Confirmed with Link: Penguins trade Scott Wilson + 2018 3rd rd. pick for Riley Sheahan + 2018 5th rd. pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
I'll take it. Pick is essentially a late 4th for hopefully a late 3rd. Wilson wasn't being used at all and doesn't bring a whole lot. We'll have to see how Sheahan does, but it does improve our depth down the middle. I bet Rowney moves to the wing and Kuhnhackl is benched

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Fine with me. We really don't have much flexibility in acquiring a center, and Wilson is pretty dime a dozen imo.

Wilson may be a dime a dozen, but Sheahan is a downgrade. He's coming off a 13-point season (in 80 games) and has had exactly one season in the NHL where he was more productive than Wilson was last season (which was his first in the NHL).

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I guess this answers the question of "who's worth more," between Wilson and Pouliot.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess I don't hate it as much as a lot of you seem to. I'm actually pretty optimistic about it. I didn't dislike Wilson or anything. But I don't see a role for him here, really. And the coaching staff seems to concur. Sheahan is no great shakes himself but addresses a need, for sure. I don't know that it solves their need for a third line pivot but it at least bolsters their depth there and gives them some options. Sheahan also has some recent history to be optimistic about and was playing for a very, very bad team. I think this could turn out better than expected. Even if it doesn't, this isn't exactly a steep price.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Better way to phrase it: they got a 25 year old guy who was once a 3rd liner, and he might become one again now that he's playing for a good team.

The Penguins search for a 3C certainly isn't done, but at least Sheahan might be the solution for that spot.

I mean he put 3 pretty good seasons together.

Last year he had a down year because he had a very low shooting percentage that will never happen again in his career.

We will have to hear what JR says, but i bet JR will tell you his search for a 3c is over.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Kind of funny. I was thinking of a Wilson for Sheahan trade today since I figured Wilson hasn't been thrilled sitting and the Pens need a depth center. Not to mention it offers Detroit a little cap relief that they need.

Really just have to hope Sheahan benefits from this change of scenery. Worst case scenario he upgrades the #4 center spot. In the meantime I wonder if they'll kick Rowney to the wing, McKegg to #4 center, Sheahan to #3 center and perhaps scratch Kuhn. There's a lot of options.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I'll take it. Pick is essentially a late 4th for hopefully a late 3rd. Wilson wasn't being used at all and doesn't bring a whole lot. We'll have to see how Sheahan does, but it does improve our depth down the middle. I bet Rowney moves to the wing and Kuhnhackl is benched

Someone will have to kill penalties. I'd rather have Reaves work his magic from the press box.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Scouting report on Sheahan from some Wings fans friends: 4th line C, very good defensively, average skater, overpaid.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well Bonino wasn't exactly speedy or skilled, but did produce in the playoffs.
For the record, I'm totally willing to give Sheahan a chance. Just concerned this team is prioritizing the wrong things. McKegg will be gone now, and yea he's meh, but I love our team speed and depth and it's fading into.. something else.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Sheahan had a rough year no doubt last season, but before that a 13 goal season and 14, in seasons in which the highest Wings player had, 29 goals and 23 goals respectively.

WDYT

Jul 23, 2017
There's not much downside to the move. Wilson hasn't been playing and likely did not have a long-term future here. There is likely not much different in quality between a (probable) late third round pick vs an early fifth round pick. Taking Sheahan's cap hit won't prevent them from being able to make a bigger move later.

There IS upside. Sheahan has performed as a quality 3C in the past. He's fallen out in Detroit and is playing wing on their fourth line now. It's not crazy to imagine that putting him back at center surrounded by much better talent might help get his game back.

Or not. And they just make another trade later.

Reactions: Aiastelmon

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Which lineup do you think is better?

Sheary Sid Jake
Rust Geno Phil
Hags Sheahan Horny
Kuhn Keg Reaves

Sheary Sid Jake
Rust Geno Phil
Hags Keg Horny
Kuhn Rowney Reaves

To me this trade clearly makes the pens a better team.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
For the record, I'm totally willing to give Sheahan a chance. Just concerned this team is prioritizing the wrong things. McKegg will be gone now, and yea he's meh, but I love our team speed and depth and it's fading into.. something else.
I hear ya. I don't want to see us deviate too much from our identity either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad