Post-Game Talk: Pens 2 Preds 0|So Long and Thanks For All the Fish|Pens Win Stanley Cup 4-2|Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Hard to believe they pulled this off. Last years Cup should have been won by the Pens, they were by far the best team and had insane depth. This year they really should have lost at numerous points, they really had to dig deep for this one. Insane resiliency. With the players we've had over the last 12 years, just the 1 Cup in '09 was kind of disappointing, but now with 3 and a back to back this era of the Penguins has exceeded just about any exceptions anyone could have had for this team.

If I'm JR maybe I let Mike Sullivan renegotiate his contract. He deserves to be one of the higher paid coaches in the league. Keep this guy happy and reward him for what he's done for this franchise. As great as the rosters have been in the last 2 years, the coaching staff have been just as good imo.

Really, really cool for MAF and Kunitz to rewrite their legacies for this franchise. I think we all have been really hard on those two over the years for good reason, but MAF was incredible in rounds 1 and 2 and Kunitz had a great final.

The big 3, what is left to say about these guys? Crosby and Malkin are absolute legends in Pittsburgh, and Phil is off to pretty good start with his legacy for this franchise. Yet they've all had their doubters, hopefully they are ready for some more crow to be served:

I remember how annoyed I was with that first video during 2015. Now? God is it bitter sweet and that ****er has to eat so much crow.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Phil was hated because the media made him out to be the savior of the Leafs upon arrival. I love Phil, but he's a passenger. He's a damn good passenger, but a passenger nonetheless. Dude was vilified and dragged through the mud for years by the same media that made him out to be what he isn't.

Easier than coming to terms with a **** organization that made a decade's worth of horrible mistakes in the front office.

A point per game player in the playoffs is not a passenger.;)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's super sweet leaving the hockey world scratching their heads and saying, for the 2nd consecutive year, "How the hell did they win with that blueline??"

Plenty on this forum too. It's not like our defensive stats have been awful either. Plenty of things our blue line isn't wonderful at, but when it comes to making it really awkward for people to score, they're pretty good.

A point per game player in the playoffs is not a passenger.;)

Not by most standards, no :laugh:

But it is kinda accurate. He's close to the last person in hockey you want to see emerge with the puck on a break away or be given time and space in the circles, but if the team isn't putting him in those positions or he's whiffing there's not a lot else he brings to the party. He's pure offence. Sometimes those players are passengers.

A better way of putting it is that he's not a great foundation stone for a team but he's a super-elite supplementary player. I'm not surprised that Tender Rip's thread on the trades forum got nothing but Toronto fans arguing with the idea he'd been terrible there (points wise he definitely wasn't), no one else out there has the core for getting the best out of him that we do.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It's super sweet leaving the hockey world scratching their heads and saying, for the 2nd consecutive year, "How the hell did they win with that blueline??"

True.

When Sullivan was asked about the D a few days ago he said, "they're a simple crew". And last night he said, "we even refer to them as a motley crew". He knows.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm ****ing exhausted.

The media abused him like crazy, and some people believe what they read in the paper.

And, lbr, if Phil looked different and had a more traditional hockey personality things most likely would have been easier on him. He stood out in a bad way and it made him an easy target.

I think that we all have to reassess the blue line after this and I kind of want to go back and watch them without the stress to see how they did.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Can't get enough of Ellis getting sticked in the face by Rinne on that goal. What awareness Horny has around that net, best last pick overall the Preds ever took.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Yooooouuuu're heeeeeeere, there's nooooooooothing I fear....

Never noticed how the puck rode up the top of the netting and came down in a perfect spot for Hornqvist.

Hockey gods deemed it was time to end our torture.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Yooooouuuu're heeeeeeere, there's nooooooooothing I fear....

Not sure that goal is gonna get the love it deserves for difficulty. If Sid scored that, the exact same way we would be talking about the incredible timirg and hand eye coordination.

I know Horny doesn't have the best hands, but that was a handsy goal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not sure that goal is gonna get the love it deserves for difficulty. If Sid scored that, the exact same way we would be talking about the incredible timirg and hand eye coordination.

Especially since his hand or wrist, something is jacked up (probably his whole body)

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

He doesn't have the best hands except around the net. Horny doesn't play pretty hockey 99% of the time but he's effective and really ****ing good around the net.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I'm seriously on cloud 9.

I'm at work and not paying a lick of attention to work lol.

My boss, who knows I'm a pens fan, came by and said "Oh you're here today. I thought you'd be sleeping on some steps somewhere. We will talk tomorrow about work stuff" .. with the highest grin on his face.

Life is good today haha

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Wooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Champs!!!

I wonder if the league tries to copy us again, but instead of speedy bottom six wingers they swap their defenders with AHL guys!

Come at us, league! We'll figure out a way to win. It might take a few games, but the Pittsburgh Lokomotiv will crush all!

Oddfello

Jimmy Montrose
Mar 15, 2013
Pittsburgh
Just amazing. Love our Pens!

Not to be a downer, but was talking to a friend last night and the subject of Pouliot came up. How bad does this guy have to feel? Not only did he miss a shot at 2 cups, but he watched guys like Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Rowney, Archibald, Ruhwedel, and Kuhnackle move up and win themselves a cup. Just crazy.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Not to be a downer, but was talking to a friend last night and the subject of Pouliot came up. How bad does this guy have to feel? Not only did he miss a shot at 2 cups, but he watched guys like Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Rowney, Archibald, Ruhwedel, and Kuhnackle move up and win themselves a cup. Just crazy.

Youd have to hope that he channels that into motivation. Its a competetive world.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I've spent the last few hours checking out the flyers, caps, rangers, and bruins boards. i'm in a salt coma. so gratifying...:laugh:

Haha, I haven't done that yet but saw the main boards. I read we are the "worst ever" at everything!

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Maybe it'll motivate him. I'd love to know how Sprong feels about this.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

It's pretty nuts but that's life. There's a lot of people asking themselves 'what if' this morning. There's still plenty of time for him to have his own shot at it if he can figure it out.

I do love the contribution our prospects have made though. Doesn't happen without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad