Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Caps 0 - And To Think We Doubted The Hockey Gods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
In all fairness...had we lost...I would have been on the Caps train.

If there is one thing that doesn't get mentioned enough...thank you mods for doing what you do there. I think we all know we could be having it much, MUCH worse. Like children not being embarrassed of their parents, I am not embarrassed of Pens mods :)

Mario reactions are my favorite part of the playoffs. His reaction when Cole scored last year was great. Loved it.

It was short lived. Smiled and enjoyed it last night. Today, it's game on all over again. Forget game 7...let's focus on game 1.

Wow...I guess I wasn't the only one :\.

I honestly wasn't expecting to pull out game 7, but when they started playing I could see otherwise.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
And Degen posted a warning. And there are 100000 warnings because caps fans can't discuss hockey with anyone else.

I'm gonna tread lightly here, but if this post gets edited/deleted I certainly understand.

I don't get the bolded. Every fanbase has morons and every fanbase has decent people. I've never seen a fanbase capable of lumping everyone together like the Caps fans do. There are honestly just two groups in their eyes, Caps fans and everyone else.

Even their "welcome" message from the mod on that board is basically saying go away, we don't want or need your opinion. I get it that nobody wants to be trolled and especially not after a soul crushing defeat like last night, but that seems to be their opinion all the time.

I mean, are adult discussions THAT hard to have when opinions differ? I guess so, sometimes.

I would feel bad for the Caps and their fans if they weren't such insufferable dicks all the time.

I guess basically, this.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Yesterday I decided to try to jinx the Caps (and the Oilers) by betting a few bucks on them winning their respective game 7. It worked! You are welcome. :D

So proud of this team. We adjusted, played smart, played with intensity, had a bit of luck and it worked. I know we are the cup favourites now but after this, everything is just gravy. If we win - awesome. If we don't, well, getting to this stage without Letang and Murray is pretty amazing in itself.

And since it cannot be said enough - Hornqvist, what a warrior! if the Caps have five players like him and Williams maybe they will eventually beat us some day in the playoffs. :)

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I believe that he was hurt, he looked awful. But the idea that that's why they lost is a pile of ****. It's not like the Pens were healthy, somehow they managed.

His game took a bit of a dive this year in the regular season, anyway. It's not like he buried 50 and then because of an injury went cold in the playoffs.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's almost like the Crosby vs Malkin comparisons. Murray is better than Fleury just like Sid is better than Geno.

Fleury had a great playoffs overall so far, but it's not even that close really. Nevermind Murray being a decade younger.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
It has been a day and I still can't quite believe that this pens team, whose injured blue line is held together by scotch tape, managed to beat a completely healthy caps :laugh:

i did guess pens in 7... but I am a homer.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
It has been a day and I still can't quite believe that this pens team, whose injured blue line is held together by scotch tape, managed to beat a completely healthy caps :laugh:

i did guess pens in 7... but I am a homer.

Didn't you hear? Ovi was playing through an injury!

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Fleury had a great playoffs overall so far, but it's not even that close really. Nevermind Murray being a decade younger.

Of course. I don't mean to say that Maf is comparable to MM. Geno is obviously way closer to Sid's level than Maf to MM.

But Maf does have a pretty tremendous peak when he's on top of his game. Sadly it's extremely rare for whatever reason.

Murray is just a stone cold killer and will give you 920 come rain or sun.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Feels soooo good to be wrong about last night.

Hornqvist and Cole were just warriors, and honestly Kunitz had his best game in years, he made all the right reads on defense, and made the simple smart play each time he had the puck.

Who would have thought Fleury and Kunitz would help drag us to the ECF again?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm not a gigantic Rowney fan, but his forechecking ability last game was on point. He looked like Jordan Staal out there. He brought energy and grinded some in the corners. Liked his game.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Considering we won, I'm now glad this went 7. Instead of ending it in 5. We went thru some adversity and came out on top again. You have to do that in the playoffs. And with our injuries, going thru something like this and coming out on top was important.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm not a gigantic Rowney fan, but his forechecking ability last game was on point. He looked like Jordan Staal out there. He brought energy and grinded some in the corners. Liked his game.

For sure. I wouldn't play him every game, but keep subbing him in here and there to get that type of performance and allow others to rest up. This team is banged up and still possibly 14 games left.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Every round presents challenges, but boy... does it ever feel good to get the Jackets and Caps out of the way.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What makes our board great...makes another ****. Some of my favorite ppl who come around here are flyer, ranger, or jacket fans. Its good to have open discussion.

Think about how much info Auf just gave us in the last 24 hrs. Great perspectives.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I just noticed the Caps still have Brooks Orpik for 2 seasons at a $5.5 million hit. Ouch. What was he down to, like 11 minutes a game during the Caps/Pens series?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Brooks Orpik is completely shot. Him throwing down was shocking. Him throwing down in a playoff game against a no-name 4th liner just goes to show how done he is. That was like an old dog snapping at anything coming near him because he is so vulnerable.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Orpik being on the Caps with that contract is one of the things that makes me happiest in the NHL. He's expensive, awful, failing and taking up valuable cap space right now. It's great and he's helped the Pens in the playoffs for two years now.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Orpik being on the Caps with that contract is one of the things that makes me happiest in the NHL. He's expensive, awful, failing and taking up valuable cap space right now. It's great and he's helped the Pens in the playoffs for two years now.

Even ex Penguins like Orpik and Jagr haunt that franchise.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
IDLEDc2.png

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Eh. Trotz's demise is greatly exaggerated around here. Comparing his stock to Bylsma's is insane. Even if he takes the fall for this outcome, he'll still find a job in fairly short order. I don't think he's the cream of the crop or anything but I think he's one of the legit good coaches in the league. Nashville was undermanned the whole time he coached there so that's incredibly deceiving to cite his time there. I mean we all know it's a problem with the Caps culture and their roster, and probably their leadership.

I know I'm making it sound like I'm a huge fan of the guy. It's not that at all. I just think he's a good coach and most people seem to agree.

Trotz made some tactical adjustments that Sully took a couple games to figure out how to answer. Does that make him a genius? No, but I'd say it puts him well ahead of Bylsma. Can you imagine Bylsma figuring out tactics that could frustrate a Sullivan-coached team?

Can you imagine Bylsma figuring out tactics?

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
That was like an old dog snapping at anything coming near him because he is so vulnerable.

Nah, I'm pretty sure he did it to try and get his teammates fired up, sort of like when Talbot got Cancillo to fight him in 2009. Maybe that's because he figured it was the only way he could help his team, but I'm pretty sure there was purpose behind it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Nah, I'm pretty sure he did it to try and get his teammates fired up, sort of like when Talbot got Cancillo to fight him in 2009. Maybe that's because he figured it was the only way he could help his team, but I'm pretty sure there was purpose behind it.

But how far has Brooks Orpik fallen to fight...let alone fight in a game 7. That was really the only redeemable thing he could do at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad