Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Sharks 1 (OT): Horswoggle with Sweet Chin Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Wish I could get down to a game, it'd be amazing. I've been to one almost every year but my vacation time just won't line up this year (have to take time off for a wedding) plus I am assuming ticket / accommodation are pretty wild.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
For those of you at the game, how many people would you estimate were outside watching? I have that pic from 2009 of the outside crowd hanging in my living room, and it sure looked like there were more there last night from the CBC broadcast.

Wow.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Crosby's been an absolute freak the last four games... we have won all four. Hopefully he keeps it up.

His transformation from superstar scoring center to Steve Yzerman on steroids is complete and maaaan is it fun to watch. 200 feet of domination.
Funny you say that. The last few games I've been thinking about Yzerman being his favorite player.

I can't say enough about him. It's like we're watching him evolve.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Last night's game again proved what's wrong with NHL. Its bad officiating. The so-called best officials are reffing this game. But they missed the too many men on the ice penalty against the SJs, two punches to the face by Blowhart joe and Hertle, and the great tackle on Fehr. If only the steelers could tackle like that.

Its obvious both the NHL and NBC want this series to go to seven. There is no other reason to miss these calls.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Being up 2 is awesome, but we still have to win a game in San Jose.

The icing that led to San Jose's goal is my biggest minus. Hagelin could of made a smart simple play and passed the puck to Bonino who was open at center ice. Instead he tried to hit Kessel down the ice who had a guy on him and iced the puck. With a lead and time winding down, you gotta be smarter than that Hags.

And what the **** is up with San Jose throwing punches at everyone's head during the game? I guess that's allowed now?

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I don't blame the Sharks at all for their tactics. They are slower than the Pens so why not hook and hold if the refs are just going to ignore it?

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Sheary's been feeding me a nice supersized serving of crow in this series. Before then final's started I was pleading for Sullivan to remove him and his "rubber stick" from Sid's wing. Naturally he decides to turn into Conner "Clutch" right afterwards :laugh:

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I think 81 has a decent shot at it?

If (we win and) Sid plays the rest of the series the way he has played the last four games he takes it. Recency bias and all that. Our team is so balanced that no one player's contributions really stand out from the group, so the Captain gets credit for his team's consistency and indomitable will.

Cam130

May 31, 2016
Pens fan here. While the Sharks were a little better at times last night they still aren't playing well enough for long periods of time to have a legit chance to beat the Penguins. The Penguins are possessing the puck much more then the Sharks are which is not allowing the Penguins to take any penalties and get the Sharks dangerous power play unit on the ice.

The Sharks top line of Pavelski, Thornton, and Hertel were invisible in Game 2 and have not been much of a factor at all. While the Sharks had a little push in the 3rd period they still got out shot 30-22 and are getting out shot 71-48 through 2 games. You simply aren't going to beat a team as good as the Penguins if this continues.

While this series isn't over just yet and I definitely think the change of venue can help the Sharks play better and maybe win a game, I just have not seen enough out of the Sharks these first two games to allow me to believe that they can win 4 out of the next 5 games against the Penguins. I think if the Pens just grab one game at the Shark Tank and go up 3-1 this series realistically will be over.

Cam130

May 31, 2016
I was trying to find Deboer's presser but I couldn't find it.
The Sharks are looking bad because the Penguins are making them look bad plain and simple. For Deboer to sit there and say in his press conference last night that both games were toss-ups just because the Pens won one game with 2 mins left in the 3rd and the last night's game in OT would be inaccurate. The Pens were the better team in both games and deserved to win both games. The Sharks can sit there and talk about all they want about how they played both games tight and didn't play their best but the bottom line is they still lost. You don't get a win or half a win in this series by playing the Penguins close and still losing. I think the Sharks need to make some major adjustments and change things up a great deal in game 3 if they hope to have any chance to win a game and get back into this series.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I was complaining after game 5 of the ECF that Rust and Sheary were killing just about every shift they were out there on. Welp

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I think 81 has a decent shot at it?

Definitely. And rightfully so. But I think it's starting to tilt in Sid's favor a bit because of how integral he has been in the Final. I know the playoffs are 4 series long and Phil was probably the MVP of the first 3, but it was close with Sid anyway and I think some extra credence has to be given to the final round.

I love Phil though and would be equally happy for either guy. Seeing Phil raise the Cup regardless would just be absolutely epic.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Pens fan here. While the Sharks were a little better at times last night they still aren't playing well enough for long periods of time to have a legit chance to beat the Penguins. The Penguins are possessing the puck much more then the Sharks are which is not allowing the Penguins to take any penalties and get the Sharks dangerous power play unit on the ice.

The Sharks top line of Pavelski, Thornton, and Hertel were invisible in Game 2 and have not been much of a factor at all. While the Sharks had a little push in the 3rd period they still got out shot 30-22 and are getting out shot 71-48 through 2 games. You simply aren't going to beat a team as good as the Penguins if this continues.

While this series isn't over just yet and I definitely think the change of venue can help the Sharks play better and maybe win a game, I just have not seen enough out of the Sharks these first two games to allow me to believe that they can win 4 out of the next 5 games against the Penguins. I think if the Pens just grab one game at the Shark Tank and go up 3-1 this series realistically will be over.

Wrong forum. :)

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
The Sharks are looking bad because the Penguins are making them look bad plain and simple. For Deboer to sit there and say in his press conference last night that both games were toss-ups just because the Pens won one game with 2 mins left in the 3rd and the last night's game in OT would be inaccurate. The Pens were the better team in both games and deserved to win both games. The Sharks can sit there and talk about all they want about how they played both games tight and didn't play their best but the bottom line is they still lost. You don't get a win or half a win in this series by playing the Penguins close and still losing. I think the Sharks need to make some major adjustments and change things up a great deal in game 3 if they hope to have any chance to win a game and get back into this series.

Deboer also said before game 1 that the Sharks were the faster team. He clearly is mistaken.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Sofia Vergara is on our side...who the hell could be on theirs?

Not a great game as a whole. I didn't think we looked all that great even enough we controlled a lot of the play. At the end of the day, a W is a W and that's all that matters at this point but when you know they can play soooo much better...I want that.

So much can still happen though. Not out of the woods just yet. Secretly inside...I want San Jose to take Game 3. Then we take 4 and then win it all in Pittsburgh for game 5. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I really want the fans to enjoy the win at home for once. I just don't want to root against the Pens and their cup winning potential in game 4 if they win game 3. Then I'll have to decide inside what's more important - sweep or win at home.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If (we win and) Sid plays the rest of the series the way he has played the last four games he takes it. Recency bias and all that. Our team is so balanced that no one player's contributions really stand out from the group, so the Captain gets credit for his team's consistency and indomitable will.

I gotta go with this...even though the MVP of the playoffs has honestly been Matt Murray. Taking everything into account, it's Murray in the clear cut #1 spot, then 50ft of ****...then there's a discussion about #2 with Sid, Phil, Letang, and Bonino.

However, Sid getting that Conn Smythe puts a nice cherry on top of the season for him. He may get the nod just in name. No one else, like you said, has been a complete standout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad