Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign forward Derek Grant [1 year/650k]

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Indeed.

This guy isn't a fluke, yeah he scored nada before last season's 12g12a in 65gp (a 15g 15a 82gp projection) but that was simply due to a different use:

Derek Grant - Pittsburgh Penguins - 2018 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Big guy, small cap, can play bottom 6, good on FO, scored as a 3rd liner but could score a few on a good 4th line too, which incidently, the Pens now have.
He had one season in a top 6 role and produced, some. He's decent on FOs. If anything he's a 4th line C for defensive FOs/PK guy. I like his size, but I would not count on him getting 12 Gs again this year without play top 6.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
He had one season in a top 6 role and produced, some. He's decent on FOs. If anything he's a 4th line C for defensive FOs/PK guy. I like his size, but I would not count on him getting 12 Gs again this year without play top 6.

I doubt Rowney and Kuhn could put up 12G in the top 6...so hes at least a better option than those 2.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JR certainly learns from his mistakes. He got screwed by no goalie depth years ago, got it here and has worked out great.

Got into cap trouble (with injuries) after the deadline in 14/15 where we could only dress 5D at times. Always made sure we had a buffer since although that meant Cole had to be traded last deadline.

Our centre depth (wingers too) was bad last season for too long. He certainly has depth for every position now.
I don’t think we have a lot of depth at goaltender. Murray is fantastic when he’s healthy. DeSmith is a complete unknown commodity.

I think JR realized how important depth was after last year and he make the necessary changes.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don’t think we have a lot of depth at goaltender. Murray is fantastic when he’s healthy. DeSmith is a complete unknown commodity.

I think JR realized how important depth was after last year and he make the necessary changes.

He can be solid enough for now and having Jarry (when he eventually signs him) might be why he hasn’t got anyone else.

If he has to get a more proven backup they are usually gettable pretty easily throughout the year.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm really excited about having a good 4th line again. Our 4th line was trash last year. When we won the two cups, it contributed.

Don't care how stacked the top nine is, you need 4 deep to do well. Look at the Caps and how they got big contributions out of DSP, etc. Playoffs really does take everyone.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm really excited about having a good 4th line again. Our 4th line was trash last year. When we won the two cups, it contributed.

Don't care how stacked the top nine is, you need 4 deep to do well. Look at the Caps and how they got big contributions out of DSP, etc. Playoffs really does take everyone.

Me too. No more Rowney Reaves Kuhn Garbage

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What I can't figure out is why t he Ducks let him and his 12 goals go and sign Rowney who couldn't put a puck in the ocean for 3 years.

What are they seeing that I'm not?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What I can't figure out is why t he Ducks let him and his 12 goals go and sign Rowney who couldn't put a puck in the ocean for 3 years.

Maybe they felt needed a RH C and also feel they have enough 4th line depth?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How you know the offseason is dead: the news about signing Derek Grant has been going on for multiple days at this point :laugh:

This is the most coverage I've seen given to a depth player FA signing for the Penguins.

Reactions: Darth Vitale

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
How you know the offseason is dead: the news about signing Derek Grant has been going on for multiple days at this point :laugh:

This is the most coverage I've seen given to a depth player FA signing for the Penguins.
Well, Pens had a problematic 4th but not anymore + the guy can also play on the 3rd line in a more offensive role with a 15g15a 82gp possibility based on last season with the Ducks.

Big guy, good on FO, can check, score, dirt cheap, why not talk about something positive for once?

Not saying that we don't but there's some serious baseless whining here at times.

One year contract, Blueger could replace him after that if he steps up to it or we could just keep Grant if he does the job.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I can see why JR would sign him given the price. Any ideas why Grant would want to sign? He obviously wants an opportunity to further prove himself, but why does he feel that best opportunity, and/or current money, is with the Pens?

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I can see why JR would sign him given the price. Any ideas why Grant would want to sign? He obviously wants an opportunity to further prove himself, but why does he feel that best opportunity, and/or current money, is with the Pens?
IMO he just got a taste of what's scoring like in the NHL, the best way to boost his pedigree would be with an offensive oriented team. If the Pens do give him an offensive oriented role like the injury plagued Ducks gave him last season i can see his agent already salivating over his next contract. Now, will the Pens mostly play him on the 4th and if that's the case will that line reemerge as one that can score again? I'd like to think so.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The impression I get from Ducks posters is that Murray probably offered Rowney's deal to Grant first, who rejected it. Maybe he was left without a chair when the music stopped playing (as JR mentioned earlier in the months about FAs who fall through the cracks) and we were the beneficiaries.

Money and term being equal, I'm sure Pittsburgh's a more attractive place to play than just about anywhere else these days. Great chance to win and boost your stock for your next deal.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

That is true, the 4th line this year could be Cullen-Sheahan-Rust which would most likely be the best 4th line in hockey. I can see Rust on the 3rd line LW but if they use someone like ZAR in that spot then this could be the 4th line. Grant will have a hard time cracking this lineup on a regular basis. One of Grant, ZAR, or Simon will be the 12th forward.

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
I’m just saying this screams trade.

If you trade Brassard and Maatta package in Blueger, Sprong, Jarry, and a 1st that’s more than enough for Karlsson.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

If you trade Brassard and Maatta package in Blueger, Sprong, Jarry, and a 1st that’s more than enough for Karlsson.
I’m sure Ottawa would laugh at you with that trade offer.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Because at best he gets to wear this:
220px-Pittsburgh_Penguins_logo_%282016%29.svg.png
or this roided monster
cropped-logo-3.png

Versus these things:
332px-Anaheim_Ducks.svg.png
or
277px-San_Diego_Gulls_logo.svg.png

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

That’s an insane quantity of assets, but I have to like it.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
A lot of assets for 1 year of Karlsson.
Here rebuilding team, take back Brassard for a year, our third string goalie, our late first round pick, an unproven prospect and a bottom/#4 dman.

That is way too much quantity for quality. I’m sure Ottawa would prefer to receive better prospects and a high draft pick when they deal him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad