Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

HealthyNutScratch

Jun 29, 2019
Six year may be a stretch but with the cap increasing year over year as well as the players salaries it might balance out in the end. Imagine what Crosby or Malkin would fetch with todays rates. We won't know if it's a bad deal until he steps on the ice for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Heck, he could be that missing piece that Dupuis was for the team or he could be that free agent signing that craps the bed. I don't see him doing any worse than Brassard was for us:)

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Tanev was better than a "very good 4th line checker" last year though.

Not in my book. He was more likely just lucky that a few extra went in last season.
He simply does not have the talent to be more than he is.

But.... it will make it easier to forget how incredibly idiotic the numbers of this contract are, if he brings his skating and work ethic every night.
I can appreciate why that is part of the culture thing, JR wanted to address.

Just dont be surprised if he never hits 30 points.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not in my book. He was more likely just lucky that a few extra went in last season.

But.... it will make it easier to forget how incredibly idiotic the numbers of this contract are, if he brings his skating and work ethic every night.

You’re forgetting he is fast and can play with Malkin.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If I remember correctly Fehr was signed before Bonino and was told he’d be the 3C but then we had Bonino and Cullen so he wasn’t even a centre. He was a decent signing at 2mil and came off a couple decent years (35 points per 82 the 3 previous seasons).

I guess that’s why he asked to be traded eventually because he didn’t want to be a winger.

Fehr was coming off of 20 goals. Also managed to not be trash playing with Malkin or on the 4th line enroute to a Cup so whatever.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017

From what I read about Tanev, I would be surprised if he's worse than Hagelin. And Hags seems to have a very inflated value around here.

Based on Hags' new contract, we overpaid Tanev by only $.75m. Which isn't the worst thing.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
You’re forgetting he is fast and can play with Malkin.
Hags "can" play with Geno in the same way that Matt Cullen "can" play with Crosby. 5 goals playing top 9 minutes is not adequate in any shape or form.

Hags' offense fell off a cliff and hasn't scored more than 10 goals since 2016. If we're comparing Tanev to Hagelin then this contract isn't as bad as many of us think.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

His shooting% was 11, up one percent from the previous year. He’s gotten better every year, and if he plateaus now, he’s a decent third liner.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Based on what? Because you say so?

His progression has been entirely reasonable for an undrafted free agent. You just saying "oh, we was just lucky" is just a gigantic red flag that you're not evaluating him fairly. Not only that, but he also had a pace of about 25 points in a purely 4th line role in 2017-2018, so it's not even like he got some massive production jump or something like that.

Reactions: Turin and Trade

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
None of this really matters, he'll probably be on LTIR by November. Penguins.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I love that Tanev is willing to scrap at any given moment even though he tends to come out even at best for most of his fights.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Something else I just realized about Tanev, he has produced at a good rate in the playoffs over his career. He's at 5 goals and 8 points in 22 playoff games, which is almost the exact same as what Rust did in both the 2016 (6 goals and 9 points in 23 games) and 2017 (7 goals and 9 points in 23 games) cup runs.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
The cost might be tough to swallow, but if you guys can ignore it, you're going to love this guy. Just forget about his contract, it is what it is, and watch what he does for your team. There's a reason we have an appreciation thread on the Jets forum with nothing but regretful goodbyes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The cost might be tough to swallow, but if you guys can ignore it, you're going to love this guy. Just forget about his contract, it is what it is, and watch what he does for your team. There's a reason we have an appreciation thread on the Jets forum with nothing but regretful goodbyes.

If he makes ZAR expendable he’ll be my new favorite player.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hags "can" play with Geno in the same way that Matt Cullen "can" play with Crosby. 5 goals playing top 9 minutes is not adequate in any shape or form.

Hags' offense fell off a cliff and hasn't scored more than 10 goals since 2016. If we're comparing Tanev to Hagelin then this contract isn't as bad as many of us think.

Aside from the fact Hagelin played regular top nine minutes throughout his career before becoming a Penguin and usually hovered around a .5PPG clip.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I can't forget the contract considering we're a cap team. I can't separate that from the signing. I'm excited about adding Tanev to the team. But I'm ashamed our GM was victimized to that degree.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

It is tough to swallow but I think most will like him/do like him. More concerned about how our GM goes about some things the past year or so and what will he do next. Thanks for the input though.

Reactions: Saitama

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Based on what? Because you say so?

His progression has been entirely reasonable for an undrafted free agent. You just saying "oh, we was just lucky" is just a gigantic red flag that you're not evaluating him fairly. Not only that, but he also had a pace of about 25 points in a purely 4th line role in 2017-2018, so it's not even like he got some massive production jump or something like that.

I appreciate that it is not my most scholarly argument ever, but I've never seen any skill in him whatsoever. A few comments from WPG fans last night before the calamity was official served to underline what I thought. Great character guy, great wheels and intensity... but also a guy who had been getting a scoring bounce one should not expect to last. Goals coming off shots bouncing off of him, ass goals etc.
Surely those goals count the same and some are just good at being in the right place, but you'd like to see it for more than a season before you deem it skill rather than luck.

Derek Grant had 12+12 in 66 games the season before JR had a prayer on him, but most people here never expected that to continue either. Maybe you, Mr. Sunny Side Up, did however :)? I don't recall.

Ziggyjoe: The reason Hagelin could play with Malkin despite a real lack of scoring touch is that he has the hockey IQ at least. He could handle and give a pass and had the positional awareness to help cover defensively a lot. Tanev is just as good a forechecker and has a much bigger physical impact obviously, but he doesn't have half (prime) Hagelin's alround ability. As we saw, when Hagelin looked like seriously declining in the last third last season it became a real waste to play him with Geno, his contract therefore became untenable and he was traded. If Tanev was to be played with Geno, 71 would lose his mind.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I appreciate that it is not my most scholarly argument ever, but I've never seen any skill in him whatsoever. A few comments from WPG fans last night before the calamity was official served to underline what I thought. Great character guy, great wheels and intensity... but also a guy who had been getting a scoring bounce one should not expect to last. Goals coming off shots bouncing off of him, ass goals etc.
Surely those goals count the same and some are just good at being in the right place, but you'd like to see it for more than a season before you deem it skill rather than luck.

Derek Grant had 12+12 in 66 games the season before JR had a prayer on him, but most people here never expected that to continue either. Maybe you, Mr. Sunny Side Up, did however :)? I don't recall.

Ziggyjoe: The reason Hagelin could play with Malkin despite a real lack of scoring touch is that he has the hockey IQ at least. He could handle and give a pass and had the positional awareness to help cover defensively a lot. Tanev is just as good a forechecker and has a much bigger physical impact obviously, but he doesn't have half (prime) Hagelin's alround ability. As we saw, when Hagelin looked like seriously declining in the last third last season it became a real waste to play him with Geno, his contract therefore became untenable and he was traded. If Tanev was to be played with Geno, 71 would lose his mind.

I'm willing to bet that consistent production over 2 years of 25-30 points per 82 games is more indicative of his current level than arbitrarily saying that he had a bunch of goals scored off of his ass, without providing really anything to support that :dunno:

There are a lot of things to criticize with this deal, saying he's a worse player than he is and just got lucky isn't one of them.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It’s not unreasonable to suggest that a player like Tanev who just buzzsaws nonstop is going to get goals that might look flukey. The guy is exactly what you want in roleplayer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad