Confirmed with Link: Penguins trade Scott Wilson + 2018 3rd rd. pick for Riley Sheahan + 2018 5th rd. pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
As a Sheahan trade critic (the player, not the price paid), I agree with you. We are in a wait and see mode. I think people are saying that because they want 2 3C caliber players like we had in Bones and Cullen. I agree with them that is the ideal scenario and I hope it happens, although it's likely unrealistic.

I'm cool with getting another 3C, but a lot of people are leaning in to the Sheahan is a 4C narrative pretty hard, and we just don't know exactly what he is yet.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm perfectly content with running with Crosby-Malkin-Sheahan-McKegg-Rowney as the Penguins center depth until the trade deadline. At that point, you can see if you need another center, but I find it highly unneeded to add another center right now. McKegg has done very well this year and Sheahan so far looks like a good fit for the 3rd line.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think Sheahan will be a 4C at all, he looks perfectly fine as a 3c. His 2-way game is better than I thought, but his offense is where I am curious, he has a great shot, is a solid playmaker and he skates fairly well for a big man. The problem I see is that Hagelin doesn't fit that line at all, Horny and Sheahan look like they could work out very well together, oddly enough Wilson would have been fantastic for that line. But I would bump up Kuhnhackl for that line and put Hags with McKegg instead.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm cool with getting another 3C, but a lot of people are leaning in to the Sheahan is a 4C narrative pretty hard, and we just don't know exactly what he is yet.

Agreed. We don't know what he is yet on the Penguins. I was a doubter but he's a Penguin now and he should be given plenty of time with 3rd line minutes and linemates to decide what he can be here.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...y-Penguins-chat-10-26-17/stories/201710260123

Couple things from Mackey's chat in case anyone's interested: says Pens have no interest in signing Zaripov; will wait out whether they need to sign another center or backup goalie; confirms that Sid does not like to play with Hornqvist and thinks the team will not be able to re-sign Horny(that he will look for a max contract in FA)...amomg other things

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I'm perfectly content with running with Crosby-Malkin-Sheahan-McKegg-Rowney as the Penguins center depth until the trade deadline. At that point, you can see if you need another center, but I find it highly unneeded to add another center right now. McKegg has done very well this year and Sheahan so far looks like a good fit for the 3rd line.

Yea I'd say right now they HAVE to wait because their biggest need right not isn't a "true" 3C but rather a backup goalie. I bet in the next 2 weeks we see someone added/traded for

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...y-Penguins-chat-10-26-17/stories/201710260123

Couple things from Mackey's chat in case anyone's interested: says Pens have no interest in signing Zaripov; will wait out whether they need to sign another center or backup goalie; confirms that Sid does not like to play with Hornqvist and thinks the team will not be able to re-sign Horny(that he will look for a max contract in FA)...amomg other things

There's no emoji that illustrates my disdain for this dislike Crosby has for Hornqvist.

I just don't get it.

Honestly, just move Hornqvist now and get it over with, see if Crosby "has a problem" with the guy they get for him. Jesus f***ing Christ.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There's no emoji that illustrates my disdain for this dislike Crosby has for Hornqvist.

I just don't get it.

Honestly, just move Hornqvist now and get it over with, see if Crosby "has a problem" with the guy they get for him. Jesus ****ing Christ.

Crosby likes to play a certain way, just how it is. I used to have a teammate in the same mold as Hornqvist... we used to call him the "garbage man" because he had unreal hands around the net, but he was kind of a crap skater and his passing left a lot to be desired.

He and I had really good chemistry and I used to get easy assists just flipping him pucks near the net... but he was frustrating as hell to play with in transition and would rarely get me the puck up ice, or when I hit my gaps...

That stuff definitely happens with Crosby and Hornqvist and it can wear on you, despite any sort of chemistry you may have from 10-15 feet out from the net.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
32 pages for bottom 6 / heath scratch guy trade. This is the reason I keep coming back here. :thumbu:

Well we would have lost the game vs EDM without him, so it's probably a good thing he wasn't scratched. But I love how you're trying to combine "bottom 6" and "healthy scratch" as if it's the same thing. Rust is a bottom 6 winger... yet we all love him. So is Hagelin... not too many complaints about him. But yes, please keep calling Sheahan a "bottom 6" player as if that's a bad thing. :shakehead

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Both sides, those saying he will be a perfectly fine 3C and those who feel he is more of a 4C, are both judging way too quickly.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Well we would have lost the game vs EDM without him, so it's probably a good thing he wasn't scratched. But I love how you're trying to combine "bottom 6" and "healthy scratch" as if it's the same thing. Rust is a bottom 6 winger... yet we all love him. So is Hagelin... not too many complaints about him. But yes, please keep calling Sheahan a "bottom 6" player as if that's a bad thing. :shakehead

It's official: people can get offended by or misinterpret literally anything. I even added an emote for extra clarity but the good nature of my comment still didn't get through even a little bit. I thought it was cool that a relativity minor trade had such detailed discussion on here, said so, then was essentially accused of having beef with Rust and Hagelin for some reason.

I have absolutely no idea how you perceived what I said as a negative but you found a way to do it, then preceded to type a bunch of f***ing garbage, defending slights that only exist in your head. Bravo.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's official: people can get offended by or misinterpret literally anything. I even added an emote for extra clarity but the good nature of my comment still didn't get through even a little bit. I thought it was cool that a relativity minor trade had such detailed discussion on here, said so, then was essentially accused of having beef with Rust and Hagelin for some reason.

I have absolutely no idea how you perceived what I said as a negative but you found a way to do it
, then preceded to type a bunch of ****ing garbage, defending slights that only exist in your head. Bravo.

Just go back and re-read what you wrote... should be pretty obvious and easy to figure out. :shakehead

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just go back and re-read what you wrote... should be pretty obvious and easy to figure out. :shakehead

Re-reading what he wrote, I think he's referring to Wilson as the "healthy scratch" part of the trade. Ie. Bottom 6 forward for a healthy scratch (though he used a backslash instead of the word "for").

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I just don't get it.

Honestly, just move Hornqvist now and get it over with, see if Crosby "has a problem" with the guy they get for him. Jesus ****ing Christ.

I mean I understand it, but if it helps the team be better over all, he should get over it. Sid's a team player. But if Hornqvist won't sign an extension, and he's basically playing on the third line because of Sid and because he doesn't mesh with Geno, I think they should consider moving him for a first at the deadline. It may hurt the threepeat chances, but I mean when did we ever had two first round picks. It would be tempting....

Edit...maybe COL is still in the hunt and would consider Hornqvist+ something else reasonable for Duchene.....reasonable being the key word, a word usually not associated with Sakic, I know, but one can dream....

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Crosby likes to play a certain way, just how it is. I used to have a teammate in the same mold as Hornqvist... we used to call him the "garbage man" because he had unreal hands around the net, but he was kind of a crap skater and his passing left a lot to be desired.

He and I had really good chemistry and I used to get easy assists just flipping him pucks near the net... but he was frustrating as hell to play with in transition and would rarely get me the puck up ice, or when I hit my gaps...

That stuff definitely happens with Crosby and Hornqvist and it can wear on you, despite any sort of chemistry you may have from 10-15 feet out from the net.

I could understand Sid's frustration if Horny was his primary target, but I would have thought it could be lessened by having Guentzel on the other wing, where Guentzel and Crosby play keep away and Hornqvist just goes to the net to open up space for them.

Similar to what Toronto has with Matthews and Nylander passing the puck back and forth to one another, while Hyman just basically digs pucks out along the boards and stands in front of the net. They don't seem to have an issue because Hyman rarely touches the puck.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I love Hornqvist and consider him a big part of this team's success since he got here. But I still don't quite know how or if he fits in moving forward.

Jiggy is right on the money about what makes him a tricky fit on a scoring line, a lot of the time. Despite all of the incredible things he does, otherwise.

I also worry a bit about how suddenly that cliff comes up if he re-signs.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I could understand Sid's frustration if Horny was his primary target, but I would have thought it could be lessened by having Guentzel on the other wing, where Guentzel and Crosby play keep away and Hornqvist just goes to the net to open up space for them.

Similar to what Toronto has with Matthews and Nylander passing the puck back and forth to one another, while Hyman just basically digs pucks out along the boards and stands in front of the net. They don't seem to have an issue because Hyman rarely touches the puck.

Sheary gets him the puck in transition quite well also and Crosby loves playing that kind of quick hitting game with incredible pace. That's why I think you keep seeing the GCS keep being put back together, despite their obvious deficiencies at the other end.

Even Kunitz and Dupuis, despite their lack of playmaking skills, knew how to find Crosby from blueline to blueline.

Hornqvist doesn't play that kind of game. So when you put him on Crosby's line, it's like asking a Venom GT to race in third gear.

Reactions: td_ice

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

I thought so too but in spite of all odds you were unable to do so.

Well, you had your fun internet rage for the day. I hope it was enjoyable. Enjoy the game, get some rest, and gear up for tomorrow. There's LOTS of stuff to try and invent arguments about. The world is your oyster.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I like Hornqvist, he's grown to easily be one of my favorite Penguins.

That said, he doesn't really fit anywhere. You can't pay someone $5.5M - $6M a season to play on the third line. Which I think Hornqvist could easily get in free agency. He doesn't fit with Crosby (apparently) and he has never played well with Malkin. If anything, it means more cap space to re-sign Rust and maybe Cole but that may be a stretch.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’m okay with Sheahan as 3C but a rental at the deadline that’s good enough to push Sheahan to 4C would really put this team over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->