GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah that's always the catch when it comes to stuff like this. Along with coaches preference for "vet" or "proven" options.

The appeal of a guy like Ruh is you can have him ride pine without sacrificing development. Even if that sounds a little brutal toward Ruh.

Yeah, I'd rather Ruh ride the pine than JJ...at least they won't be tempted to play him then...I'd rather they waive JJ and have Ruh in the press box

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Cap stuff looks tricky. Without touching the goalies or forwards, it appears to this novice that the best way to maximize LTIR for Trotman is to waive Riikola and Ruh with Marino staying up and then put Trotman on LTIR. You can then swap Marino and Riikola assuming he's not claimed. That would give you a 23 man roster with Trotman on LTIR (so effectively a 22 man roster with ability to do brief injury recalls).

Not sure the likelihood of Riikola getting claimed so not really comfortable with that plan. The obvious path to me is just burying JJ, but understand that has some bad optics and potential locker room crap.

I'm probably missing some nuances there, but that's how I see it after playing with the numbers a bit.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
CCXergj.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Later on in the season, maybe, but I kind of hope that the organization doesn't clear room for him, just to sit him in the press box. Young blueliners need to play.

Yup. Send him down and keep the spare bodies in the NHL.

I don't think they're planning to make Marino the number 7 dman in Pittsburgh, but I do think they're maybe planning to make him number 4 on the depth chart and to get games when there's injuries - games that Ruhwedel would have previously got. That's what I meant by Ruh no longer having a job; I guess sitting in the press box is a job of sorts, but not one where's he on the ice.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don't think they're planning to make Marino the number 7 dman in Pittsburgh, but I do think they're maybe planning to make him number 4 on the depth chart and to get games when there's injuries - games that Ruhwedel would have previously got. That's what I meant by Ruh no longer having a job; I guess sitting in the press box is a job of sorts, but not one where's he on the ice.

Honestly what a life. 700K a year to work out, travel with your buddies and be an NHL player without the day to day physical toll of the season. Whenever you do get a game here and there you’ve set the bar nice and low so nobody really cares how you play. Only downside is sometimes Geno will call you out in the video room.

Chess not checkers. Ruh’s got it figured out.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The 2 defenceman scenario looked awful and Hornqvist should be on the 1st PP unit. I still don't like Schultz's tendency to force low-percentage point shots but I'll take it over 2 D.

I thought the first deployment of the two D PP was good...the following times not so much...it’s been my preferred PP and I’m still not ready to give up on it... I like putting Horny back on but only occasionally...I like more unpredictability on the PP and everyone knows what he’ll be doing...his effectiveness last year was reduced

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly what a life. 700K a year to work out, travel with your buddies and be an NHL player without the day to day physical toll of the season. Whenever you do get a game here and there you’ve set the bar nice and low so nobody really cares how you play. Only downside is sometimes Geno will call you out in the video room.

Chess not checkers. Ruh’s got it figured out.

:laugh:

It'd drive me insane tbh. I guess once you've done the AHL and the NHL it's different, but I hate being the guy that doesn't play.

I thought the first deployment of the two D PP was good...the following times not so much...it’s been my preferred PP and I’m still not ready to give up on it... I like putting Horny back on but only occasionally...I like more unpredictability on the PP and everyone knows what he’ll be doing...his effectiveness last year was reduced

True, this year a whole ten players managed to be on ice for a higher rate of PP goals :naughty:

This team's struggled *bad* without Hornqvist on the PP historically since he got here. Maybe this is the year they figure out how to do it without him but I'll not be holding my breath.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The 2 defenceman scenario looked awful and Hornqvist should be on the 1st PP unit. I still don't like Schultz's tendency to force low-percentage point shots but I'll take it over 2 D.

Could be forcing some looks since Galchenyuk is out today too.

I think they may change set-ups and personnel game by game depending on what they see from opposing PKs on video too. Throw shit at the wall until it sticks.

Idk if that would be good or bad plan of action, but it doesn’t seem like they know what the hell they’re doing yet on the PP so it might make sense to start with.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

It'd drive me insane tbh. I guess once you've done the AHL and the NHL it's different, but I hate being the guy that doesn't play.

True, this year a whole ten players managed to be on ice for a higher rate of PP goals :naughty:

This team's struggled *bad* without Hornqvist on the PP historically since he got here. Maybe this is the year they figure out how to do it without him but I'll not be holding my breath.

I think Horny’s been really good on the PP except for last year. If you’re going to stand net front, you have to either produce effective screens or get the pucks in on rebounds...it just seems he wasn’t effective producing goals last year to go along with his down season...maybe that perception is wrong or maybe he should get a longer look at a second chance

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Yeah more seriously you don’t get to where Ruh is without being an ultra competitor. So I’d bet he doesn’t like sitting too much.

But since they've been keeping him around forever, I’m also sure that he recognizes his situation and replaceable-ness; so he probably smiles, goes about his business positively and is a good guy about it in the room.

Better to not play but fly private and cash NHL checks vs riding buses in the A :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah more seriously you don’t get to where Ruh is without being an ultra competitor. So I’d bet he doesn’t like sitting too much.

But since they've been keeping him around forever, I’m also sure that he recognizes his situation and replaceable-ness; so he probably smiles, goes about his business positively and is a good guy about it in the room.

Better to not play but fly private and cash NHL checks vs riding buses in the A :laugh:

Oh for reals. I'm guessing there's no bad locker room guys among the lifelong bubble guys.

That said, I'm sure he'd be thinking "I'd play more elsewhere"... and that's the real crux, not how Ruhwedel would take it, but the fact that there are probably teams that could use him right now in a way we no longer would. Doubt the trade return would be anything wild, but it'd beat the high probability of him getting caught on waivers. I'm with the people who aren't sure on whether Riikola would get claimed (although I have zero desire to find out), but Ruhwedel's a no-brainer place filler for someone with a temporary hole they don't like.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Galchenyuk's injury is one of those nagging ailment kinds. Hopefully he's ready for the opener. If not that's still an excellent group of 12 forwards.

If Gally is ready I wonder what they do. Kahun has not been great at camp. Would they scratch him and play Simon/ZAR instead?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For me, it's a no brainer to go 4F1D.
Phil bobbled alot of pucks last year on the PP and he ain't here anymore.
And as Velluci said when asked about his PP in the rookie tourney..."4 forwards 1 D, always."

Reactions: Dominance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad