Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Caps 0 - And To Think We Doubted The Hockey Gods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Even ex Penguins like Orpik and Jagr haunt that franchise.

:laugh: they should sign Kunitz.

Trotz made some tactical adjustments that Sully took a couple games to figure out how to answer. Does that make him a genius? No, but I'd say it puts him well ahead of Bylsma. Can you imagine Bylsma figuring out tactics that could frustrate a Sullivan-coached team?

Can you imagine Bylsma figuring out tactics?

I can picture Bylsma having an epiphany about tactics and getting over it after one game. Trotz isn't Bylsma levels of incompetent but I think he's got some serious shortcomings and he's in a similar mold.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not a gigantic Rowney fan, but his forechecking ability last game was on point. He looked like Jordan Staal out there. He brought energy and grinded some in the corners. Liked his game.

Rowney was pretty damn good along the boards. I thought that was something the 4th line was missing prior to last night. Zero possession/time killing time in the Washington zone because they weren't winning battles or tying up the puck along the boards. Rowney did really well at that, I thought.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
wilson and rowney were fresh and fast. it's that simple. archie would have been a monster in that series

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
wilson and rowney were fresh and fast. it's that simple. archie would have been a monster in that series

they were noticeable almost every second they were on the ice. It was pretty nice actually.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Rowney was great in game 7 and hopefully earned the next game as a starter. The love for Archibald at this point in his career is solely based on potential, as a young guy who can skate. Hopefully he'll never see the ice in these playoffs.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Rowney was great in game 7 and hopefully earned the next game as a starter. The love for Archibald at this point in his career is solely based on potential, as a young guy who can skate. Hopefully he'll never see the ice in these playoffs.

Yeah barring anymore injuries, I would be surprised if any of the forwards slot in outside of the 14 we've seen so far i.e. Archi, Sunny, Sprong.

Same guy for the D really, I don't think we go past the 7 and slot in Streit outside of an injury.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Good luck guys. I would never have thought that a decimated Pens team still had what it took to beat us but I guess I was wrong. I criticise Fleury a lot, I call him Swiss Cheese to annoy my friend who is a Pens fan and a Fleury fanboy, but he stepped up his game and looked as good as Murray last year. No Letang, no Hagelin, no Crosby for a game and a half and you still win.

I'm rooting for the Sens (close to home and against you) and Preds (PK Subban) obviously, but the Pens winning the Cup would be a rare feat. Teams don't repeat with their best D injured, their backup goalie in net and half the forwards playing injured. There's a great storyline for all 4 teams left.

Oh and the Caps board isn't so bad. Once you get to know each poster and their tendencies, you can filter out the useless/paranoid stuff and get some good content. They're good people, they're just tired of paying thousands in season tickets to see their team lose. Going to a Caps game in the playoffs is an interesting experience. The fans go from excitement to anxiety and vice versa all game long.

Also, sports is for fun, shouldn't be wishing for injuries under any circumstance. Don't understand the people who cheered for Crosby's injury.

Hopefully the Caps rebuild and become a young team again, and maybe we'll beat you eventually.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Good luck guys. I would never have thought that a decimated Pens team still had what it took to beat us but I guess I was wrong. I criticise Fleury a lot, I call him Swiss Cheese to annoy my friend who is a Pens fan and a Fleury fanboy, but he stepped up his game and looked as good as Murray last year. No Letang, no Hagelin, no Crosby for a game and a half and you still win.

I'm rooting for the Sens (close to home and against you) and Preds (PK Subban) obviously, but the Pens winning the Cup would be a rare feat. Teams don't repeat with their best D injured, their backup goalie in net and half the forwards playing injured. There's a great storyline for all 4 teams left.

Oh and the Caps board isn't so bad. Once you get to know each poster and their tendencies, you can filter out the useless/paranoid stuff and get some good content. They're good people, they're just tired of paying thousands in season tickets to see their team lose. Going to a Caps game in the playoffs is an interesting experience. The fans go from excitement to anxiety and vice versa all game long.

Also, sports is for fun, shouldn't be wishing for injuries under any circumstance. Don't understand the people who cheered for Crosby's injury.

Hopefully the Caps rebuild and become a young team again, and maybe we'll beat you eventually.

Thanks, I guess, and good luck in the off-season.

We'll do it all again around this time next year. I look forward to this rivialy, regular season and playoffs.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Thank you for the kind words! Take care. And hell.. we will see eachother soon before we know it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The issue with the Caps board is they make it so hostile for any outsiders to even consider posting because of those "mod warnings" in every OP.

If a forum has to tell outside fans to basically shut up and don't disagree with us or else, I'm not sure how inviting that is for anyone to actually come in and discuss hockey. Say one thing the group think doesn't like and it results in a thread ban or infraction? That's just petty and immature.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The issue with the Caps board is they make it so hostile for any outsiders to even consider posting because of those "mod warnings" in every OP.

If a forum has to tell outside fans to basically shut up and don't disagree with us or else, I'm not sure how inviting that is for anyone to actually come in and discuss hockey. Say one thing the group think doesn't like and it results in a thread ban or infraction? That's just petty and immature.

I will second this in a respectful way. Every board has the right to make their own rules, but it drives me nuts. It's a message board. I understand if you want Pens fans out, but it's a warning for every single fan not local. Strange as can be as the whole point of a message board is to discuss topics and debate.

Nonetheless - every board has their right to do what they want. With tools such as thread ban, it's just silly to keep that rule going.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I will second this in a respectful way. Every board has the right to make their own rules, but it drives me nuts. It's a message board. I understand if you want Pens fans out, but it's a warning for every single fan not local. Strange as can be as the whole point of a message board is to discuss topics and debate.

Nonetheless - every board has their right to do what they want. With tools such as thread ban, it's just silly to keep that rule going.

The way it works on the Caps board is that if you're not a Caps fan, you can only contribute by wishing good luck or saying things that don't go against our opinions. I find that a bit too restrictive, but this measure was put in place to counter the flock of Leafs/Habs/other fans that would just invade our threads to argue with us or give backhanded compliments, which then led to Caps fans flaming back and getting infracted. I'm not a mod, I have no idea how much crap they have to clean up in each thread.

Basically, the Caps board is a place where only Caps fans argue between themselves. The Caps fans willing to argue go on the main boards. It's unique to the Caps board, we distinguish ourselves by many things, among which is our desire to be a mostly closed community. Personally, I don't mind outsiders as long as they are respectful and not diminishing us or our team.

I'm usually all over the place during the playoffs, but I can't stand the general stupidity of the main boards.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I will third this, ridiculous even though I rarely venture on other team's boards.

As an aside Eazy for Kuzy, and chancing the trope of 'some of my best friends are Cap fans', I have said before here that one of my favorite posters at HF is a Cap's poster, though he is rarely on anymore. Mothra. He and I went back and forth regarding Crosby/Malkin and Ovechkin when they all came into the league, among other things, and he was one of the best at making you really defend your position. Great mind, respectful, great poster.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Normally, I just don't like you because you troll Pens threads and you're not really the most pleasant person to discuss hockey with at all, but I appreciate you coming in here and being humbled by the loss and we definitely know how much it can suck to lose when you are supposed to make it further than you ended up making it.

Caps have the pieces, the problem is you guys just need to find an identity and not just a chance to market certain players and build a regular season winner. Like I said, Caps have the pieces.

Hopefully the summer isn't a rough one for your team dude.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

You could have said the exact same thing about guys like Sheary and Rust last season. The only difference is injuries allowed them to keep playing and establish themselves.

I'm 100% certain he would help this team more than Kuhn and likely Wilson as well. He is more than just speed. He is tenacious as hell with a nice set of hands and well rounded game. He is an ace PK guy that causes major fits for point men with his speed.

This team is built around all the things that Archibald does well.

Keep in mind some of us on here are Steeler fans, so we understand what it is like to have one team be our favorite team's daddy, so you won't see much gloating from fans like us with perspective. I know the difference is the Steelers have won a couple of SBs, but the frustration is quite similar.

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The way it works on the Caps board is that if you're not a Caps fan, you can only contribute by wishing good luck or saying things that don't go against our opinions. I find that a bit too restrictive, but this measure was put in place to counter the flock of Leafs/Habs/other fans that would just invade our threads to argue with us or give backhanded compliments, which then led to Caps fans flaming back and getting infracted. I'm not a mod, I have no idea how much crap they have to clean up in each thread.

Basically, the Caps board is a place where only Caps fans argue between themselves. The Caps fans willing to argue go on the main boards. It's unique to the Caps board, we distinguish ourselves by many things, among which is our desire to be a mostly closed community. Personally, I don't mind outsiders as long as they are respectful and not diminishing us or our team.

I'm usually all over the place during the playoffs, but I can't stand the general stupidity of the main boards.

Just an example of why that doesn't work --- So the one thing I see right now is g00n is talking about x's and o's in Game 7 and he's just completely wrong in his analysis. I'd love to jump in from an x's and o's perspective and it would be a solid x's and o's discussion.

Nonetheless - very kind words and thank you for stopping in. You are welcome here whenever. :yo:

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Normally, I just don't like you because you troll Pens threads and you're not really the most pleasant person to discuss hockey with at all, but I appreciate you coming in here and being humbled by the loss and we definitely know how much it can suck to lose when you are supposed to make it further than you ended up making it.

Caps have the pieces, the problem is you guys just need to find an identity and not just a chance to market certain players and build a regular season winner. Like I said, Caps have the pieces.

Hopefully the summer isn't a rough one for your team dude.

WSH doesn't need to change much. They just have too many European players to win a Stanley Cup. Don't mean to offend all Europeans, but they just don't seem to want to win as badly as North Americans.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
:laugh: they should sign Kunitz.

I can picture Bylsma having an epiphany about tactics and getting over it after one game. Trotz isn't Bylsma levels of incompetent but I think he's got some serious shortcomings and he's in a similar mold.

Unlike Bylsma, Trotz will adjust. It just takes him a long time and by the time the adjustments are made it's too late.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
WSH doesn't need to change much. They just have too many European players to win a Stanley Cup. Don't mean to offend all Europeans, but they just don't seem to want to win as badly as North Americans.

They may not have a choice but to change a lot, based on their salary cap issues. Doesn't mean they can't adequately replace players they lose.

As far as the Europeans thing goes, to put it nicely, that's an overly broad and grossly inaccurate generalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad