Rumor: Penguins trying to reacquire Fleury

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I think it is bizarre how the narrative on MAF has changed ever since he left Pittsburgh. There were a super-abundance of people who trashed him for years and talked up how overrated he was but as soon as he got to Vegas all of a sudden it is as if all that negative sentiment just never existed.

Matt Murray won back to back Stanley Cups as a rookie and was considered the next big thing by many. While in Pittsburgh MAF had the reputation of being overrated and overpaid. I don't get where this revisionist history narrative has come from.

Exactly!!! I wouldn't mind Fleury for half his cap hit but at $7 million I wouldn't want him. Many cheaper cap hit options that could do just as good. Fleury did poorly in many playoff years for the Pens. I like him personally and wished him the best when he left and was happy for him with his success in Vegas. I just think he is up and down when it comes to the most important time of the year in the playoffs. Fleury does well when he is not expected to perform in a underdog situation like Pens vs. Detroit, or Fleury against Caps in 2017 when nobody gave us a chance. Vegas also as a new franchise going to the Finals. Fleury mentally crumbles when his team is the favorite.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Why on earth would Vegas give up Fleury, when they lead their Division and are 6th in the entire league in goal diff (+10) and 5th in goals against (27, #1 at 24)?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think it is bizarre how the narrative on MAF has changed ever since he left Pittsburgh. There were a super-abundance of people who trashed him for years and talked up how overrated he was but as soon as he got to Vegas all of a sudden it is as if all that negative sentiment just never existed.

Matt Murray won back to back Stanley Cups as a rookie and was considered the next big thing by many. While in Pittsburgh MAF had the reputation of being overrated and overpaid. I don't get where this revisionist history narrative has come from.

It took Fleury a long to have consistency, he was viewed as Osgood for a very long portion of his career and was considered overpaid. Then Murray surpassed Fleury which didn't help Fleury's reputation either. IIRC, Fleury was seen as washed up when he was drafted by Vegas but was the best goalie available in the expansion draft.

Fleury then proceeded to have a career year in 2017-18 which coincided with Vegas' miracle run and basically forced a bunch of people change their opinion about Fleury. It definitely is revisionist history to say Murray was overrated, but I think it was more timing than anything that helped Fleury revive his reputation.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
To Pittsburgh: Fleury (with enough retention to make it work)
To Vegas: Bernier (can be retained on if need be?)
To Detroit: Jarry + sweeteners for Fleury retention and maybe Bernier retention

Thoughts?

Just what we need! an .881 goalie on IR! In a straight up trade. Pass.

Reactions: KIRK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Yeah, the narrative for both Murray and Fleury has changed now that we're approaching 5 years out from the Pens' Cup wins. History for how both guys were perceived and played is being re-written.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
The time for this was in the offseason when vegas was having cap issues. That ship is long gone now that he's playing better than lehner

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
The time for this was in the offseason when vegas was having cap issues. That ship is long gone now that he's playing better than lehner
Well this is mostly true. He is playing better but lehner is the longer term solution and Vegas is going to have to make a decision on MAF soon. If they can get a good return now, he will go. If not they will hang on to him for the playoffs.

Reactions: Beauner

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Just what we need! an .881 goalie on IR! In a straight up trade. Pass.

While Bernier is no Fleury, calling him an ".881 goalie" is extremely disingenuous. Listen, I don't blame you for not having watched his play for the Wings because 90%+ of the roster has been a tire fire for the last couple of years, but he has been excellent during his time in Detroit. He is for sure still a 1B/ platoon calibre goalie, obviously not as good of a "back up" as Fleury, but that is because Fleury is still starter quality. And is being paid like one. Hence the proposal to open up some cap space for Vegas. Bernier's contract also expires this season, and can be retained 50%.

Obviously the two aren't a straight swap of equal goaltending ability, but take a second to consider the context. Vegas was scrambling to lose MAF for a minute during the offseason until they got bent over a barrel for Schmidt.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well this is mostly true. He is playing better but lehner is the longer term solution and Vegas is going to have to make a decision on MAF soon. If they can get a good return now, he will go. If not they will hang on to him for the playoffs.
Totally fair point- as early as this coming offseason they may need to make a decision. Similar to Murray and MAF that's a lot of money to spend on 2 goalies.

I guess my main point was that , at this particular moment, I doubt they'll trade him

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
It took Fleury a long to have consistency, he was viewed as Osgood for a very long portion of his career and was considered overpaid. Then Murray surpassed Fleury which didn't help Fleury's reputation either. IIRC, Fleury was seen as washed up when he was drafted by Vegas but was the best goalie available in the expansion draft.

Fleury then proceeded to have a career year in 2017-18 which coincided with Vegas' miracle run and basically forced a bunch of people change their opinion about Fleury. It definitely is revisionist history to say Murray was overrated, but I think it was more timing than anything that helped Fleury revive his reputation.

I always liked Fleury but before Murray showed up most people, who are not yinzer homers, expected the Pens to move on him from being the #1 and have Jarry develop into taking his place. Murray literally came out of nowhere to have that miraculous Cup run in 2016. MAF definitely bailed the Pens out in 2017 in an arguably more miraculous way by Halaking the Caps in round 2 only to completely fall off afterwards in that Cup run.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I always liked Fleury but before Murray showed up most people, who are not yinzer homers, expected the Pens to move on him from being the #1 and have Jarry develop into taking his place. Murray literally came out of nowhere to have that miraculous Cup run in 2016. MAF definitely bailed the Pens out in 2017 in an arguably more miraculous way by Halaking the Caps in round 2 only to completely fall off afterwards in that Cup run.

If by “literally came out of nowhere” you mean Murray had an outstanding junior career and a historic AHL stint, then yeah, he came out of nowhere.

Jarry probably had more hype when he was picked because they traded up for him and he was their 1st pick in the 2013 draft while Murray was picked in 2012 overshadowed by a blockbuster trade and 2 1st round picks. In reality, Jarry was never ahead of Murray on the prospect depth chart. By the time Neal concussed MAF right before playoffs leading to Murray’s ascension, he was considered the best goalie prospect in the league by quite a few people.

Last edited:
Reactions: heysmilinstrange

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Would hate it, if anything can light a fire under their dead asses it's getting Fleury back. Follow it up with exchange Sullivan for Gallant and that's a cup favorite

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
By no means am I saying there is a morale problem for the Penguins, but I think this would help give a boost to Crosby, Malkin and the rest of the gang.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Totally fair point- as early as this coming offseason they may need to make a decision. Similar to Murray and MAF that's a lot of money to spend on 2 goalies.

I guess my main point was that , at this particular moment, I doubt they'll trade him
I agree , he been their best goalie. Would take a good return

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

TIL putting up the best season in AHL history is coming out of nowhere

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To be fair, they never should have given Jarry the undisputed role in the first place. They should have brought in a veteran to platoon with him and take over his role if he struggled. Not go with 2021's version of Jeff Zatkoff.

He was godly for like 2 months last year, but has been extremely meh to bad outside of that in his time in the NHL. I think he's more suited as a 1B guy right now.

Feels like post cup run Rutherford really messed up in a few key areas and one was the succession planning of Fleury to Murray and then bailing on Murray with a pretty flimsy plan in net and not a lot of runway left for Crosby Malkin Letang contending years. Seemed inexplicable that the Penguins cut salary in a number of areas and then overpaid for some of their summer additions. Lot of button mashing style management.

But getting Fleury back would definitely feel right.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Cap space reality is a be-atch.
PIT has low 5 figs = 150K ish
LV has like 20% of that.

Deal is dif to pull off.
Something like this could get the ball rolling...

MAF = 7m retained max = 3.5 x 2;
Georgiev = 2.425.
Geo to LV gives them just under 1.1 in cap savings while having adequate depth for cup run.

That is still 3.5 dead weight but it solves the current objective.

MAF back to Pens at 3.5

Futures to NY.
If it can be agreed what mid picks NY would add to Geo, that could include Glass and his elc to NY.

Vegas saving 1.1 [almost] + Glass elc + helps take partial cap from Pens

PIT gets MAF and pays LV and NY

somethin like dat...

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Feels like post cup run Rutherford really messed up in a few key areas and one was the succession planning of Fleury to Murray and then bailing on Murray with a pretty flimsy plan in net and not a lot of runway left for Crosby Malkin Letang contending years. Seemed inexplicable that the Penguins cut salary in a number of areas and then overpaid for some of their summer additions. Lot of button mashing style management.

But getting Fleury back would definitely feel right.

Huh? We couldn't afford to keep MAF due to the cap unless you wanted to trade Letang at the time. Why can't Penguin fans get this through their collective heads?

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
If by “literally came out of nowhere” you mean Murray had an outstanding junior career and a historic AHL stint, then yeah, he came out of nowhere.

Jarry probably had more hype when he was picked because they traded up for him and he was their 1st pick in the 2013 draft while Murray was picked in 2012 overshadowed by a blockbuster trade and 2 1st round picks. In reality, Jarry was never ahead of Murray on the prospect depth chart. By the time Neal concussed MAF right before playoffs leading to Murray’s ascension, he was considered the best goalie prospect in the league by quite a few people.

TIL putting up the best season in AHL history is coming out of nowhere

I think we're getting way off base here considering the fact that I was attempting to address the "Penguins shoulda kept Fleury" crowd. I was talking in context about how MAF had been considered as being overrated, overpaid, and obviously replaced by back to back Stanley Cup winning starter, rookie Matt Murray.

If we want to talk about the expectations of Matt Murray, with little NHL experience, being dropped into a playoff circumstance and leading the team to a Cup victory ("came outta nowhere") perhaps we should take it elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad