Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Emil Larmi to a two-year, entry-level contract

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
EssentialMildAllensbigearedbat-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I have seen Larmi play couple of years in my favorite team. To describe his style I would say he is like a magician in drugs. It's quite a ride to see him play and it is a lot to say, when thinking how goaltenders become like robots. He is like wildchild on net and have very aggressive style. In Liiga he have let more softies than anybody else, but same time he have made more game savers than anybody else. Many times he make me cry when he goes behind the net and play poorly puck and opponent score because of that. It happens often. But same time to see his game saving skills. He is aggressive and challenge the shooter. He is amazing in brakeaways and shootouts. In playoffs he didn't let even one brake away and shootout goal. Did I mentioned that he played those play-offs with one knee?

If I have to compare him to some other goalie I would say Tim Thomas. Both small and aggressive guys. Of course I don't say that he would be in his level, but Larmi is maybe one of the hardest worker goalie we have seen.

LMFAO sounds like MAF.

Reactions: torrencemd

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's exactly it. I just think Jarry will be the better goalie one year from now. Jarry could still become a starter, DeSmith on the other hand has probably already hit his ceiling.

But I get where you're coming from. DeSmith is the safest pick and a decent backup.
It's not even that.

Matt Murray is 1yr older than Jarry. We don't need another #1, we need a solid reliable back-up, which we have. DeSmith has shown he is a damn good back up that can come off the bench cold and win a game, exactly what you need and want from a back-up.

Jarry on the other hand, needs games, he's a typical #1, he has to play a lot to get in a groove and maintains that quality while playing a lot. Coming off the bench cold isn't how he functions, it's not how a lot of #1's function, it's why a lot of ex-starters, are not the greatest back-ups in their twilight years. Jarry is 1yr younger and has not at any point in his tenure, made it hard to send him down, he's made it quite easy. He's just a guy that needs to play a lot and the situation he's in here, not the best. Reminds me a lot of Jack Campbell in some ways. There are a lot of teams looking for a guy like Jarry, Pens can utilize that if they're smart.

Tristan Jarry has #1 qualities, but on this team, it's just a waste. Larmi is 22yrs old, at best, he might develop into a back-up or potentially a starter, at worst, he's a decent AHL goalie. We have D'Orio and others as well. Jarry is a good trade chip, use it.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
It's not even that.

Matt Murray is 1yr older than Jarry. We don't need another #1, we need a solid reliable back-up, which we have. DeSmith has shown he is a damn good back up that can come off the bench cold and win a game, exactly what you need and want from a back-up.

Jarry on the other hand, needs games, he's a typical #1, he has to play a lot to get in a groove and maintains that quality while playing a lot. Coming off the bench cold isn't how he functions, it's not how a lot of #1's function, it's why a lot of ex-starters, are not the greatest back-ups in their twilight years. Jarry is 1yr younger and has not at any point in his tenure, made it hard to send him down, he's made it quite easy. He's just a guy that needs to play a lot and the situation he's in here, not the best. Reminds me a lot of Jack Campbell in some ways. There are a lot of teams looking for a guy like Jarry, Pens can utilize that if they're smart.

Tristan Jarry has #1 qualities, but on this team, it's just a waste. Larmi is 22yrs old, at best, he might develop into a back-up or potentially a starter, at worst, he's a decent AHL goalie. We have D'Orio and others as well. Jarry is a good trade chip, use it.
I'd rather have a goalie that can potentially compete with Murray for the starters job, rather than one that's content with being the backup. Competition is always good and I think it's essential. You never want your starter to be too comfortable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd rather have a goalie that can potentially compete with Murray for the starters job, rather than one that's content with being the backup. Competition is always good and I think it's essential. You never want your starter to be too comfortable.
Jarry has never, in any capacity, pushed Murray to be better or worse. DeSmith on the other hand, has pushed Murray to get back on track and has also afforded him the time to sort his shit out.

So at this point in time, my valuation is more in favor of what CDS brings to the table and in doing so, puts Jarry out to pasture via trade lands.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Jarry has never, in any capacity, pushed Murray to be better or worse. DeSmith on the other hand, has pushed Murray to get back on track and has also afforded him the time to sort his **** out.

So at this point in time, my valuation is more in favor of what CDS brings to the table and in doing so, puts Jarry out to pasture via trade lands.
That's why I said potentially. Also, Jarry played great in his short time in Pittsburgh. I don't understand why you think he wouldn't at least make a good backup. He wasn't playing starter's minutes and still did well.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's why I said potentially. Also, Jarry played great in his short time in Pittsburgh. I don't understand why you think he wouldn't at least make a good backup. He wasn't playing starter's minutes and still did well.
I don't know if you actually saw those games if you thought he did well.

Jarry had some good moments, but you can clearly tell he needs to play in WBS where he has that season where he's just flat out dominant and is a man playing among boys in that league. That hasn't come yet. The closest he came was his 2nd year in WBS. Since then, he looked decent in 2017-18 but looked like he had endurance problems and he addressed that as well with claims of needing to work on his conditioning, oddly enough since then he's been pretty mediocre at best the last year after he was supposed to build on that.

Goalies are like defensemen, some stand out right away, but most take around the age of 24+ to really hit their stride and get closer to being a starter.

The issue is, Murray is literally a year older and is the franchise goalie, he's 25yrs old and has a lot of time left. Jarry would need to go god mode in the AHL to ever replace him and he just never has and he hasn't even really been better than DeSmith in his time in the NHL either.

So you're really clouding your judgement on the potential of Jarry and the 2017-18 season where he looked good for a good portion of his starts. But since then, not so much, while DeSmith has been a stable back-up in that same span of time.

Jarry really needed to push DeSmith out of a job this past season and failed to do so. I like Jarry, but I also know we have Murray (25) and DeSmith (27) and now Larmi and D'Orio...

JR can trade from this position of strength to rid ourselves of a bad contract and add a pick or prospect we can use.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I still think we should be shopping Jarry. He's a tasty target for a few teams that have no real future goalie in their pipeline. Adding him to a deal can be the difference to getting back something very good in return or dumping something bad and getting a decent return because of it.

Murray is very young, DeSmith is a decent age as well and the Pens have no reason to worry about any future goalie in the system for a very long time. Adding guys like this, doesn't hurt either to keep filling the pool.

Except Jarry doesn't really have much or any trade value, but would likely be as serviceable as DeSmith in a back-up role. DeSmith does have trade value but is more reliable than Jarry if Murray gets hurt again. If Murray can stay healthy DeSmith is the better goalie to trade, as he might get you a decent pick or at least a B level prospect. Jarry at best will get a late pick or D level prospect.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I could see either San Jose or Vegas being interested in Jarry but I don't think the return will be high, like a late pick at most. He's like buying a scratch-off ticket for them.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

RSPens

May 25, 2015
well. i guess my heart mihght have recovered after the MAF years, so i declare myself ready for another spin!
I have seen Larmi play couple of years in my favorite team. To describe his style I would say he is like a magician in drugs. It's quite a ride to see him play and it is a lot to say, when thinking how goaltenders become like robots. He is like wildchild on net and have very aggressive style. In Liiga he have let more softies than anybody else, but same time he have made more game savers than anybody else. Many times he make me cry when he goes behind the net and play poorly puck and opponent score because of that. It happens often. But same time to see his game saving skills. He is aggressive and challenge the shooter. He is amazing in brakeaways and shootouts. In playoffs he didn't let even one brake away and shootout goal. Did I mentioned that he played those play-offs with one knee?

If I have to compare him to some other goalie I would say Tim Thomas. Both small and aggressive guys. Of course I don't say that he would be in his level, but Larmi is maybe one of the hardest worker goalie we have seen.

He sounds an awful lot like MAF. MAF can be an adventure when he's out of the net, but is also very reliable on shootouts and breakaways. MAF sounds like he is a little more technical, but based on the above description, Larmi must be very athletic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad