Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Yeah. My whole opinion is based on Mario Lemieux :shakehead

Please. I'll say the same for any team that tanks. If you haven't noticed this is happening more often than before and if you aren't worried, good for you. But I am.

Uh, vlad, u do realize that the league now has a minimum payroll now to go with a cap to keep teams from totally unloading don't you?

And as for you harping on teams "tanking" I know you're referring alot to what WAS did....well given that they were in near last place with about a $50 mill payroll and knowing the CBA was expiring and the owners were dead set on a reasonable cap (which they apparently were) they'd look pretty damn stupid right now having finished at best the 9-10th worst team in the league and now having to buyout contracts ala philly did today with LeClair and Amonte and a very bleak future wouldn't they? Now they have a bright future and plenty of cap space to build a decent team.

I really used to have alotta respect for your opinions but after your rambling on this thread (and a couple others) I really lost alot of it.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
sawtooth420 said:
hey Vlad....HHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA :biglaugh: Sorry buddy, maybe next time! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA
LETS GO PENS
66+87+17(MALKIN...wink wink)= :win: :bow:
:pens
Classy, very classy.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Evilo said:
Vlad has every right to think the Pens tanked.
He simply doesn't understand the Pens' financial situation in details, and there's nothing wrong with that.
The thing is simple : when you don't want to lose money, and you barely break even with money trades, then you can't do anything else.

Or you could turn into Bill Wirtz and disfranchise your fans even more :D

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Unholy Diver said:
let me try to explain things in lay terms for you people that can not seem to understand the penguins situation

if you are making 9.50$ an hour you do not go out and buy a $750,000 home but you find an apartment that you can afford maybe for 400$ a month

so are people in the small apartments "tanking"? no they are living within their means

you can not spend money that you do not have

and as for the Pens being "so bad" as Dan Briere says, well the Sabres have made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs just as many times as the Pens have so are the Sabres "all time cellar dwellers"? did the Sabres "tank" when the blew game 7 in the cup finals a few years back?

you people have no idea what the Pens situation is or was and your hatred for the team will keep it that way
You fail to realize that the Pittsburgh Penguins DO have the money to get a top-tier free agent and have one of the highest payrolls in the NHL. Every single owner could go out and have a $100 Million payroll. They could spend just as much as the Rangers. That's why they are owners of an NHL team. They shower with $100 bills. They are filthy, filthy rich. But they didn't get that way by spending $100 Million on an NHL team, and then losing $80 Million. The myth that NHL owners can't "afford" a $50 Million payroll is a hilarious, it's just that they aren't willing to spend that money on a hockey team. They have so much money it's unbelievable. They have the money. They're just not willing to spend it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Broadway Crosby said:
You fail to realize that the Pittsburgh Penguins DO have the money to get a top-tier free agent and have one of the highest payrolls in the NHL. Every single owner could go out and have a $100 Million payroll. They could spend just as much as the Rangers. That's why they are owners of an NHL team. They shower with $100 bills. They are filthy, filthy rich. But they didn't get that way by spending $100 Million on an NHL team, and then losing $80 Million. The myth that NHL owners can't "afford" a $50 Million payroll is a hilarious, it's just that they aren't willing to spend that money on a hockey team. They have so much money it's unbelievable. They have the money. They're just not willing to spend it.

I was just mentioning this on the Pens board before the draft.

Most ppl. don't seem to realize the second biggest investor in the Pens is a multi-billionare. (After Mario)

Pens will have more than enough for their projected budget of a 32m cap.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Broadway Crosby said:
You seem to be making pretty ridiculous, sweeping generalizations about NHL owners. Not all are multibillionaires that use $100 bills to light their cigars. Unholy Diver made the point in that teams need to live within their means. If the Penguins have been struggling to stay afloat on a measly payroll, how can they afford a $50 million one? Makes no sense.

P.S. - Please change your username. Thanks.

RusH

Jul 23, 2005
Largo, FL
Congratulations Pens!
They are my adopted favorite team, since I`ve never set foot in Pittsburgh, along with the Islanders and Lightning...living in both cites for so many years.

I can`t wait for the season to start!!! :jump:

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
The Maltais Falcon said:
You seem to be making pretty ridiculous, sweeping generalizations about NHL owners. Not all are multibillionaires that use $100 bills to light their cigars. Unholy Diver made the point in that teams need to live within their means. If the Penguins have been struggling to stay afloat on a measly payroll, how can they afford a $50 million one? Makes no sense.

P.S. - Please change your username. Thanks.
All of them are multimillionaires, and most are billionaires. The owners can afford a $50 Million payroll, because of how rich they are, but they wouldn't because it would not be a smart investment.

My name is in honor of the great Bubba Crosby, not Sidney Crosby. The Yankees are NY's team, and since Crosby is their biggest star, it is in his honor, not Sidney's.

Seriously, I already asked yesterday, but they said I have to wait until after the draft because of the server.

bit82

Jul 12, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Hopefully Crosby can keep up the "best player in the NHL is in Pittsburgh" thing. Since the late 80's Mario was the best player. After he retired, Jagr was the best player, and when Mario came back, he took over as the best player in the league and still is. The Penguins have had the best player in the nhl every year for well over 15 years now. Hopefully after MArio retires, Crosby will be the best in the league to keep up having the best player in the league wearing a Pens jersey.

Spooner

Feb 26, 2004
Oh, here and there
Healthy Lemieux + Recchi + Fleury (maybe) + Crosby + HEAVILY reduced ticket prices = packed house every night = new arena...

I don't think I can understate how important this is for the Pens. It may very well save the franchise. I half expect Crosby to get to Mellon Arena by walking across the Three Rivers.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Spooner said:
Healthy Lemieux + Recchi + Fleury (maybe) + Crosby + HEAVILY reduced ticket prices = packed house every night = new arena...

I don't think I can understate how important this is for the Pens. It may very well save the franchise. I half expect Crosby to get to Mellon Arena by walking across the Three Rivers.

Do you think you might be expecting just a wee bit too much from the guy? I expect he'll be great and all, but he's 18, and a rookie. Odds are he won't be leading the league in scoring.

Spooner

Feb 26, 2004
Oh, here and there
I'm not talking so much from a performance standpoint as I am from an interest standpoint. From what I hear, the season ticket phonelines EXPLODED yesterday. This immediate generation of interest could be the final kick in the ass that gets the Pens a new arena, and finally puts to rest all the nonsense about moving.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
bit82 said:
Hopefully Crosby can keep up the "best player in the NHL is in Pittsburgh" thing. Since the late 80's Mario was the best player. After he retired, Jagr was the best player, and when Mario came back, he took over as the best player in the league and still is. The Penguins have had the best player in the nhl every year for well over 15 years now. Hopefully after MArio retires, Crosby will be the best in the league to keep up having the best player in the league wearing a Pens jersey.

Yeah, but isn't it a little sad that even in spite of that, the franchise has been in serious trouble? A team shouldn't have to have the best player in the league on its roster to stay afloat.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
mmbt said:
Yeah, but isn't it a little sad that even in spite of that, the franchise has been in serious trouble? A team shouldn't have to have the best player in the league on its roster to stay afloat.

Sad or not, that's been the history of the Penguins since 1984.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Spooner said:
Just like Lemieux saved the franchise?

PENSFAN4LIFE

Jul 24, 2005
HERE WE GO PENS!!!!

been a pittsburgher my whole life, and a HUGE fan of all of its teams.

with the signing of crosby, existence of young talent, and rumors of the possible Kariya and Kovalev coming to Pitt., the penguins finally see light since they lost to the devils just years ago...

PENS IN '06!!!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
mmbt said:

Maybe you should ask Howard Baldwin that question.

Or perhaps you could ask him why he sold his soul to SMG and gave them control of the Civic/Mellon Arena in exchange for $24m to help him finance his purchase of the Pens.

For years the Pens never received a dime from parking or concessions, until 1997 when SMG renegotiated the contract and gave the Pens a whopping 50%.

While you are at it, ask Baldwin why he took $50m to restore Mellon Arena from the city/state, instead of joining the "Plan B" initiative with the Steelers and Pirates.

Hint: Its because he didn't want to pay out of his own pocket to get an arena built, so he took the easy money.

Don't make posts out of ignorance, learn the facts first.

The Pens got into their situation because of one man's greed.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
The Pens got into their situation because of one man's greed.

None of which changes the basic premise that it shouldn't come down to the best player in the league to, "save the franchise," constantly.

They're hardly the first franchise to suffer because of bad ownership, but other teams with bad owners haven't always been lucky enough to have even one talent of that caliber, nevermind three. They're not the only team out there who haven't had control of their own arena. They're not the only team with an owner who didn't want to pay for a new arena themselves.

Count yourselves lucky ... a lot of teams in not as bad of shape as the Penguins ended up moving altogether. At least you folks still have your team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
mmbt said:
None of which changes the basic premise that it shouldn't come down to the best player in the league to, "save the franchise," constantly.

They're hardly the first franchise to suffer because of bad ownership, but other teams with bad owners haven't always been lucky enough to have even one talent of that caliber, nevermind three. They're not the only team out there who haven't had control of their own arena. They're not the only team with an owner who didn't want to pay for a new arena themselves.

Count yourselves lucky ... a lot of teams in not as bad of shape as the Penguins ended up moving altogether. At least you folks still have your team.

Well the league didn't come rescue the Pens like they did Buf and Ott.

You can say or think whatever you like, but it still doesn't change the fact the Pens would of had a new arena if they didn't have a greedy owner like Baldwin.

He is why they have the oldest arena in the league, with the worst lease.

The slot control board only cares about the best economic development plan put forth by all those looking to buy the license.

Do you really think they are going to award it to the Pens because they have Crosby?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
b-mad said:
Uh, vlad, u do realize that the league now has a minimum payroll now to go with a cap to keep teams from totally unloading don't you?

It could be tougher to unload, but still very possible. The salary cap, unless I am mistaken, is for total expenses for the year. You will still see many teams give up around the deadline, because the salary at the deadline is reduced. In fact, I think we could see more of that in the future.

Also, they've shrunked the gap in salaries at both ends. Superstars make less, AHL hacks will make more.

b-mad said:
And as for you harping on teams "tanking" I know you're referring alot to what WAS did....well given that they were in near last place with about a $50 mill payroll and knowing the CBA was expiring and the owners were dead set on a reasonable cap (which they apparently were) they'd look pretty damn stupid right now having finished at best the 9-10th worst team in the league and now having to buyout contracts ala philly did today with LeClair and Amonte and a very bleak future wouldn't they? Now they have a bright future and plenty of cap space to build a decent team.

I realize some of that (although I disagree the Flyers have a bleak future). It's still a problem because as the years go by, we're seeing more organizations letting up and it's detrimental to the show on ice, IMO.

b-mad said:
I really used to have alotta respect for your opinions but after your rambling on this thread (and a couple others) I really lost alot of it.

If the fact I am worried that the current NHL environment offers too much incentive to let up was enough for me to lose your respect, so be it.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
turnbuckle said:
What a surprise. A huge day for the Pittsburgh franchise (congratulations), and what should have been a classy thread offering congratulations gets hijacked by Vlad and his own personal agenda.

Yeah, my personal agenda for a competitive league.

It sure beats your personal agenda of following me around and stirring crap.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Also, they've shrunked the gap in salaries at both ends. Superstars make less, AHL hacks will make more.

I disagree with this statement. Yes, they have increased the league minimum, but in actuality, very few players made below $500,000 before. With the increased pressure to keep payroll down, you'll now see many more players making below that level. That's why the players were keen on throwing that in there, otherwise, you'd see many players getting offers i the 200-300K range.

In the new NHL, if you're a dime-a-dozen type player, you're not going to be making much more than league minimum.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
mmbt said:

I think it has more to do with the fact that the Penguins were icing competitive teams, and not necessarily the best player in the league. It just so happened that, from 1989-2001, when they were competitive, they also happened to have the league's best player.

Besides, it was not a lack of ticket sales that bankrupted the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad