Rumor: Penguins trying to reacquire Fleury

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Fleury is not only the runaway favorite for the Vezona Trophy, but also probably the Hart. Vegas would never trade him.

Not now but in the offseason teams could have had him at 3.5 for free, or even with a second rounder thrown in.

This is an example of if you think a player can help your team, you get him and don't try to make the other team "pay" like so many suggested.

"Why would you help them out?" You're not, you're helping you out.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
You cannot argue against Fleury’s playoff performances from 2010-2014, and not all of those playoff failures should be heaped solely onto his shoulders either. That being said, he definitely started to turn his game around his last couple of seasons in Pittsburgh and he was an intricate part of those b2b Cups. Murray was never the same after Fleury was sent out West and with the exception of last season, he has been pretty solid for the VGK. And it appears that the Penguins could really use a pretty solid goalie this season and moving forward.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Why though?

Get Fleury so you can get into the playoffs? He'll stink it up once you get there.

And you'll lose out on good draft picks, and you'll be stuck with his bad contract f***ing your whole cap up.

You'll make the playoffs without obtaining a playoff choker on an albatross deal, why go there?

Reactions: heysmilinstrange

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
McCann and DeSmith for Georgiev and another forward? McCann can slide into a center spot for the Rangers and it appears that is their biggest need going forward.
McCann & DeSmith for Georgiev straight up?

I'm not a fan of DeSmith at all but he's aight and cheap and we need someone replacing Georgiev.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
As a Blues fan in the same division as VGK, I would LOVE for them to deal Fleury to PIT. I'll take playing in the playoffs against Lehner over Fleury any day.

Whatever Fleury does to people to make them forget that he consistently chokes under pressure, a career tendency that goes back to the f***ing World Juniors, I wish I had it.

Reactions: Callieflower

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Still if Pens want him bad enuf and need to send Geo to LV to make it happen and NY gets its end, fine by me.

giphy.gif

Not trying to be snarky, genuinely dont understand. Are you implying Malkin to Las Vegas as part of a package for MAF?

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
giphy.gif

Not trying to be snarky, genuinely dont understand. Are you implying Malkin to Las Vegas as part of a package for MAF?

reposting what I said I think post 146:

Cap space reality is a be-atch.
PIT has low 5 figs = 150K ish
LV has like 20% of that.

Deal is dif to pull off.
Something like this could get the ball rolling...

MAF = 7m retained max = 3.5 x 2;
Georgiev = 2.425.
Geo to LV gives them just under 1.1 in cap savings while having adequate depth for cup run.

That is still 3.5 dead weight but it solves the current objective.

MAF back to Pens at 3.5

Futures to NY.
If it can be agreed what mid picks NY would add to Geo, that could include Glass and his elc to NY.

Vegas saving 1.1 [almost] + Glass elc + helps take partial cap from Pens

PIT gets MAF and pays LV and NY

somethin like dat...

--------------
I never said anything about Geno.

=========
interesting vid

Reactions: Extra Texture

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
LOL! Man that's embarrassing. I hope they don't. They already ran him out of town. The Penguins should suffer the consequences of shipping out Fleury, then shipping the guy they originally shipped out Fleury because of. They made their bed thinking they were the smartest people in the room going forward with Jarry and DeSmith. Let them lay in it.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
LOL! Man that's embarrassing. I hope they don't. They already ran him out of town. The Penguins should suffer the consequences of shipping out Fleury, then shipping the guy they originally shipped out Fleury because of. They made their bed thinking they were the smartest people in the room going forward with Jarry and DeSmith. Let them lay in it.

Management has now changed and JR is gone.
anwyays I don't see Flower coming back regardless

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Why would Vegas want to move him at this point? He is having a better year than Lehner so far and I am not sure Vegas is in 1st in their division without him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
thank+gif.gif

The whitewashing of MAF's record with the Pens is totally maddening. I remember the guy getting deservedly replaced by a 36 years old Tomas Vokoun, who immediately provided stable goaltending and helped backstop the team to the ECF. For the record, Vokoun GAA was 1.5 lower that postseason, and his save% of .933 was a gigantic improvement over MAF's .883

Is MAF a nice guy? Yes. Did he have some good memories with the Pens? Yes. Was he some kind of hero? f*** no. The Pens won because someone more composed was there to take the reigns when he lost it. I get that he has some kind of magical power over some yinzers, but this should never be forgotten.

Boy oh boy, you are as spot-on as a person can be.

People need to rewatch 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2014 to understand frustrations. His 1 game in 2016 was a loss where he wasn't great either. It honestly wasn't until 2017 did his potential shine again after 2008 and 2009. There were A LOT of frustrating years with MAF in Pittsburgh. Glad he's doing well now though but it doesn't erase the past.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Good point.

Do you think Fleury would? If it a matter of him not wanting to our you think it just won't happen?

I think he would yes, I think Fleury just wants to play. I don't think he holds a grudge to be honest, he still played and played really well at key moments helping us in those b2b Cups. He won game 7 in Washington by himself!!

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Management has now changed and JR is gone.
anwyays I don't see Flower coming back regardless

Pittsburgh fans are ridiculous if they think this is going to happen. For every dollar Pittsburgh brings in, they have to ship out. I'd do a Letang for MAF deal without question, but why would Vegas? Letang would be the most expensive third pair Dman.

So, other option is Jarry and Rust for MAF and his one more year after this year before he can be a FA. Why should Pittsburgh do that?

This year is what it is. We have no cap room; no real assets to deal absent Poulin and Legare which its pretty comical to even consider dealing ... no picks to speak of because our idiot former GM ... and two of our core members who make a combined 16 and change million have sucked. This ain't happening. Logic says so. Vegas can't afford to retain money since its in worse cap shape than Pittsburgh.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's not like he's been playing out of his mind this year, most of his saves have been of the routine variety but he's been incredibly solid.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
reposting what I said I think post 146:

Cap space reality is a be-atch.
PIT has low 5 figs = 150K ish
LV has like 20% of that.

Deal is dif to pull off.
Something like this could get the ball rolling...

MAF = 7m retained max = 3.5 x 2;
Georgiev = 2.425.
Geo to LV gives them just under 1.1 in cap savings while having adequate depth for cup run.

That is still 3.5 dead weight but it solves the current objective.

MAF back to Pens at 3.5

Futures to NY.
If it can be agreed what mid picks NY would add to Geo, that could include Glass and his elc to NY.

Vegas saving 1.1 [almost] + Glass elc + helps take partial cap from Pens

PIT gets MAF and pays LV and NY

somethin like dat...

--------------
I never said anything about Geno.

=========
interesting vid

you think Vegas in gonna trade recent #6 overall pick Cody Glass- who is playing terrific so far btw- for a backup goalie with 1 mil cap savings?

I mean, yeah. I guess if you do drugs you can make it happen. On Mars.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Fleury was one of the worst playoff goalies in the league when the Penguins were in what should have been their peak contending years. Without Matt Murray, Fleury only has one Cup, earned 12 years ago. He is an average to above-average, steady regular-season goalie who has compiled many wins over a lengthy career, but the revisionist history about his goaltending ability is baffling.

thank+gif.gif

The whitewashing of MAF's record with the Pens is totally maddening. I remember the guy getting deservedly replaced by a 36 years old Tomas Vokoun, who immediately provided stable goal tending and helped backstop the team to the ECF. For the record, Vokoun GAA was 1.5 lower that postseason, and his save% of .933 was a gigantic improvement over MAF's .883

Is MAF a nice guy? Yes. Did he have some good memories with the Pens? Yes. Was he some kind of hero? f*** no. The Pens won because someone more composed was there to take the reigns when he lost it. I get that he has some kind of magical power over some yinzers, but this should never be forgotten.

First off: Noting all goalies have bad play to a certain degree.

Second: It's not just a particular goalie either. Especially when talking about the Pens who were notoriously bad defensively for a lot of years. Much like early this year.

Third: It's easy to skip over how bad, easy it was to throw the Pens off just playing them rough and in their face, and they'd lose their minds, could not keep their composure. Players readily admitted to it, (Dupuis) even after Fleury was replaced by Vokoun. Their next opponent was a powder puff Ottawa team, so they looked powerful...(smoke an mirrors) where once they met up with a real good team, the smoke cleared and they were right back where they were before with Vokoun in net. So much they thought putting Fleury back in was going to change the fact the real problem was actually the ones in front of them with the phycological issues... All of them, the core... Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, Dupuis, Kunitz.... Malkin and Neal were so triggered it didn't even take an actual hit to throw them off, just the attempt at one had them ready to unload. Crosby got thrown off in the very first game with a face wash/punch from Chara to the head (While wearing a full shield due to puck to the face) which had Crosby lose it for the rest of the series.

Is it just coincidence those line up? Nope... I think they are equally at fault. Win/lose as a team. The players will tell you so, and they have.

It took a complete outsider (sully) to get their heads out of their own butts.

Fourth: It's no secrete why the Pens went b2b, they played a brand of defense that reduced shots against so much (shot blocking) that they saw not much in the way of high danger shots against. This helped Murray immensely, they were loaded with guys "willing" to shot block. Bonino, Hagelin, Kuhnhackl, Cole, Lovejoy and I'm sure there were others. Team concept.

NYR: 10 GF in 5 games
WSH: 15 GF in 6 games
TBL: 18 goals in 7 games
SJS: 12 goals in 6 games

That's 2.29 GAA. He didn't even play the first two games vs NYR, or one vs Tampa. Heck after being out months, Fleury backstopped them to a OT loss. and was the unfortunate guy to have a puck go straight to Kucherov to tie it on a wraparound no goaltender going to stop, and a defection going off Johnsons back, again, no goaltender going to stop. It wasn't even on net. But Fleury played bad...

As much as people love the guy there's those who hate him with just the same veracity, maybe more. There's some truth to their side, but it's not to the extent they say it is. I only seen Fleury mope one time in his career, and that's due to knowing his playing days were nearing a end due to cap/ED and a younger goaltender. As much as they say Fleury wouldn't have those cups can easily be reversed, if not for Fleury they never make the playoffs in 15/16, and him not being in for the first 2 rounds vs CBJ/WSH Murray doesn't even get to play for a cup. Me, I'm happy they all were there, we have -0- cups... without them.

Murray played 21 of 24 games with an average shot total of 27.38 and there were nights it was much less than that. one reaching a low of 17 total SA. The Pens were doing that shot suppression better than anybody. Everyone was already anointing Murray the next top goalie without even looking, and it kept going through the next run of a team that changed little. Not until they started letting go of the guys doing that trait of suppressing shots did they finally realize there's a hiccup with, Murray more than a high glove issue. I warned them we should be happy if he only turns out to be another, Fleury. Whelp, at this point he's not even that...Not that he couldn't rediscover that, but a real commitment needs to be on playing solid defense. That could be said of a lot of goalies.

The answer is somewhere in the middle like almost everything. I wouldn't be taking either extremes side with any kind of truth unless I looked for myself and made my own conclusion.

This teams won a lot of games they should not have due to Fleury, Murray and a number of other goalies. They could easily be complaining about no cups since 2005.

Last edited:

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Before it starts, let me guess- the bern specialty- add a package of several 2nd rd picks to acquire an elite young asset. Lol

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
you think Vegas in gonna trade recent #6 overall pick Cody Glass- who is playing terrific so far btw- for a backup goalie with 1 mil cap savings?

I mean, yeah. I guess if you do drugs you can make it happen. On Mars.

not surprisingly closeminded
premise was how can MAF to PIT

you ignore cap reality, need for LV to have acceptable replacement.
If MAF retained, chance deal could get done
Geo cheaper, helps make deal possible.

You conveniently overlook what I said about PIT paying LV and NY to get deal done.
Obv, IF Glass to NY, less to NY even more to LV from PIT

cap is SO bad for LV and PIT that LV likely still needs to move someone. Glass is a possible if someone pays LV for his inclusion

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad