Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Preds 0 - DYNASTY . . . Pens Win Stanley Cup 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I knew Dumoulin played a lot... but I wasn't expecting to see him at 26 minutes.

Dumo: 26:08
Hainsey: 21:24
Maatta: 19:23
Schultz: 18:13
Cole: 17:43
Daley: 17:21

Subban: 26:57
Ekholm: 26:11
Josi: 25:14
Ellis: 24:05
Weber: 9:16
Irwin: 8:17

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
I consider myself a notorious lurker as is, but will occasionally make comments here and there. For superstitious reasons, stayed out of all threads of all kinds.

My favorite run of the three, an enthralling ride. Kunitz OT goal will go down in history and will end up being played in the montages of this team's history, decades and perhaps generations from now, considering the end result now.

But beyond that, I just wanted to say I am surprised the hockey world hasn't caught up to Dumoulin yet. This guy always elevates his game when the games are at their highest stakes. People will look back at this year and make mention of our "no name defense". My question is, when does Dumoulin get his due for being a great defensive defenseman? I don't care what anybody says, these past two summers have verified to me that he is a top pairing defenseman. He'll never get the points, so I suppose he fits right in with the media/opposing fan narrative that our D lacks any quality outside of Letang, and even Schultz.

The best skater on the ice in G7 against Washington. Could put him in a short-list for best skater tonight. He's incredible, I hope we give him a long-term extension rather than a bridge.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Congratulations from Winnipeg

Just wanted to congratulate the Pens for a great year, and on winning the Stanley Cup. You guys deserve it. A classy organization from top to bottom. I hope to see a three-peat. Wish I was in Pittsburgh to celebrate!

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Dumoulin's game rarely makes anyone's list because:

- He doesn't put up points
- He doesn't play a big physical game
- He doesn't make many flashy plays
- He's over shadowed by Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang and Schultz

Basically the only time most people notice him is if he makes a mistake, otherwise he's simply being "carried" by the rest of the team/blueline. :sarcasm:

But I agree, we need to sign him to the longest and cheapest contract we can. Ideally 4-6 years.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Got to love the main board. When the Pens got up in the series, the discussion was if these were the worst finals ever. Then the Pens win and the discussion is that the Pens cup winning teams are the worst of all. lol you can set your watch by it. So much stupid hatred with a myriad of 'lets talk **** on it to make us feel better about ourselves' threads.

Drink it in man.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
Dumoulin's game rarely makes anyone's list because:

- He doesn't put up points
- He doesn't play a big physical game
- He doesn't make many flashy plays
- He's over shadowed by Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang and Schultz

Basically the only time most people notice him is if he makes a mistake, otherwise he's simply being "carried" by the rest of the team/blueline. :sarcasm:

But I agree, we need to sign him to the longest and cheapest contract we can. Ideally 4-6 years.

Well said. The lack of offensive output and physical display makes him an afterthought. But I know there's nobody I trust more when with a 1-goal lead.

Also, a side note - I believe we are the first team in well, a long while, to lead the league in goal scoring during the regular season and actually win the Stanley Cup. Hopefully somebody can spot the confirmed stat. I just remember that being an NHLN talking point 2 months ago.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Well said. The lack of offensive output and physical display makes him an afterthought. But I know there's nobody I trust more when with a 1-goal lead.

Also, a side note - I believe we are the first team in well, a long while, to lead the league in goal scoring during the regular season and actually win the Stanley Cup. Hopefully somebody can spot the confirmed stat. I just remember that being an NHLN talking point 2 months ago.

Believe it's one of the 90's Pens cup teams. '92 i think was the last team that led the league in scoring in both the RS and PO's and won the Cup.
2017 PIT just did it too.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
We're the first time since the lockout - I didn't go back further than that.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I still love that Ovechkin has been to the playoffs all these times without even reaching the conference finals, but Hainsey gets to hoist the Stanley Cup on his first trip to the playoffs.

And if you're still reading, Hainsey's brother in law guy, I don't hate Ron. I think he's kind of awesome.

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
Which is more satisfying?

The fact the penguins won the cup for a second year in a row... Or hearing/reading all the haters cry enough salty tears to fill an Olympic pool per minute. Facebook is my absolute favourite because i can troll the crap out of them with zero consequences.

*however, they troll me hard for my terrible spelling haha*

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The facebook comments on the radio tomorrow are going to be succulent. Everyone but Penguins fans are pissed. It is glorious.

I can't wait for all of the talk of "controversy" and refs fixing the game for the Pens. :laugh: Nothing more amusing than irrational sports fans.

I have my dvr set to record just about every sports show tomorrow for some good comedy.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
You can't beat irrational sports fans for amusement.

Hearing about how the refs fix everything for Crosby and the Pens as a whole. What a treat those old chestnuts are.

But, the cup win far surpasses any chuckles you get from the tinfoil hat lot.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Winning. It's been a non-stop *****fest with everyone in the hockey world hating and crying about this team since Sid landed in black and gold, so that's nothing new nor special. I couldn't give a **** less about other teams' fanbases and their hatred for us, or their irrational conspiracy theories. **** 'em. :laugh:

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Oh, and in case anyone wants to drag up all the stuff I posted about it being a bad idea to give a hockey coach a long contract, and how standing pat in the offseason is a bad idea because other teams are looking forward and improving, that was the old me. He was stupid.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Just wanted to congratulate the Pens for a great year, and on winning the Stanley Cup. You guys deserve it. A classy organization from top to bottom. I hope to see a three-peat. Wish I was in Pittsburgh to celebrate!

What Dread Pirate Roberts said: seems Pens and Jets have some hate rivalry going on between fans and teams that shouldn't be happening:laugh:. However thanks for stopping by with the kind words. Good luck in 17-18 and Hopefully the Jets find success soon.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
Here it is:

There it is, good find.

Surreal to think about. Just shows the amount of skill we have up front. The Pens did a real number on Rinne's playoff numbers this series. A lot are going to resort to the narrative of the Penguins being opportunistic, lucky, what have you. But goal scoring is indeed a skill, not just a statistic. Just add Rinne to the list of Bobrovsky, Holtby, and Lundqvist of the past two years being humbled by this team. I believe the Penguins were the league leaders in goals in either 2012 or the shortened 2013, but either way - what a difference in eras this is proving to be. No longer getting Halak'd, or cold turkey against the Rangers. Part of me wants to say Kessel put us over the top, but it's obviously much more than that. Oh well, plenty of time to dissect all this later on. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad