GDT: Penguins vs. Flyers Part II - Need a big third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You know what the irony is?

After bouncing Boudreau, the Caps went into a tailspin, and BB went on to coach the team with the 2nd best record in the league. Weird eh?

Before Boudreau, the Capitals were a terrible team.

The year before Bylsma, the Pens made it to game 6 of the finals.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I think Bennett is decent but it's time to send him back down to the AHL for the rest of the season. He's clearly not the answer, let's not keep him up here and kill his confidence.

How do you know he's not the answer? He's buried on the third line.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You'd think... it's surreal the way these games play out.

At one point, the refs decide there's no need to whistle plays dead while Vokoun is covering the puck; that happened at least twice. At another, they stop calling penalties during a Pens PP. And that's just two examples. It was back and forth weirdness. And of course the token awful goals regardless of who either team has in net.

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009
I get to go to work tomorrow 10 minutes outside of Philly where a bunch of Flyers fans will chirp me for the next 4 days.... Meanwhile I never say a word when the Pens win. Pretty frustrating.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
*internet high five*

If its any consolation I don't hate Pens fans and I like your board better then the Flyers one. Big fan of ColePens is his name IIRC.

You're the only Philly fan I don't hate, all the others are...thick-headed dicks...to put it nicely

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know what the irony is?

After bouncing Boudreau, the Caps went into a tailspin, and BB went on to coach the team with the 2nd best record in the league. Weird eh?

And your point is what, that the Pens might go into a tailspin, barely make the playoffs, and get bounced in the first round? Compared to what? ;)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We have gone as far as we're going to go with this group. I really hope Ray Ray starts the revamping this April, and then finishes the job this summer. It's time for change. Let the UFA's go. All of them. Make smart trades. Don't sell the farm, whatever you do. Because tonight was just the same ol', same ol'. Disturbingly familiar, really.

Tonight, Vokoun looked exactly like Fleury. The lack of discipline was identical to last spring. The shoddy defense was exactly like last spring. Orpik and Martin were exactly like last spring. It's frightening how everything was the same.

We need a new coach. Hopefully, by next September, we'll have one.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
stop with the "all of their calls" garbage. your team got away with stupid **** and you know it. you have the luckiest group of thugs in the league to call your "team".

You didn't even quote me correctly. They were PENALTY CALLS. I never disputed that. They were legit calls and the penguins didn't capitalize with the Flyers three best penalty killers in the league. You have the right to be mad, but it shouldn't be towards me.

anyway, try to have a nice day i guess.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I'm telling you . . . Bylsma = Tomlin. Good guy. Players like him. Media loves the cliches. But, he thinks the only place for X's and O's are a kids board and with each moment that passes between his and the previous regime, the structure and discipline slips further and further away.

That's been gone ever since he took over fulltime in 2009-2010. Bylsma is either too stubborn with ego being a factor or too stupid to see that he has to change that "Penguin Way" he talks about which obviously isn't working. My vote is for ego + stubborness.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Shero is very patient but sometimes a GM will see something like this, remember seeing the same things doom them in the past and will make a roster shakeup. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade sooner than later.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
"I like our team"

Then after we lose 4 straight to Flyers in round 1, losing all games 10-0, giving them 10 powerplays everygame, Bylsma says:

"We didn't get to our game"

Shero: "I'm Pissed! major things are happening!"

Then nothing happens, then the same thing happens the next playoffs.:sarcasm:

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Count me in for being on board bringing in some veteran gritty leadership. I could really go for a Gary Roberts. I think that's what this team is missing. Preferably someone with grit and skill..

Malone?
Iginla?

What's our options.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
At one point, the refs decide there's no need to whistle plays dead while Vokoun is covering the puck; that happened at least twice. At another, they stop calling penalties during a Pens PP. And that's just two examples. It was back and forth weirdness. And of course the token awful goals regardless of who either team has in net.

Agreed.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yep. And that's to be determined.

Unless some excuse presents itself, or no more excuses? Just want to know if the standard is the standard or if the standard is the standard except when there's an excuse for not meeting the standard. :D

Bar Down

Bar Mexico
Jan 28, 2013
Beneath PPG Paints
Did the Penguins lose tonight? Of course. Were they the better team? I definitely think so.

1. Vokoun had a really off night.

2. Penguins had 10+ great scoring chances with under 10 minutes left.

3. Pens have learned how to run the power play smoothly. Didn't score on several PPs, but execution was there. Hats off to Ilya.

4. 2 goals called back. Although the Kunitz goal was obviously a kick-in, the Malkin 1st attempt could be debated (although I agree with the call, could have gone either way).

5. Penalty calls. I hate to do this, and usually rip people who do, but come on. Adams' phantom elbow, the refs refusing to call Rinaldo for charging like 5 times, Coutorier repeatedly cross checking Malkin in the ribs/back, Neal getting high sticked. That's just off the top of my head. Seems a little sketchy to me.

And still, with ALL of that, the Penguins almost won this game. They learned how to play the Flyers this offseason, especially on the power play.

If the Penguins meet the Flyers in the playoffs, I'm confident they will win in 6 games or less.

Tough game, great effort, gigantic improvement.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
1. Malkin's and Neal's 5 on 3 touches came when Talbot's stick was shattered. I invite you to watch ALL of the 5 on 3 time again.

I remember it just fine. And I don't have PVR, so I couldn't even if I wanted to, haha.

2. Sorry, you may think Geno hitting 21 minutes because of 1/3 being PP time is fine. Me, I looked at the ES ice time through 2 periods, before all those PP's. When the order for forwards in ES ice time is Crosby, Dupuis, Kunitz, Malkin, Neal and Dupuis is a minute more than Malkin, something is ****** up.

I have no idea why you have decided to make ES icetime the benchmark. It doesn't make sense to me.

Malkin's line isn't terribly effective at ES right now, as everyone acknowledges...so we consistently give Malkin more PP time than anyone, including an absurd amount tonight. If you ask me, that's a case of - as you so often mention - putting a player in the best position to succeed.

Now, I appreciate that you refuse to see ANYTHING Byslma does as being wrong, but if you think his bench management had absolutely nothing to do with lessening, even slightly (which IS the point I made and emphasized), the Pens chances to win, then let's just agree to disagree. You can blame the goaltenders. I'll see comprehensive problems. And, we'll call it a day. O'k?

KIRK, in the post you just responded to, I went out of my way to criticize the PK vs. Philly, and put the blame squarely on DB.

I can find fault with Bylsma. I just don't blame everything on him.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Count me in for being on board bringing in some veteran gritty leadership. I could really go for a Gary Roberts. I think that's what this team is missing. Preferably someone with grit and skill..

Malone?
Iginla?

What's our options.

I've literally been saying this for the last two weeks...and I got laughed at...but yeah those are the basically only two that fit the bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad