GDT: Penguins vs. Flyers Part II - Need a big third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Count me in for being on board bringing in some veteran gritty leadership. I could really go for a Gary Roberts. I think that's what this team is missing. Preferably someone with grit and skill..

Malone?
Iginla?

What's our options.

Clutterbuck, McGinn, Malone, Iginla. More chaos for the Flyers games!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This season, but every season since Bylsma's first hasn't given us much to be hopeful of.

You have to at least admit it's a bit concerning that the same problems continue to pop up in playoff style games.

I'm not sure that he would, but perhaps I've been misunderstanding that part.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Shero is very patient but sometimes a GM will see something like this, remember seeing the same things doom them in the past and will make a roster shakeup. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade sooner than later.

Well somebody here said he's at the Blues-Avs game. I have no idea if that's true or not, but if it is that's the 2nd game he's been spotted at in a very short timescale. He's definitely out there shopping around.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
He clearly kicked Bryz's stick.

Edit: But I want to say Kunitz is the last guy I want in front of the net. What 6/7 goals called off and the face-off outside because of it?

That isn't video reviewable. He had to kick the puck in to have it overturned.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Byslma, orpik and Neal all saying they cant get dragged into the post whistle stuff.. Why is it so hard to just skate away

Likely because they know they're just going to get molested by anything wearing orange all night long, and never get a call for it.

I'm not sure how you counter that (we assume that if they "just skate away" that the Flyers will get a penalty, but I think we've seen by now that they obviously won't), but they're going to have to find a way.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We have gone as far as we're going to go with this group. I really hope Ray Ray starts the revamping this April, and then finishes the job this summer. It's time for change. Let the UFA's go. All of them. Make smart trades. Don't sell the farm, whatever you do. Because tonight was just the same ol', same ol'. Disturbingly familiar, really.

Tonight, Vokoun looked exactly like Fleury. The lack of discipline was identical to last spring. The shoddy defense was exactly like last spring. Orpik and Martin were exactly like last spring. It's frightening how everything was the same.

We need a new coach. Hopefully, by next September, we'll have one.

But is it really surprising? All of the ingredients are the same. Why would one expect the result to be that much different?

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
A huge combination of **** happened tonight that cost us the game ... Bottom line. It wasn't Blysma, Vokoun, or anyONE else.

And maybe if Malkin could get a damn teenager out of his ****ing head and Neal could stop sucking at ES, they would have had higher minutes than Dupuis and Kunitz.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Byslma, orpik and Neal all saying they cant get dragged into the post whistle stuff.. Why is it so hard to just skate away

Orpik needs to shut his yap after these big losses and stop with the "vocal leader soundbites". Try playing in position when the other team is swarming around the net first, then lecture. Neal isn't one to lecture either. He's taken plenty of stupid penalties the last two weeks, including tonight.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Pens/Flyers games tend to almost always get a National TV slot, and the refs don't want to be seen as trying to manipulate the outcome, so they're usually going to let whatever BS Philadelphia starts go.

Pittsburgh has no idea how to adjust.

As always, Dan Bylsma has NO FREAKING IDEA how to adjust. It's always go back to the same shallow well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Unless some excuse presents itself, or no more excuses? Just want to know if the standard is the standard or if the standard is the standard except when there's an excuse for not meeting the standard. :D

I live in Manitoba and literally could not care less about football, so the Steelers comparisons really don't do much for me. :laugh:

And your point is what, that the Pens might go into a tailspin, barely make the playoffs, and get bounced in the first round? Compared to what? ;)

It could always be worse. Much worse. :)

Before Boudreau, the Capitals were a terrible team.

The year before Bylsma, the Pens made it to game 6 of the finals.

What happened the year Bylsma took over?

Oh right, that was all luck.

This season, but every season since Bylsma's first hasn't given us much to be hopeful of.

You have to at least admit it's a bit concerning that the same problems continue to pop up in playoff style games.

To be honest, I think some people qualify virtually any game we lose as "playoff style".

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
In addition to everything I said I feel like they would've blown play dead on that one goal nine times out of ten. The one where it looked like Vokoun had it covered for a bit. There's also the inconclusive goal in Bryz's glove near the beginning everyone forgot about. Just really feel like Philly really only has negatives to take away here and the Pens don't really aside from maybe Vokoun. I'd say this on my own board but I know some over there wouldn't take this post well lol.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
But is it really surprising? All of the ingredients are the same. Why would one expect the result to be that much different?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert Einstein

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I understand last April has left a bad taste, but tonight's game was more of a fluke than anything. The fact that the score was 6-5 and goals were similar makes people think we are in the same boat, but that's not really the case. We did beat em 3-1 beginning of the season. Defense wasn't horrible. Flyers weren't flying all over the place..controlling the puck. We were fine most of the game. Took a few bad penalties, and goalie was horrible..few unlucky bounces. That's what was similar . But our play was not nearly as bad as people are making it seem.

Flyers did not really look dangerous in this game. They did last year in the playoffs. Crazy thing to say after they put up 6 goals, but that's how crazy these games have been

moose tracks

Nov 22, 2011
I'd like to know why in the bull ****** hell DB chose to play Vokoun tonight over the next game against the worst ****** team in the conference!?!?!

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
How do you improve team discipline? Bench Beau Bennett in the third period, of course! That'll learn him.

Meh. I wouldn't be surprised if he was benched to protect him. Things were getting ugly and he's one of the less physically strong guys out there (and somewhat injury prone this year). Last thing we want is someone from the Flyers taking him out with a cheap shot. I'm fine with it in this context. Protecting the investment.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
God I want Gary Roberts back. Every time a game would get like this he would either kick ass or do something great. Loved that player. We need to do what we did in 09 and 08. Get some serviceable Vets.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I remember it just fine. And I don't have PVR, so I couldn't even if I wanted to, haha.

I have no idea why you have decided to make ES icetime the benchmark. It doesn't make sense to me.

Malkin's line isn't terribly effective at ES right now, as everyone acknowledges...so we consistently give Malkin more PP time than anyone, including an absurd amount tonight. If you ask me, that's a case of - as you so often mention - putting a player in the best position to succeed.

KIRK, in the post you just responded to, I went out of my way to criticize the PK vs. Philly, and put the blame squarely on DB.

I can find fault with Bylsma. I just don't blame everything on him.

1. My comment about Malkin's ES ice time included the proviso that he played the first period like a guy with his head out of his ***. I looked to see after the second where Bennett's ice time was, and I saw Dupuis with a full minute more of ES ice time than Malkin. Sorry, but that's a joke given how Malkin looked in the first. And, I'll tell you what: If you don't think that's a joke, then the Pens have no business resigning Malkin, because there's no point to paying a guy 8.7M a year who your coaches see in a game where he looks good in the first as being less valuable than Dupuis.

2. While I will grant you the 'touche' on the PK, your suggestion that I blamed 'everything' or even the majority of the reason for tonight's loss is overboard. At the same time-- and you know this-- I've always believed that a good coach does everything in his power, including as a bench boss, to put his players in the best possible position to win and from there it's on the players. Vokoun ******* the bed doesn't absolve Bylsma from doing his Tomlin impression again, at least not in my mind. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad