Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Cody Ceci, 1 Year $1.25M AAV

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Its not about the 1 year, or the 1.25 in lost cap.

Its just as we've been saying here. Just as the headline on Pensburgh says: Rutherford and co. just dont learn. Or they just dont want to learn. We're already carrying the cap hit stigma of getting rid of JJ. We've already lost picks and players getting rid of bad deals. But here we are, trying it again, because this time they think they will get it right. At this point, the arrogance and the refusal to change behavior is worthy of getting the sack.

It's been three years of these experiments on D since Schultz and Daley. You know it wont be a case of "he isnt performing, just sit him"

I like TVR and I like him at 800k but he also looked pretty busted up last season. He kinda looked like Melichar with his one shoulder just kind of permanently hunched over. Don’t think he’s healthy.

What about Hutton, Koekkoek or Rutta? I would've probably been happier with all of them, assuming we absolutely had to sign a D man.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
A guy with a name like Slater Koekkoek(Kookoo) would be a Yinzer god.

Good player too.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Its not about the 1 year, or the 1.25 in lost cap.

Its just as we've been saying here. Just as the headline on Pensburgh says: Rutherford and co. just dont learn. Or they just dont want to learn. We're already carrying the cap hit stigma of getting rid of JJ. We've already lost picks and players getting rid of bad deals. But here we are, trying it again, because this time they think they will get it right. At this point, the arrogance and the refusal to change behavior is worthy of getting the sack.

It's been three years of these experiments on D since Schultz and Daley. You know it wont be a case of "he isnt performing, just sit him

I wouldn't call Daley a reclamation project or experiment. He just didn't fit in Chicago for some reason but did well before that.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
That said we should be more concerned about Matheson performing well and fitting in the top 4 than we should be worried about Ceci in a bottom 6. We're counting on Matheson fitting on this team. The positive is they are both 26. Outside Letang, this is a young Defense

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
200.gif

Something, something depth...

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Cici for what they will ask of him should be OK. I really don;t have any issue with the level of commitment. The commitment to Matheson to me is key to this D. If he can play the expected 20 minutes and be a solid PMD that is a big plus. He, Cici, also buys time for the new D men in WB to gain experience playing pro hockey.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’m not sure how JR can have three reclamation projects on his team now and think that’s a good idea if he truly wants to build a contender.

This is JR though, so common sense doesn’t apply, I get that. However, I still find it odd and somewhat comical he can’t seem to learn from his mistakes.

He is kind of like that alcoholic uncle you keep hoping will learn his lesson and get into rehab, but he keeps falling back into his destructive ways again and again.

Why can't he learn from his positives?

I mean analytically and the eye test at the beginning wasn't perfect but he made necessary changes for proven players with a lot of things that checked off the lists being proven players.

It really questions whether they are really serious or just trying to get by.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The writer is acting like he's going to play in the top 4 and already penciled him in with Matheson. I don't think they will be a pair unless there are injuries. I'm almost sure he's just playing mostly in the bottom 6, which he should be better there and not getting the tougher matchups he had in the past.

JJ was on the bottom pair in the playoffs, how did that work out?

Remember how the Pens exploited bottom pairing blueliners to help them win b2b cups?

JR and his scouts aren’t learning their lessons, which is again why this is a troublesome signing.

Unlike with the JJ signing, I’m quite familiar with CC and he’s a train wreck.

Ya he can turn it around I guess, but now you have two guys you are counting on to rebound and another to take over as your third pivot.

When your plan is for all these guys to rebound and help make you a contender, it tells me the GM doesn’t have a sound strategy.

Why can't he learn from his positives?

I mean analytically and the eye test at the beginning wasn't perfect but he made necessary changes for proven players with a lot of things that checked off the lists being proven players.

It really questions whether they are really serious or just trying to get by.

Because this is more entertaining? I have no clue...

My wife asked me last weekend if I was happy JR didn’t do anything stupid in FA and I literally said CC is still out there.

She said JR isn’t that stupid... right?

She had a good ol time teasing me yesterday and said I should be proud I called this...

My wife is the champ at getting under my skin.

Last edited:

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I am still waiting to hear anything about Ceci's game that indicates he might turn it around with us after years of sucking. All people cite is that he will play less and be sheltered but I have heard nothing about his actual ability to be better than he has been. The move being no risk is not really a defense if there is no upside.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
There is no real risk.

If he plays bad dont keep playing him. If he is generally competent you have improved your depth.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Songs for a Sunday morning

But they say the sky's the limit
And to JR that's really true
But my friend we’ve have seen nothin'
Just wait 'til Ceci gets through
Because he’s bad, he’s bad, come on (bad, bad, really, really bad)
And the whole world has to
Answer right now
Just to tell you once again
Ceci’s bad

maxresdefault.jpg

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Because this is more entertaining? I have no clue...

My wife asked me last weekend if I was happy JR didn’t do anything stupid in FA and I literally said CC is still out there.

She said JR isn’t that stupid... right?

She had a good ol time teasing me yesterday and said I should be proud I called this...

My wife is the champ at getting under my skin.

Sometimes no move or signing is the best recourse. Making moves to just get something done (before everyone else) is a sign of desperation.

I can live with the Kapanen trade, but augmenting it with how he got rid of Hornqvist is a clear step backwards, and compounding it adding Ceci. Jankowski is a safe signing and Rodrigues is not. Just way too many question marks. Only one thing is a clear cut upgrade to me and that's Kap. Everything else is a wait and see.

Oh, just get a no championship since 1967 Leaf banner and install over the front door, or whatever door you go out each day (Garage?) and make sure you you reference it daily by giving it a tap on your way out.:naughty:

I'd never take the high road....It's on...

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Songs for a Sunday morning

But they say the sky's the limit
And to JR that's really true
But my friend we’ve have seen nothin'
Just wait 'til Ceci gets through
Because he’s bad, he’s bad, come on (bad, bad, really, really bad)
And the whole world has to
Answer right now
Just to tell you once again
Ceci’s bad

maxresdefault.jpg

Using a child molester is fitting.... Blame it on the Boogie, Smooth Criminal....

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sometimes no move or signing is the best recourse. Making moves to just get something done (before everyone else) is a sign of desperation.

I can live with the Kapanen trade, but augmenting it with how he got rid of Hornqvist is a clear step backwards, and compounding it adding Ceci. Jankowski is a safe signing and Rodrigues is not. Just way too many question marks. Only one thing is a clear cut upgrade to me and that's Kap. Everything else is a wait and see.

Oh, just get a no championship since 1967 Leaf banner and install over the front door, or whatever door you go out each day (Garage?) and make sure you you reference it daily by giving it a tap on your way out.:naughty:

I'd never take the high road....It's on...

Just let the cap grow and go with what you have for now.

It’s mind numbing that he can’t help himself with these retreads (all because it worked out with Daley and Hags for a couple seasons).

Like you said and I’ve been harping on, when you count on several retreads bouncing back, it’s way more likely to not work than catch lightning in a bottle.

And ya, I go pretty easy on my wife. She’s painfully aware of the Leafs streak.

She said she’s my good luck charm since the Pens and Steelers have won five championships starting the first year we began dated.

I try not to rub in my good fortune with sports, but I was tempted yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The on ice risk in having to possibly insulate Matheson to having to insulate Ceci too.... possibly playing them together....gd JR.

Like is a possible Matheson-Ceci going to be any better than JJ-Schultz?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
They like to keep 8 D.

So the choices were

ruh and Trotman for 1.4 million

or

Ruh and Ceci for 1.95 million

Even if you legit believe that option A is a better choice (and i dont see how but thats a whole different point) i cant imagine how 500k is worth getting this bent out of shape over.

Reactions: TySmith4Norris

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just let the cap grow and go with what you have for now.

It’s mind numbing that he can’t help himself with these retreads (all because it worked out with Daley and Hags for a couple seasons).

Like you said and I’ve been harping on, when you count on several retreads bouncing back, it’s way more likely to not work than catch lightning in a bottle.

And ya, I go pretty easy on my wife. She’s painfully aware of the Leafs streak.

She said she’s my good luck charm since the Pens and Steelers have won five championships starting the first year we began dated.

I try not to rub in my good fortune with sports, but I was tempted yesterday.

Here's a harmless one. Take a pillow cover and write: "Thanks honey, for all the ribbing over the years...(You'll need to take a pic of you peeing) and have you imposed peeing on a pile of leaves or you can actually do that and take a pick) and impose the leafs logo on the pile. Then have that put on the pillow case and change hers out for it. Get in bed first and snicker 'til the cows come home.

Hell, get a video of it and make a gif with the Leafs go and make it her screen saver and lock her out from changing it.

I'm/you're not a bad person, she started it, and I'm not gonna take it. No, we're not gonna take it, anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad