Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Caps 0 - And To Think We Doubted The Hockey Gods

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I would feel bad for the Caps and their fans if they weren't such insufferable dicks all the time.

Gotta think something goes down this summer in Washington. That team is way too deep and talented to continue to fail. What do you do? Fire Trotz? Who is a better coach that's available? Trade Ovechkin? I'd be utterly floored if that happened. He's Leonsis' guy til the end. I don't think you can really even do anything except stay the course and hope it all works out...

Either way, **** the Caps and **** Ovechkin. :)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I would feel bad for the Caps and their fans if they weren't such insufferable dicks all the time.

Gotta think something goes down this summer in Washington. That team is way too deep and talented to continue to fail. What do you do? Fire Trotz? Who is a better coach that's available? Trade Ovechkin? I'd be utterly floored if that happened. He's Leonsis' guy til the end. I don't think you can really even do anything except stay the course and hope it all works out...

I figure **** the Caps, especially Wilson and Niskanen.

They have some of the most insufferable fans on these boards, but it is a small collection of their general fan base. I try to look at the broad picture of it all and realize just like our fan base, they have d-bags and lowlives who were happy Crosby were hurt (and a certain mod that feigned his worries for Crosby), but I've no doubt there are kind and good hearted Caps fans. I feel badly for them on a human level.

Maybe because I'm a Steeler fan and know how it feels... but at least I have been lucky enough to have seen them win two SB in my lifetime.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

They won't win with the current core and their leadership. They need to shake up the core and bring in another player or two to help with the leadership. They are on what, 4 coaches now with the same result? It is on the players now.

I do feel bad for some of the Caps fans, I just wish them to have success at someone else's expense.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I thought Ron Hainsey (6'3" 210lbs) held that title?

Dumoulin is listed at 6'4 207 lbs with a 10 year age gap and Stanley Cup playoff experience. Hainsey is on the downside of his career and first time playoffs.

I expect Hainsey to not be a driving force on this defense. I can't say the same for Dumoulin.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Thx. Figured he would have some gaffes at some point after a long layoff.

You can watch the play in question under the Condensed Game video highlights on NHL.com. It's at the 1:00 mark. The puck takes a freaking perfect bounce pass off of the boards, around Ruh, and hits (thankfully) Winnik in stride.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
He's a beast he's the glue that holds the team together

Cannot be understated IMO.

I know that the most important move of the past few years to change this team's fortunes was Sully and all that came with him. And the trades of last year no doubt had a huge impact on style.

But I look at acquiring Hornqvist as maybe the kernel for the team the Pens have now become. Without re-litigating James Neal, JR shipped a guy with stellar numbers and a questionable temperament for a guy who was going to score less but was just the kind of tough but skilled lunchpail ******* we had been missing for years. I know we had another 18 months of MJ's paint-drying hockey to sit through, but getting Hornqvist was such a big signal and must have spoken volumes to the team. And look at them now. I dont think its any coincidence that guys like Rust, Kuhn, Sheary, Guentzel, play with the same uncanny focus, that they are going to give up their bodies to make the play time and again.

I love the guy, and I know I sound like his mom right now, but he just epitomizes to me what is great about this team. You can knock them up, down, all around, and they will get up, smile, and come right back for more until they beat you. It's old school, and its just what is called for this time of year.

Last edited:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
They won't win with the current core and their leadership. They need to shake up the core and bring in another player or two to help with the leadership. They are on what, 4 coaches now with the same result? It is on the players now.

I do feel bad for some of the Caps fans, I just wish them to have success at someone else's expense.

i think the Herb Brooksism of we don't need the best players we need the right players really rings true for both teams.

We had seasons where we had the best players but not the right ones and failed. Just like the Caps now. You need players with heart, ones that have high hockey IQ and understand what it takes to win and are willing to do it.

Until the caps have a core group of players with those attributes they are doomed.

They really should trade Ovechkin, 10M in cap space for what he brings to the table is just not worth it. If you want a team with heart and battle you can't build around a guy that has little of either.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Cannot be understated IMO.

I know that the most important move of the past few years to change this team's fortunes was Sully and all that came with him. And the trades of last year no doubt had a huge impact on style.

But I look at acquiring Hornqvist as maybe the kernel for the team the Pens have now become. Without re-litigating James Neal, JR shipped a guy with stellar numbers and a questionable temperament for a guy who was going to score less but was just the kind of tough but skilled lunchpail ******* we had been missing for years. I know we had another 18 months of MJ's paint-drying hockey to sit through, but getting Hornqvist was such a big signal and must have spoken volumes to the team. And look at them now. I dont think its any coincidence that guys like Rust, Kuhn, Sheary, Guentzel, play with the same uncanny focus, that they are going to give up their bodies to make the play time and again.

I love the guy, and I know I sound like his mom right now, but he just epitomizes to me what is great about this team. You can knock them up, down, all around, and they will get up, smile, and come right back for more until they beat you.

that was my first post after the game last night, I said if I hear anyone ever complaining about Horny or calling for atrade, i will track him down and eliminate.
The guy changed pens as much as anyone else, he brings what no one else on this team does.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
i think the Herb Brooksism of we don't need the best players we need the right players really rings true for both teams.

We had seasons where we had the best players but not the right ones and failed. Just like the Caps now. You need players with heart, ones that have high hockey IQ and understand what it takes to win and are willing to do it.

Until the caps have a core group of players with those attributes they are doomed.

They really should trade Ovechkin, 10M in cap space for what he brings to the table is just not worth it. If you want a team with heart and battle you can't build around a guy that has little of either.

well easy to say when we already have two best players in the world. What was missing and why we have been so angry for all the Bylsma years was that many of realized that all we needed was a good coach and certain decent cogs to move that engine. it turned out to be young speedy complimentary players. there are 100 of Rusts in NHL but no Penguins' Rusts (if I make any sense), There are so many better players than Sheary but you get few things out of him what compliments the team. you have Horny to add another laye, etc...

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Dumoulin finally played a game that didn't make me hate him. He used his size for once to his advantage instead of being the largest Penguin cream puff on the ice.

He did play a very solid game, but twice for some reason he fell on the ice trying to pivot, was kind of funny (lucky the Caps didn't take advantage)

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

This whole Ovi thing is such a bs. Ovie did not lose this series. if oshie did not miss the open net, or couple of bad bounces or Flower didn't do his stick magic, Caps win. the whole narrative turns and ovi is finally in the stardome where he belongs. its not his fault that their coach or GM has Winnik, Wilson Eller and whoever on those bottom two lines, they contributed zilch.

Ovi is who he is, he is one player on the team that failed in many other areas...

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
OK, who else is walking around with a big ****-eating grin today?

:laugh:

:rolly: I say it often, but my Wings fan friends around here love giving me crap anytime possible. They must all be on vacation as of last night, because they were all very enthusiastically cheering on the Caps and have immediately disappeared.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
another thing I got to get off of my chest is that there is no question taht the best defense is crazy forecheck and relentless backcheck. Can you play like that every game, especially playing so many games probably not. But Guentzel did not play those games, wilson did not paly those games, Rowney, even rust (being hurt). All our guys were banged up for extended period of time that may be blessing in disguise.

Dewey Eye

Apr 28, 2014
i posted this on the main board, but alas, no one found it interesting i guess. 10 American-born players played for the pens last night.

I thought that was pretty significant and unusual. albeit, not as unusual as it used to be as hockey spreads through more non-tradtional areas in the US, but 10 is still a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad