Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Emil Larmi to a two-year, entry-level contract

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We’re really digging into the Finnish League for talent ... hopefully we have the same commitment in other Euro leagues and in Russia

Reactions: Trade

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Should be good enough to split time with D'Orio next season.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Trust me as a Finn who follows Liiga, he is nothing to write home about, yet! He might be a steal. There is potential. He is cool, calm and collected.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I still think we should be shopping Jarry. He's a tasty target for a few teams that have no real future goalie in their pipeline. Adding him to a deal can be the difference to getting back something very good in return or dumping something bad and getting a decent return because of it.

Murray is very young, DeSmith is a decent age as well and the Pens have no reason to worry about any future goalie in the system for a very long time. Adding guys like this, doesn't hurt either to keep filling the pool.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think D'Orio spends most of next season with Wheeling. I think it will be Larmi and a veteran AHLer like Leighton or Peters in WBS next year.

That would be the safer option which means that's probably the way they'll go. Certainly not the end of the world to have D'Orio spend most of his first year in Wheeling.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This seems like a no risk acquisition of a young potentially NHL asset. Good move.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I like, I like.

According to one of my Finnish friends he just willed an above average team to a major upset...and the box scores back that up. Kärpät had a 3-2 series lead after finishing the regular season with 38 more regular season points than HPK (3 point format in Finland, but Kärpät still ran away with the regular season) only for Larmi to pitch a 27 save 1-0 Game 6 shutout and then allow only 1 on 32 in 75+ minutes in a Game 7 OT winner. .950 sv% overall in the Final. Damn. Probably the best he'll ever play, but hey, any time you get the chance to add a 22 year-old who just did that without having to spend an asset, you do it.

I still think we should be shopping Jarry. He's a tasty target for a few teams that have no real future goalie in their pipeline. Adding him to a deal can be the difference to getting back something very good in return or dumping something bad and getting a decent return because of it.

Murray is very young, DeSmith is a decent age as well and the Pens have no reason to worry about any future goalie in the system for a very long time. Adding guys like this, doesn't hurt either to keep filling the pool.

Jarry being dealt at the 2019 Draft has felt like a slow-motion inevitability for a while now. There's no way we're carrying 3 goalies with our cap situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance and Peat

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Goalies usually take longer to develop, so, acquiring a 22-year-old who just had a great playoff run is a good thing. At worst, he doesn't work out and goes back to Finland, at best he becomes the back-up in a year or two.

"Free" assets are always good. Low risk, medium/high reward.

Good job.

His talent has been known in Finland for a couple of years already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad