Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Chris Kunitz to 3 year extension ($3.85M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Penguins have agreed to a three-year contract extension with LW Chris Kunitz.

https://twitter.com/MolinariPG/status/350227911082651649

Person familiar with Kunitz deal says his salary will be "a bit more than current but less than $4 million" against salary cap.

https://twitter.com/MolinariPG/status/350228229812006912

Cap hit for Kunitz's new contract will be $3.85 million.

https://twitter.com/MolinariPG/status/350230429690892288

Last edited:

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Did not see that coming!

Glad to have him here. We know he works with both centers and he's a perfect fit as the 3rd wheel with Neal and Bennett as the primary wingers.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
i guess its nice.

Cant help feeling we have more pressing matters to attend to tho. This could surely have waited a week or two.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I read that they were keeping Kunitz in mind while negotiating with Cooke and Dupuis about term. For both Dupuis and Cooke, term is more important than money, so maybe Shero can re-sign them on 3 year deals also.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I swear this already happened for some reason. For that price and what wingers are getting - ****ing rights. I love it.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Fantastic deal. Kunitz stood to make quite a bit more in free agency next summer if he kept up a similar pace to the past two years. Especially with the cap likely going back up after the upcoming season. And we know that he is a solid complement for either Crosby or Malkin as (hopefully) the third wheel on either line.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Not bad though don't know if he can keep up his current performance level for 4 more years. But you have to think this plays in to the Dupuis talks in some way. Pressure him to take 3 years also?

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Not bad though don't know if he can keep up his current performance level for 4 more years. But you have to think this plays in to the Dupuis talks in some way. Pressure him to take 3 years also?

I don't think it would be pressure, probably makes the negotiations easier. It's been noted that Shero doesn't like signing players in their mid 30's to a contract more than 2 years. Dupuis and Cooke want term, offering them 3 year deals instead of 2 could be more enticing for them.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I would have preferred for management to see what he has left after the current contract expired. He is 34 and that is when things may start breaking down. I believe he had one more year and I would have waited. Even if he had a very good year, the question is who would sign him for three more years for more money than that anyway. Shero lost some major points with me extending Bylsma. This was IMHO a questionable move at this point. Plus with out Crosby he clearly isn't someone who elevated his game.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
i guess its nice.

Cant help feeling we have more pressing matters to attend to tho. This could surely have waited a week or two.

Huh? We know that he's talking to Cooke, Letang and Dupuis. And he just qualified our RFA's.

Please don't act like Shero's sitting on his ass unless Rossi is reporting that he's not.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I would have preferred for management to see what he has left after the current contract expired. He is 34 and that is when things may start breaking down. I believe he had one more year and I would have waited. Even if he had a very good year, the question is who would sign him for three more years for more money than that anyway. Shero lost some major points with me extending Bylsma. This was IMHO a questionable move at this point. Plus with out Crosby he clearly isn't someone who elevated his game.

At under 4 million cap hit Chris Kunitz easily movable if needed to. He would bring back something decent as well(if we have to go there)

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
yes, you should only ever negotiate with one player at a time.

:shakehead

Why? Why not make an offer to all of them (cap friendly) and see who is on board and who is not? We know he met with Letang and Dupuis as well, so I'm sure he made offers and is waiting for them to answer.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ

Did you see what he did playing with Geno? He works GREAT with either center. Tie him up now at a great price or wait? Glad to see GMRS got this one nailed down.

Why? Why not make an offer to all of them (cap friendly) and see who is on board and who is not? We know he met with Letang and Dupuis as well, so I'm sure he made offers and is waiting for them to answer.

Pretty sure his comment was sarcasm to the post he quoted.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I actually don't like this move at all. Like Kunitz but how was this necessary at all? Just wait a year and go from there, maybe try to get him for 2 years. It was hardly imperative for Shero to lock him up past his 37th birthday.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Great caphit. A bit concerned about term. He's 33 right now so he would be 37 when the deal expires. If the cap continues to rise, it should even out as he can be an effective 3rd liner near the end of the deal if health becomes an issue. Overall, great deal. Now we effectively have 5 of our top 6 pieces locked up for 4 more years:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
xxx-Malkin-Neal

Great place to start. Now I hope they let Duper walk and bring in another body to shake things up. Re-sign Cooke or go after Clutterbuck.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Quick question and then I'll descend back to my lair: is this considered a 35+ contract since it kicks in when he's 35 (presumably - I haven't looked up his birthday or anything). Or since the extension was signed when he's 34, do we avoid that? May explain them getting it done ahead of time.

EDIT: nevermind, he's 33. Anyway, great cap-hit which was probably in return for an extra year. I'm fine with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad