Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Chris Kunitz to 3 year extension ($3.85M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I'll just discuss the last point because if I'm moving the goal posts, so are you.

I cannot be moving the goal post as my argument remains the same, that signing Dupuis was wrong for this team. You and before you Ogrezilla give new arguments as to why that isn't so, and I try to counter them as they're made.

Not every player wants to sign in Pittsburgh, and I have already expressed why it probably wasn't the best idea to extend a big deal to Horton. Shero would probably give him 3-5 years not at the money he was looking for. Why take that when Columbus gave him years and money? As much as you think I'm making things up, so are you.

I am not saying every player wants to come here nor that it had to be Horton - nor am I complaining that it wasn't. The only reason I mentioned his name was Ogre claiming that no better winger than Kunitz or Dupuis was signed in free agency. I find that very off, and I mention Horton because he is definitely better than Dupuis and particularly because he is much more what we need, what we have too little off, what will help us more come playoff time etc.

Shero should have extended Dupuis. Dupuis is a good hockey player and he can help this team win. Period.

We will agree to disagree. I think it is plain wrong to have him with Sid AND Kunitz and I would certainly prefer Kunitz who was also extended before Dupuis was. As Dupuis should never ever play with Malkin, that means he should be a third liner on this team, and this is not a team that should give 3.75 million to a 34 year old third liner.
Those are the reason I don't think Dupuis should have been re-signed. Not because he hasn't earned that kind of contract but because we should not be the ones to give to him. Just like it was right not to extend Malone or Talbot at the money they got, and how pretty much everyone here agreed at the time that of course we shouldn't give Scuderi 3.4 million either. Just like I was fully happy Staal refused 6 million rather than have him take up that much cap space or force some Malkin to wing insanity etc. All of them good players deserving of the money they got.

Not re-signing Dupuis would have been smart for the same reasons it will be smart not to re-sign Niskanen who has certainly done nothing not to merit his dollars or space on the team. He just isn't what we NEED and we'd be better allocating our cap-room otherwise, IMO. Same goes for Orpik now, to an extent, only we do need the elements he brings and there will be some uncertainty as to whether the young guys will bring enough of that right of the bat.

Sid has spoken numerous times about how he, Kunitz, and Dupuis have great chemistry and they feed off one another, and that over the years has been evident.

I just lend zero credence to Sid's politeisms. Whenever things go well he is being asked to explain why that line is so effective and then he gives a positive answer where credit is shared. I have never seen him asked whether he thinks someone else on the team would work better with him on the top line, or whether he thinks it could be beneficial to try something else in light of the lines struggles against the best defensive sides. I assume you haven't either.

I do lend credence to both Bylsma and Dupuis mentioning their conversation right after Iginla was signed, where Bylsma told Dupuis that he would still stay the 1st line right winger. I doubt there was a soul other than Rob Rossi in the hockey world who did not find that inconceivably weird.

The organization has a top 6 winger ready for duty, and the coaching staff is ****ing it up royally. That's the bud of the issue. We can go back and forth and talk about how Shero shouldn't have signed Dupuis though.

Well, if we agree that we have Bennett ready and Jussi Jokinen has many obvious top6 qualities Dupuis does not, then it stands to reason that it is weird not to have a look-see as to how that might work in reality with Sid. Be it in a series where we simply couldn't score as against Boston, or at the start of the season where experiments should be a given.

And in terms of Kunitz, this is who he is. He has these bouts and has had them numerous times in Pittsburgh. He will snap out of it. I'm sure of it. Much like Dupuis, it would be silly not to sign a guy capable of goal totals in the 20's and 50-60 points a year for under 4 million.

I have never argued the Kunitz signing as being wrong. I was and am in favor.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/horton-wasnt-going-wait-around-bruins

I believe 'wanting to go a place where my kids can play outside' does not really imply that Pittsburgh was not an option. Just saying.

As for the Crosby decides stuff.... with the often completely wrong/useless sidekicks Malkin has had, how come there are no such arguments for him? I mean, he is only our highest paid player, twice Art Ross + one time Conn Smythe winner, and we did not really doubt that he had clout when Therrien talked of sitting him and Malkin made clear that this meant a flight to Russia as far as he was concerned.

DB decides the lines. There is NOTHING to suggest otherwise, and even if there was, it would be on him to do the right thing just the same.

DB decides Malkin's line. He's the ultimate 'thank you sir, may I have another' player, and Bylsma has no problem giving him another paddle straight up his . . . well, you follow.

But, I cannot fathom that Sid doesn't have any input whatsoever on his line. The only alternative is that Bylsma is THAT dumb.

O'k, I don't know what to think anymore. :cry:

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Dupuis should be on the 3rd line...no one doubts this.

Ray Shero doubts this as he wouldnt of signed an aging player like him for a 4 mill a year 4 year contract if it were intended on the 3rd line.

Unless the no one doubts this was in reference to this thread then yes.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Ray Shero doubts this as he wouldnt of signed an aging player like him for a 4 mill a year 4 year contract if it were intended on the 3rd line.

He offered Staal $6 million to play on the 3rd line.

I don't see how there should be some automatic pay drop off after the 1st and 2nd lines. Most 3rd liners play practically as much.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I don't think Shero signed him to play a particular line. I think Shero signed him because he came at a decent price, and brings a great deal of flexibility and scoring depth.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
DB decides Malkin's line. He's the ultimate 'thank you sir, may I have another' player, and Bylsma has no problem giving him another paddle straight up his . . . well, you follow.

But, I cannot fathom that Sid doesn't have any input whatsoever on his line. The only alternative is that Bylsma is THAT dumb.

Either Sid's dumb or Bylsma's dumb. Sid probably has the approach that "hey, these are they players we have, and I know how to play with certain ones. I know Dupuis' and Kunitz' games very well, so I'm fine playing with them." I highly doubt that he asks Bylsma to put Kunitz and Dupuis on his line.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Crosby likes playing with Kunitz and Dupuis, even if it isn't the best combination for the team. Where Bylsma is at fault for this is because he's the coach and he should dictate the lines, not Crosby.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think Sid likes playing with Kunitz and Dupuis with his linemates because of how many times the team has tried to change his linemates and it hurt him trying to have chemistry. He's comfortable, I understand why he wants the same wingers, it's a comfort thing.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
I don't think Shero signed him to play a particular line. I think Shero signed him because he came at a decent price, and brings a great deal of flexibility and scoring depth.

I don't see that being a great price for the age and term of contract. There also isnt much flexibility when the only use is next to Crosby. Either Shero is completely oblivious to what Bylsma does or he's completely supportive of it. People keep wanting to blame Bylsma but not make the man at the top take any responsibility.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
I think Sid likes playing with Kunitz and Dupuis with his linemates because of how many times the team has tried to change his linemates and it hurt him trying to have chemistry. He's comfortable, I understand why he wants the same wingers, it's a comfort thing.

I think he's just overly superstitious to the point where he doesnt like change in routines. Anyways, he isnt the coach or the GM and shouldnt be the one deciding his line. Especially when it's shown to have failed over and over in the playoffs.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Growing up in minor hockey and jr crosby always had certain players that he played with, they weren't always the most talented guys but I guess he was comfortable with them. I know the NHL isn't minor hockey but I think the same thing is happening with dupuis and Kunitz.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
"I'm comfortable with them, but I'm fine playing with anyone" sure sounds like a demand to me :shakehead

I said it before, but did Sid also tell Bylsma to take Iggy off the first powerplay unit? Did Sid tell him to scratch Despres and Bennett in the playoffs?

I don't get why we're blaming the coach's idiocy on a player. Dan is that stubborn sometimes, and there's actual evidence that he promised Dupuis that spot.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't see that being a great price for the age and term of contract. There also isnt much flexibility when the only use is next to Crosby. Either Shero is completely oblivious to what Bylsma does or he's completely supportive of it. People keep wanting to blame Bylsma but not make the man at the top take any responsibility.

His only use is next to Crosby? Dupuis has produced irregardless of who his linemates were over the last 2 years. He can play in a top 6 role, in a checking role, is great on the PK, brings leadership, energy, and physicality. You're selling the guy way short.

Shero did nothing wrong re-signing Dupuis. It was a good decision.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
His only use is next to Crosby? Dupuis has produced irregardless of who his linemates were over the last 2 years. He can play in a top 6 role, in a checking role, is great on the PK, brings leadership, energy, and physicality. You're selling the guy way short.

The only problem with this is that we all know DB will not break up KCD. Hell Shero went out and got one of the best RWs of this generation an DB ****ing put him on Geno's LW to keep KCD together.

The Dupuis signing along with the DB extension, was his mistake. That's not even considering the cap hit and term he gave Duper.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think he's just overly superstitious to the point where he doesnt like change in routines. Anyways, he isnt the coach or the GM and shouldnt be the one deciding his line. Especially when it's shown to have failed over and over in the playoffs.

If he's overly superstitious, then perhaps he should remember that the last time he had a huge (or even good) impact against a top defensive team in the playoffs was when he had a highly skilled winger who could make a play on his own and create/take advantage of what Sid creates . . . 2008 against the Rangers and then Detroit. 2009 Detroit? 2010 Montreal? 2013 Boston?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If he's overly superstitious, then perhaps he should remember that the last time he had a huge (or even good) impact against a top defensive team in the playoffs was when he had a highly skilled winger who could make a play on his own and create/take advantage of what Sid creates . . . 2008 against the Rangers and then Detroit. 2009 Detroit? 2010 Montreal? 2013 Boston?

Superstitions aren't rational, so it doesn't not make sense. :laugh:

Therapy for the whole team, Crosby's, "superstitions," Bylsma's complexes, Fleury's meltdowns, Shero for being an enabler, etc.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Superstitions aren't rational, so it doesn't not make sense. :laugh:

Therapy for the whole team, Crosby's, "superstitions," Bylsma's complexes, Fleury's meltdowns, Shero for being an enabler, etc.

Have we at long last a plot and characters for Slap Shot II? :laugh:

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho

Why after all these years do you still seem to think that Dupuis will be used in any other way besides next to Crosby? They freaking traded a 1st round pick and a prospect to get Jarome freaking Iginla and even that wasnt enough to pry him out of that spot.

Dupuis signed at his cap hit for his term means he is Crosby's winger for that duration of time. There is absolutely nothing that Bylsma has done to indicate otherwise and past experience backs that up wholeheartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad