeringly large. These folks are just far better masked in big market O6 teams.

But there are fans in other markets who love their team and know the team well. And I’ve chatted with more than a few from Florida who well remember the John VBK early years of the Panthers.

I don’t think it’s ideal to assume too much on entire fanbases.

Like I’ve seen a lot of people shit on Vegas hockey fans and I lived in there. I saw a lot of great hockey fans there. People that supported a Vegas ECHL team for 10 years and knew that roster inside out. And of course the Vegas Wranglers had the ever-awesome "Don't Shoot, I'm Human" Dick Cheney Hunting Vest Night.

Newer teams have to start somewhere. But for any newer team there are always some passionate fans who know the game or are excited to dive into it.
I get what you are saying, but having been in south Florida for many years, the no nothings are out in force come playoff time.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It was the Lindenberg.

AV said in 2014 that he was closer to winning the Cup then than he was in 2011.

He got heat for it but he was right and it's the only time I ever agreed with AV.

You have to win FOUR games to win a series. The 2011 Finals didn't have four games that the Canucks were even in.

Meanwhile, we could have won that 2014 series in 5 in the right circumstances, let alone in 7.

Yeah, Ugh. Rangers were right there in 2014 and the puck just kept bouncing for the Kings (who admittedly worked for those bounces as well).

In the end I see a weirdly overconfident bunch of Panthers fans who seem to think they're the only good team in the East.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I remember that Wheeler had a horrible start, looked slower than whatever, hands, feet mind. Then there was a point where he started contributing. What I don't remember is if he reverted back to early season Wheeler before getting hurt or was he playing his best hockey before he got hurt.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, Ugh. Rangers were right there in 2014 and the puck just kept bouncing for the Kings (who admittedly worked for those bounces as well).

In the end I see a weirdly overconfident bunch of Panthers fans who seem to think they're the only good team in the East.
They have every right to be confident and they have a very good team.

What gets me is the notion that they've seen this before and we haven't.

We also played the Lightning when they were actually good, in 2022. We've come back from 3-1 down. We've closed out series we never trailed in. This core has done everything already.

The only experience edge the Panthers have is being in the Finals with "being in" being very debatable.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
There are a lot of reasons we're diminished by other fanbases:

We bottled 2-0 leads in consecutive series coming in to the season.

We are weirdly ignored by the general hockey media so people haven't absorbed narratives that we're a good team.

Our public analytics aren't great and even if we do some thing well that don't show up in those, we do have an issue outscoring our opponents 5v5.

We are a largely hated team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad