Because at best he gets to wear this:
220px-Pittsburgh_Penguins_logo_%282016%29.svg.png
or this roided monster
cropped-logo-3.png

Versus these things:
332px-Anaheim_Ducks.svg.png
or
277px-San_Diego_Gulls_logo.svg.png

Why is the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguin tougher looking than his NHL counterpart?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
I feel like this is an odd move. The guy has played LW/C, but mostly C last year. He's got some size at 6'3" and can produce to some degree, but what is this centermen madness?
Sid
Geno
Brass
Sheahan
Cullen
Grant
Teddy

I mean you are going into the season hoping that Brass is going to gel in a LW role. Or that Grant competes for a LW role. It feels like throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks.

One thing that has me a bit concerned..why was he not resigned? Why would Rowney been a better value in anyone's mind unless there is something we don't know? Grant's other NHL stints were pretty much a tub of nothingness.

Im pretty sure this is to address our faceoffs and defensive zone possession. Our bottom 6 advance stats last year was atrocious. We now have a 4th line that can play anywhere across the top half of the ice.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Why is the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguin tougher looking than his NHL counterpart?

When Howard Baldwin commissioned a logo redesign, for reasons known only to him, it came down to two finalists: a muscle penguin and this one

https://orig05.deviantart.net/d1cf/..._penguins_logo_by_pd_black_dragon-d2zw6se.png

Baldwin went with the latter.

Later, when the Pens put an AHL club in Wilkes-Barre, it needed a logo and they just happened to have an unused design already trademarked.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I can see why JR would sign him given the price. Any ideas why Grant would want to sign? He obviously wants an opportunity to further prove himself, but why does he feel that best opportunity, and/or current money, is with the Pens?

Grant is a hockey historian at heart and knows our Championship pedigree and winning culture are unparalleled. Also we have Phil Kessel and them other bitches don't.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It seems unlikely but maybe it was the only one-way deal Grant got offered. Or maybe he sees us as being short on guys like him, having lost Kuhn & Rowney, and thinks he can carve out a niche. Or maybe he *really* likes a challenge.

I know that even if the money was the same I’d take him over Kuhnhackl & Rowney, and I like Kuhnhackl.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't have a big problem with the signing (eh, league minimum - if he busts out, he can be buried in the AHL), but I wouldn't put too much stock in his 12 goals last season.

First, 3 of those goals came on the powerplay, and he's not even making the second unit on the Pens without a significant number of injuries. (Wait, this is the Pens we're talking about, so he'll probably end up on the first unit for a time around December).
Second, his shooting percentage last year was absurdly high. Over 18%. Even the most elite players can't sustain that. So expect regression on that front.

Based on a reasonably average shooting percentage, and a shots total similar to last year's, I'd guess he'll get around 3-5 goals this season. Which would still be more than Rowney or Kuhnhackl, at least. And is reasonable for a fourth-line player.

Really, my only worry about the signing is how it potentially blocks some prospects, but, hey, if they can't beat out Grant for a spot, then they probably need more time in the AHL anyway.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I don't have a big problem with the signing (eh, league minimum - if he busts out, he can be buried in the AHL), but I wouldn't put too much stock in his 12 goals last season.

First, 3 of those goals came on the powerplay, and he's not even making the second unit on the Pens without a significant number of injuries. (Wait, this is the Pens we're talking about, so he'll probably end up on the first unit for a time around December).
Second, his shooting percentage last year was absurdly high. Over 18%. Even the most elite players can't sustain that. So expect regression on that front.

Based on a reasonably average shooting percentage, and a shots total similar to last year's, I'd guess he'll get around 3-5 goals this season. Which would still be more than Rowney or Kuhnhackl, at least. And is reasonable for a fourth-line player.

Really, my only worry about the signing is how it potentially blocks some prospects, but, hey, if they can't beat out Grant for a spot, then they probably need more time in the AHL anyway.
Exactly.

Better to have him as a stepping stone for those young AHLers than Kuhn or Rowney!, a better challenge will only make them hungrier. If they don't deserve to become NHLers than let them learn the ropes a little more, Grant is only signed for one season afterall.

Disagree on goals output, if he plays on the 3rd at times that could easily amount to 10+, as a 4th i project more than 5 but of course that's based on regular use. Could he be a healthy scratch at times? If the kids all pan out, sure but i don't think that'll happen.

Again, it all depends on what the Pens do. Switching from a 4th checker to a 3rd line more of a scoring role like Ducks did last season with him?

My bet is that either he gels on a strong 4th or he gets moved around on the bottom 6 as a patch all season if he doesn't fit anywhere (healthy scratch time = kids opportunities) -or- can easily adapt to emergencies/experiments as a power patch.

One thing is sure, we won't have any problems whatsoever on C next season, curious if he'll be effective as a winger though.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
When Howard Baldwin commissioned a logo redesign, for reasons known only to him, it came down to two finalists: a muscle penguin and this one

https://orig05.deviantart.net/d1cf/..._penguins_logo_by_pd_black_dragon-d2zw6se.png

Baldwin went with the latter.

Later, when the Pens put an AHL club in Wilkes-Barre, it needed a logo and they just happened to have an unused design already trademarked.

I'll never forgive Balwin for changing the logo after back to back Cups

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
A muscly Penguin was first used for the Russian Penguins, I’m not entirely sure even what that was but I have a hat with the logo and some Cyrillic on it.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
A muscly Penguin was first used for the Russian Penguins, I’m not entirely sure even what that was but I have a hat with the logo and some Cyrillic on it.

Hmm...I have a jersey, but it is like this and not muscly-more...husky lol. Is this what you were thinking of?

Russian Penguins hockey team statistics and history at hockeydb.com

thumbnail.php

Current KHL team Slovan Bratislava has what appears to be an eagle as the robopen:

220px-Slovan_Bratislava_Logo.svg.png

and to stay relevant....uh....I saw a 2014 fishing trip pic on Derek Grant's instagram with Ryan Johansen...so, get ready for JR to bring in some more 'tough skill' there this year, eh?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wish I wasn't such a dumbass as a kid and bent the shit out of the bill of the cap because it'd be cool to wear now.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
When Grant signed he got a text from Crosby saying welcome to the club and if he needs a place to stay when he first gets to Pittsburgh he can stay with him. Or if he wants to grab a drink, play some golf or if he needs anything to let him know.

Sid the good guy. :)

Reactions: EightyOne

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
When Grant signed he got a text from Crosby saying welcome to the club and if he needs a place to stay when he first gets to Pittsburgh he can stay with him. Or if he wants to grab a drink, play some golf or if he needs anything to let him know.

Sid the good guy. :)
Building a relationship with his new linemate.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Makes sense. Probably started in the 70s when entire Russian athletic teams were on 'roids. Only logical the logo would be on 'roids too.

Reactions: EightyOne

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
What about this one...

281px-Krefeld_Pinguine_logo.svg.png
My thought on this is...how do you not seem like you are hooking, holding, tripping, or even embellishing or diving every shift you wear this logo...no matter how clean you play?

Your captain complaining about a call to a ref while wearing this...ref answers: "yeah right!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad