Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Sharks 1 (OT): Horswoggle with Sweet Chin Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Definitely. And rightfully so. But I think it's starting to tilt in Sid's favor a bit because of how integral he has been in the Final. I know the playoffs are 4 series long and Phil was probably the MVP of the first 3, but it was close with Sid anyway and I think some extra credence has to be given to the final round.

I love Phil though and would be equally happy for either guy. Seeing Phil raise the Cup regardless would just be absolutely epic.

I'd say that right now it's between 3 or 4 players. Crosby, Kessel, Murray and maybe Bonino. Crosby had a strong Rangers series, a quiet Caps series, 3 GWG against Tampa and he's a monster in the final so far with limited production. Kessel has been scoring every series and he's been dangerous; his line is why we're this far. Bonino has been clutch and producing, but he's also on a line with Kessel playing like this. Murray is a rookie goal tender putting up good numbers with his last 4 games 92.3-95.5% save percentage (elimination games and SCF games) and there's a very good chance they wouldn't be here without him.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Last night's game again proved what's wrong with NHL. Its bad officiating. The so-called best officials are reffing this game. But they missed the too many men on the ice penalty against the SJs, two punches to the face by Blowhart joe and Hertle, and the great tackle on Fehr. If only the steelers could tackle like that.

Its obvious both the NHL and NBC want this series to go to seven. There is no other reason to miss these calls.

They didn't "miss" anything. I've never seen so many deliberately ignored calls that were so painfully obvious within such a short period of time. As soon as the Sharks went 10+ minutes without even managing a SOG in the 2nd period you knew that something had to give.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The main board thread on the Marleau hit is embarassing. A bunch of people acting like it was shoulder to chest just because the dops said so. As if the dops has never been wrong before.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I also think Sid has passed Phil in the running. He's only 2 points behind him and has been absolutely dominating. He played shutdown against the Caps top line. He also has 4 GWG to Phil's 0, including an OT winner. He also is getting a lot of press for drawing up the play last night. In order I have Sid, Murray, Phil. There's still plenty of hockey to play though.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Just saw the game this morning. Phil stole Bonino's goal. That dirty rotten thief! :laugh:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'd say that right now it's between 3 or 4 players. Crosby, Kessel, Murray and maybe Bonino. Crosby had a strong Rangers series, a quiet Caps series, 3 GWG against Tampa and he's a monster in the final so far with limited production. Kessel has been scoring every series and he's been dangerous; his line is why we're this far. Bonino has been clutch and producing, but he's also on a line with Kessel playing like this. Murray is a rookie goal tender putting up good numbers with his last 4 games 92.3-95.5% save percentage (elimination games and SCF games) and there's a very good chance they wouldn't be here without him.

Good call on Bones. I don't think we make it this far without any of those guys.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I also think Sid has passed Phil in the running. He's only 2 points behind him and has been absolutely dominating. He played shutdown against the Caps top line. He also has 4 GWG to Phil's 0, including an OT winner. He also is getting a lot of press for drawing up the play last night. In order I have Sid, Murray, Phil. There's still plenty of hockey to play though.

I'd give Dumo an Honorable Mention. He wouldn't even be considered, but he's quietly been our most solid, consistent defender.

But of course, the discussion is academic at this point. Series could easily tilt back to even in SJ.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'd give Dumo an Honorable Mention. He wouldn't even be considered, but he's quietly been our most solid, consistent defender.

But of course, the discussion is academic at this point. Series could easily tilt back to even in SJ.
I really can't get over the contributions that we're getting from rookies. Dumo, Rust, Sheary, and Murray. Even Kuhn has 5 points, a shorty, GWG, and is a +1. :yo:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I really can't get over the contributions that we're getting from rookies. Dumo, Rust, Sheary, and Murray. Even Kuhn has 5 points, a shorty, GWG, and is a +1. :yo:

Can't be overstated enough how huge those kids have been. Rust and Sheary are going to remember those goals forever. Those were huge goals for this team. I'm sure Staalsy remember that game 4 SHG against Detroit.

Murray, you can't say enough good things about but honestly, it's really no surprise after watching him in WBS and his games in the RS.

Took Dumo awhile to get here but man is he solid.

Perhaps the best part of them doing so well is the emotion they express when they score and the gleam in their eye when they talk to the press. Both Rust and Sheary were about to burst from the seams with excitement. It's awesome and refreshing to see. Long overdue for this Pens team. And I thank God for that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Agreed with Sid pulling ahead in the Smythe convo. I'd give it to one of Crosby, Kessel, or Bones.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I was at the game, and it was so loud my ears were still ringing when I finally got to bed. Good God the place was shaking literally.

Couple thoughts -
Obvious match-up nightmare for the Fins. Dunno if they can break up some lines, move Pavelski down or what not, but our 4 vs their 4 in 5 on 5 play is a huge problem.

Their 3rd D pair is awful, and the fewer mins they get the more we wear down their top4.

Having said that, it's also getting hard to hide Lovejoy and Maatta. Many of the most extended shifts for SJ had those 2 unable to get the puck under control and moving out, regardless of what Fs they were out there with.

The refs as usual were brutal, and expect them to get worse as they try to keep SJ in it.

I never thought Jumbo was an esp dirty player, but he has been an absolute pr*****. **** him and I hope he never gets a Cup.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
It definitely did seem like every time there was an extended shift down low for the Sharks that Maatta was on the ice. Poor guy needs some offseason gym work like no other. Understandably so he looks physically weak at times.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah Maatta was probably their worst dman last night. He still makes some really good plays with the puck on his stick, but his lateral movement is really bad. If a guy gets a step on him wide, it's a guaranteed scoring chance.

Lovejoy though I thought was pretty strong last night and has been for the past few games. Love him or hate him, he's been solid.

Also, Schultz is really fun to watch live. He makes so many good plays with the puck to evade pressure, transition the puck, avoid getting plastered, etc.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Crosby's new nickname shall be Cheaty McCheatface.

The British government appreciates the time put in to coming up with this name, but have decided his new nickname will, in fact, be Lance Armstrong.

His stick can be named Cheaty McCheatface

CHLLL Penguin

Nov 14, 2011
Sorry if this was already posted but #sidneycrosbycheats is trending on Twitter and its pretty funny

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I gotta go with this...even though the MVP of the playoffs has honestly been Matt Murray. Taking everything into account, it's Murray in the clear cut #1 spot, then 50ft of ****...then there's a discussion about #2 with Sid, Phil, Letang, and Bonino.

However, Sid getting that Conn Smythe puts a nice cherry on top of the season for him. He may get the nod just in name. No one else, like you said, has been a complete standout.

What makes Murray even more impressive for me is that a lot of net minders struggle when not facing many SOGs per game. They tend to zone out instead of focusing like they would facing tons of rubber. Fleury is a prime example of this. The kid's mental makeup is staggering for his age and experience in the NHL.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Its nice being up 2-0 but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

We won by 1 goal in both games very late And one in OT While at home.
the scores have not been a very good indicator of how that games have gone so far. If Jones doesn't stand on his head the Sharks give up ~10 goals in these game, not just 5.

switch23

Sep 22, 2010
tumblr_o84maiuiXM1ry7v0ro6_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad