GDT: Penguins visit the Canes - 7PM

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
That might very well be the case (this board has basically become a chronic depression support group) but that's probably not related to some preseason results.

I've closely followed many seasons of pro sports across several different sports on various continents and the only universally truth that applies for all the sports and all the leagues in all the countries is that preseason results are completely irrelevant, no matter if they're positive or negative. And that's especially true for North American sports with their training camp concept and huge rosters. So I really wouldn't lose sleep over that.

It's hockey... I cheer for the pens and enjoy watching them, but don't scream the world is ending whenever they have a bad game, especially in the preseason.

If you guys cannot understand that it's not the score that's the problem, and it's the play and make up of our laughably bad defense that's worrisome, I don't know what to tell ya.

This absolutely will carry over to the regular season, and short of miraculous seasons by Sid, Kessel, Geno and Fleury, will likely have us barely making the playoffs and getting booted in the first round.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Scuderi, offensive zone draw after an icing.

If anyone had told me that Michel Therrien would be the best bench boss Sid played for in the NHL, I'd have told him he was on drugs. Alas, I'd have been wrong for doing so.

Jesus what a sad reality that statement suggests :(

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If you guys cannot understand that it's not the score that's the problem, and it's the play and make up of our laughably bad defense that's worrisome, I don't know what to tell ya.

This absolutely will carry over to the regular season, and short of miraculous seasons by Sid, Kessel, Geno and Fleury, will likely have us barely making the playoffs and getting booted in the first round.

Jesus what a sad reality that statement suggests :(

Yep. And, it's not just sad that I can write that and argue it. It's that you can't argue against it. Michel Therrien was the Penguins best bench boss of the Sid era to date. I want to throw up.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ironic that the guy who supposedly provides grit and hard work in the dirty areas for the 1st line is actually worse along the boards than the supposedly lazy finesse wing playing opposite him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Ironic that the guy who supposedly provides grit and hard work in the dirty areas for the 1st line is actually worse along the boards than the supposedly lazy finesse wing playing opposite him.

It's that dag-gummit foot, and his iron-deficiency.

Just you watch. He'll be a force to be reckoned with 4 years ago.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014

Of course, that's always the case, every year, every sports, every league. Just like every coach is the worst coach ever, the referees get worse every year, etc. etc. The universal truths of sports fandom.

I'm not thrilled by the composition of our defense but I'm generally someone that's willing to wait and see. Maybe it's also that my expectations aren't exactly high since I see this as a transition year for us, I don't know. I'm simply not getting all worked up about this yet, that's all I'm saying.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Kunitz has been fine tonight.

I'm impressed with Kessel along the wall though. Wins a fair amount of battles.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Phil has two feet and iron, of course he is.

Kessel also doesn't have the legs of an 80 year old and the entitlement of a trust fund baby.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Bit of a boring game. Sprong created some chances late in the game when we needed them.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Of course, that's always the case, every year, every sports, every league. Just like every coach is the worst coach ever, the referees get worse every year, etc. etc. The universal truths of sports fandom.

I'm not thrilled by the composition of our defense but I'm generally someone that's willing to wait and see. Maybe it's also that my expectations aren't exactly high since I see this as a transition year for us, I don't know. I'm simply not getting all worked up about this yet, that's all I'm saying.

By all means, wait and see. It'll play out exactly as I said.

And no, I'm not happy about it or looking forward to it, but it is what it is. We have one legit pairing, comprised of two guys with huge question marks regarding their health, and then a heap of bottom pairing guys. Some better than others, ranging from alright (Cole) to absolutely laughable by beer league standards (Gonchar, Scuderi, Lovejoy, and right now Pouliot).

I'm not worked up. I'm just prepared for the worst, despite the fact that this team's forward depth is as good and deep as it's been in 20 years, and will likely ever be while Sid and Geno are around.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
lol pens still can't score probably cos their best lw is playing on the 4th line wtf i h8 mike johnston and frick tocchet ugh

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm just not seeing Plotnikov's skating issues at all. His speed looks completely fine for a guy his size.

Concur. He's going to be a definite asset for this team, although a smart coach would recognize that it's not on L2 every night. The problem-- and its not his fault-- is that there will be some nights where he's redundant and his line needs a little skill because of a particular match up.

EDIT: Kunitz, not Horny, out for the empty net?

TOI tonight . . .

Kunitz - 20:59
Malkin - 18:39
Horny - 15:11

Mike Johnston is a ******* buffoon who basically has proven wrong all of us who insisted there's no way any coach could possibly be a more inept bench boss than Dan Bylsma.

EDIT: To the artist formerly known as RRP, let me say I was wrong and you were right. It's not an absolute fact that Bylsma was the bottom of the barrel as far as bench bosses go.

By all means, wait and see. It'll play out exactly as I said.

And no, I'm not happy about it or looking forward to it, but it is what it is. We have one legit pairing, comprised of two guys with huge question marks regarding their health, and then a heap of bottom pairing guys. Some better than others, ranging from alright (Cole) to absolutely laughable by beer league standards (Gonchar, Scuderi, Lovejoy, and right now Pouliot).

I'm not worked up. I'm just prepared for the worst, despite the fact that this team's forward depth is as good and deep as it's been in 20 years, and will likely ever be while Sid and Geno are around.

It doesn't matter how much depth this team has. If the coach doesn't know how to use Malkin properly, if he sees Kunitz as 5 minutes TOI a game better than Horny, and if he absolutely refuses to ride a player like Sprong who is hot on a given night, then this team's success will be in spite of and in no way because of said coach.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's that dag-gummit foot, and his iron-deficiency.

Just you watch. He'll be a force to be reckoned with 4 years ago.

I eagerly await new and exciting excuses for his poor performance all season long. With no change in ice time.

Kunitz has been fine tonight.

I'm impressed with Kessel along the wall though. Wins a fair amount of battles.

114bf62be41bc02d7912daf78dcaa242.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I have to assume there is a plan in place for something. Not sure what it is just yet...but I can't imagine they are THIS blissfully ignorant...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad