Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
NB: I would love to eat crow on this. Clearly if Tanev is just a late bloomer who keeps on getting better, this thread might look very different in the future and outside of cap-issues, I don't expect Tanev to ever actively hurt us.

Just.... 21 million. I would love to have seen Lemieux' face when he was told.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The way I look $1M for every 10 points is always a good deal. if he can keep 35 points per season...well that would be an OK deal...I am afraid He won't get to 35 mark if he plays on the 4th line with TB and ZAR , I doubt they will give him this kind of money unless he is penciled for the third line, in which case something has to give....and that could be Rust

Reactions: tom_servo

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Someone in the last thread said that Adam Lowry was a "borderline 4th liner." This is not even remotely accurate. I've no idea what would possess somebody to say this.

Reactions: Shady Machine

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
From what I read about Tanev, I would be surprised if he's worse than Hagelin. And Hags seems to have a very inflated value around here.

Based on Hags' new contract, we overpaid Tanev by only $.75m. Which isn't the worst thing.

Good point. Hagelin got a 4 year deal and is 3 1/2 years older so he will actually be older than Tanev at the end of his deal. Actually Tanev will be younger at the start of his 4th year of his deal than Hagelin is at the start of his first year of his 4 year deal.

I said in earlier posts it was the cap hit and not the years that bother me. If Tanev would of signed for Hagelin’s cap hit I would of been fine with it. So I guess I shouldn’t be that upset about $.75 million but it is an overpay. We had a $4 million cap hit for Hagelin’s last contract so I guess it was a discount compared to that. For me it really will come down to who we have to trade to get under the cap due to this overpay. If it is JJ then I am fine with it. If it is Rust then not so much unless the return is nice for Rust. I want to keep the speed.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jets fan here.

Although the contract length is questionable I think the AAV is right on the money. You guys will asbolutely love Tanev. Works hard every shift, hits everything in sight, blocks everything, forechecks hard. Has decent but not great finish. Hes exactly what you want in an energy checking line forward. He lays it all on the line every single shift. Really going to miss him on the Jets.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I’ve never broken down the stats, but more often then not in my opinion 4+ year deals to bottom 6 forwards end up being a disappointment. Sometimes because the players don’t quite show the same hunger. Sometimes because their ability understandably declines over the contract. Sometimes there are simply better, cheaper, and younger options to replace the player before the contract is done.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’ve never broken down the stats, but more often then not in my opinion 4+ year deals to bottom 6 forwards end up being a disappointment. Sometimes because the players don’t quite show the same hunger. Sometimes because their ability understandably declines over the contract. Sometimes there are simply better, cheaper, and younger options to replace the player before the contract is done.

Yeah, but did you know Tanev is fast?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Too bad we don’t give a **** cos we have 3 Cups just like the Hawks. Crime pays *****!
I'm glad about our cups. But I'm reacting to the larceny that just took place. This is the thread for it, right?

I feel ''unclean'' ATM. I might have to rally myself into taking a shower after what JR did to us. Not good.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I like what GMJR has done. He’s added Kahun, Galchenyek, and Tanev. All young fast players with scoring touch. Also got a top D prospect. All of that for Maatta and Kessel. Solid draft as well. You guys are way too hard on him. Tanev’s contract won’t matter. No Penguins contract will matter in 3-4 years.

Reactions: Dangles78

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
He's going to be a well-liked guy for the way he plays.

Every time I saw him play he seemed like he always gave 110%, skates fast, he's physical and a decent hockey player. The issue is, while he's worth $3.5M, it's the length of the contract. The Penguins have a 3-4 year window to win another Stanley Cup with their core, Tanev's contract is the second longest on the team and his contract will end with Crosby's.

I like the player because he checks a lot of the boxes I wanted. What is not to like about adding a fast winger that was third in hits in the league, 3rd for forwards in blocked shots, good on the PK, and had 14 goals last season. That sounds like the perfect addition to help our team get back to the style that helped us dominate in 2016 playoffs. I wanted to get back to that fast, hard forechecking team that was hard to play against. I like the move back to the speed game. All 3 forwards we added are fast and in their prime. Plus we added another young fast forward late last year in McCann. I think this is the right path that we went off course from for a while. I am glad management has recognized this and has self corrected.

So if you find him worth the $3.5 million then it sounds good to me. I guess I loved having Hagelin on the team and he was paid more than that. Like I posted earlier Hagelin is just starting his 4 year contract and Tanev will be younger than Hagelin when he starts the 4th year of this deal. Besides after that 4th year this team’s window will be closed and I will be for an all out rebuild.

I was stunned at this contract originally but after analyzing it more and comparing it to Hagelin’s new contract which is 4 years for a player that will be 31 before the season and only $.75 million less it is starting to look better to me. It is slightly high and long but if the player does what he did last year it will be worth it. I am willing to wait and see because I love what Tanev brings and believe he was needed.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Gotta say I don’t love the concept that we’re going to continually lock up cap space on role players. I think that having one or maybe two Rust/Tanev/Bjugs making the money they do is fine. But having 5 guys like them (or worse.. JJ!) making significant cash handcuffs our ability to add a “big” piece. IMO these role player type of spots on a contending roster are for the hungry mid to late round picks or UDFA young guys that you flush through the system every year and then move on from when they need a raise.

However— I like Tanev a lot, he’ll be very useful and at least he won’t be a miserable drag on the entire team when he’s out there like the last July 1 signing. So while I don’t love the deal or the ridiculous term I think he can be worth most of that AAV for a few seasons here.

I also can’t say JR has done a bad job with overhauling this F group. It maybe lacks one more true weapon up front but it’s insanely deep as of right now and very versatile. We have 4 legitimate options for who could be the 3C alone. If we keep these current players we should be able to truly roll lines at teams all season.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I like what GMJR has done. He’s added Kahun, Galchenyek, and Tanev. All young fast players with scoring touch. Also got a top D prospect. All of that for Maatta and Kessel. Solid draft as well. You guys are way too hard on him. Tanev’s contract won’t matter. No Penguins contract will matter in 3-4 years.

Rutherford did a nice job last year also making the team younger adding McCann 22, Pettersson 22, Bjugsad 26, and Gudbranson 27 in trades last season for older UFA’s and picks. This team is actually full of players young or in primes around the core players now. This definitely helps keep the window open longer. Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are almost entirely surrounded by players in their primes. Only Hornqvist and JJ are not and even they are not far into their 30’s. Also I think JJ will be upgraded by the deadline at the latest.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
NB: I would love to eat crow on this. Clearly if Tanev is just a late bloomer who keeps on getting better, this thread might look very different in the future and outside of cap-issues, I don't expect Tanev to ever actively hurt us.

Just.... 21 million. I would love to have seen Lemieux' face when he was told.

Do you recall the overheard clip of JR in his first year/first draft telling a second GM that Mario had to sign off on the discussed trade before JR could finalize the deal. I assure you that this vignette occurred!

Perhaps JR now has free rein but “The Great Meddler” is far from a passive owner and was likely well aware of the Tenev signing.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
If JJ is moved to create the cap space it's a fine player to get, even for overpaying. If Rust is moved to create cap space, it's a terrible trade off. It's as simple as that. JJ being traded or not will decide this off season.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I like the player because he checks a lot of the boxes I wanted. What is not to like about adding a fast winger that was third in hits in the league, 3rd for forwards in blocked shots, good on the PK, and had 14 goals last season. That sounds like the perfect addition to help our team get back to the style that helped us dominate in 2016 playoffs. I wanted to get back to that fast, hard forechecking team that was hard to play against. I like the move back to the speed game. All 3 forwards we added are fast and in their prime. Plus we added another young fast forward late last year in McCann. I think this is the right path that we went off course from for a while. I am glad management has recognized this and has self corrected.

So if you find him worth the $3.5 million then it sounds good to me. I guess I loved having Hagelin on the team and he was paid more than that. Like I posted earlier Hagelin is just starting his 4 year contract and Tanev will be younger than Hagelin when he starts the 4th year of this deal. Besides after that 4th year this team’s window will be closed and I will be for an all out rebuild.

I was stunned at this contract originally but after analyzing it more and comparing it to Hagelin’s new contract which is 4 years for a player that will be 31 before the season and only $.75 million less it is starting to look better to me. It is slightly high and long but if the player does what he did last year it will be worth it. I am willing to wait and see because I love what Tanev brings and believe he was needed.

The amount is perfect, it's just the years.

Three years would've been ideal, four I could stomach. Not six.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
OK, having had time to think about this: yes, too long and too much.

Enough about JR, and about the player: he will make the Pens harder to play against, something that can't really be said the last couple years. And, like another recent signing, he isn't shite and will help the team. In a few years, his cap hit likely won't matter. So, I feel beer now.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
The simple truth is this is probably the price JR had to pay to get his guy. Tanev probably got a silly offer for a shorter term which is how we got to these numbers. Tanev was the guy JR wanted and paid for it. Definitely more term and salary than what should have been given out and now forces us to make another move. Hopefully JR doesn’t shit the bed on this next move.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The simple truth is this is probably the price JR had to pay to get his guy. Tanev probably got a silly offer for a shorter term which is how we got to these numbers. Tanev was the guy JR wanted and paid for it. Definitely more term and salary than what should have been given out and now forces us to make another move. Hopefully JR doesn’t **** the bed on this next move.

Then move on to the next guy. Trade whoever you are going to have to trade now to fit him in.

Or be patient and see if some better players have to drop their price later in FA. We weren’t in a situation where our forwards were bad and had to strike. Our forward group was really strong.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Then move on to the next guy. Trade whoever you are going to have to trade now to fit him in.

Or be patient and see if some better players have to drop their price later in FA. We weren’t in a situation where our forwards were bad and had to strike. Our forward group was really strong.

Funny part is Ferland probably signs for less than this in terms of years.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad