Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread XVI: Marching to the TDL Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Klingberg would also severely help the powerplay and the transition game more than Marino and Ruhwedel can and that's our right side depth that Sully loves to use btw.

Not good at all.

Also he performs very well in the playoffs. He has a lot of smarts in his game, hockey sense if you will. Something that if Matheson had more of, would be a #1 D.

Some stars insiders said they offered him 7.5x7, camp thinks closer to 8-9x9 and Greely feels 8.5x7 is what it'll be.

For a defenseman like Klingberg? That's a deal worth making. He's just 29.
He'll be 30 at the time the contract kicks in. Hard to say if it's worth it definitively. We can't see the future.
7-9 years is very risky. I don't like the math for the team that does it. Seen plenty of those types of contracts which fan bases bitch about for years.

I agree he'd help the PP if/when we lose Letang in the summer. His skill there is undeniable. But don't expect him to be the one shooting and scoring himself. 1 goal in 29 games this year, and his shot totals are trending downwards 3 years straight.

The good news is that he has played better defense in the past, but that was a while ago. It's possible a good blue line coach like Reirden can clean him up. He definitely has for Matheson. So there is some hope there.

Yes, it's also true he's produced in the playoffs in 2 of his 3 appearances. That came at a cost though. The year he had 21 points he was a -5. He had 36 giveaways over that run. This year is just horrible in that regard too. He has 3 takeaways and 28 giveaways. So he's way more irresponsible with the puck than Letang during even his worst defensive years.

I don't see him as any kind of replacement for Letang, especially with how much wiser 58 plays these days. Last game was a circus, yeah, but that's hardly the standard.

Klingberg here would make board members rip out locks of their remaining hair.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It doesn't bother me that this board can correctly recognize that skaters can do other things on the ice aside from scoring points.
Uh huh. And what is he doing on the ice exactly?

A lot of guys on this team do a lot of things and also occasionally put the puck in the net. I want more guys like that. I'm not even saying DOC won't be one of those guys. I'm just saying he hasn't shown that yet and should not be handed a roster spot for next year.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, if we want to have a dumb statwatch about it, in the grandest HF tradition, Zohorna is beating the pants off of DOC and like 75% of the roster.

That's the beautiful thing about a sample size of 3 GP.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This season, O'Connor has basically been a 6'3" version of Simon: strong analytical player who struggles to produce but doesn't have any major flaws as a player. However, O'Connor is only 23 and has a strong track record of producing in leagues below the NHL, so I don't see a reason to be concerned with him.

If you want to talk specific analytics regarding O'Connor, what he brings right now is:

1. He shoots the puck an absolute ton. He's 2nd on the Penguins in shots/60 (only behind Guentzel), 1st in iCF/60 and 3rd in iHDCF/60.
2. When on the ice, the Penguins absolutely dominate with shot attempts. He's basically in the same position as Simon with that, his analytics are sparkling because they're just wildly outshooting the other teams when he's on the ice.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why do you feel that every player on the team needs to be able to score?
Jarry only has two assists this season. Should he have more?
A goalie is a little different than a turd like Simon, who has been playing on the third line recently. The guy has 1 goal in 2 years. That isn’t an NHL player. I’m a little confused as to why sleepy and sully haven’t at least tried Puus when there is room on our third line.

I’m not sure why Calgary and the rest of the league are able to see that Simon sucks but not Pittsburgh. It’s also extremely frustrating that this board downplayed signing Simon, saying he would barely play on the Pens - it was simply a depth signing.

Here we are…

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This season, O'Connor has basically been a 6'3" version of Simon: strong analytical player who struggles to produce but doesn't have any major flaws as a player. However, O'Connor is only 23 and has a strong track record of producing in leagues below the NHL, so I don't see a reason to be concerned with him.

If you want to talk specific analytics regarding O'Connor, what he brings right now is:

1. He shoots the puck an absolute ton. He's 2nd on the Penguins in shots/60 (only behind Guentzel), 1st in iCF/60 and 3rd in iHDCF/60.
2. When on the ice, the Penguins absolutely dominate with shot attempts. He's basically in the same position as Simon with that, his analytics are sparkling because they're just wildly outshooting the other teams when he's on the ice.
A 6'3" version of Simon is a fair comparison. The point I'm making is that Simon should and is only playing because there are injuries. DOC shouldn't be viewed any differently. He's young enough to change that, but until he does, that's how he should be viewed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
A 6'3" version of Simon is a fair comparison. The point I'm making is that Simon should and is only playing because there are injuries. DOC shouldn't be viewed any differently. He's young enough to change that, but until he does, that's how he should be viewed.

a team can’t really afford to have more than one player like Simon, DOC or ZAR in the lineup—you know, does a lot of good things but for the life of him can’t put the puck in the net…teams will just shade over to the other players and leave him wide open, knowing that their (even shitty) goalie can stop every shot lol….and you know which one will be in the lineup when healthy lol

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
a team can’t really afford to have more than one player like Simon, DOC or ZAR in the lineup—you know, does a lot of good things but for the life of him can’t put the puck in the net…teams will just shade over to the other players and leave him wide open, knowing that their (even shitty) goalie can stop every shot lol….and you know which one will be in the lineup when healthy lol
And the goal should be to not have any players like that regularly suiting up when healthy. Those guys are fine to have as depth pieces (although you'd want them to be cheaper than ZAR), but when you're filling out your roster for next year, you shouldn't be starting with those guys.

Reactions: Andy99

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
What is Rust likely seeking in a new deal ? 4 years 20,000,000 ( 5,000,000 per )

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What is Rust likely seeking in a new deal ? 4 years 20,000,000 ( 5,000,000 per )

reports are that he’s asking 6 years at $6 mil AAV….too rich for the Pens, but honestly his numbers the last three season support $6 mil or above…

Reactions: Trade

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
reports are that he’s asking 6 years at $6 mil AAV….too rich for the Pens, but honestly his numbers the last three season support $6 mil or above…
Wow 6 years 6,000,000 per Is there serious expectations he'll be traded before the deadline or Pittsburgh willing to keep him not resign and lose him after the season ?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Wow 6 years 6,000,000 per Is there serious expectations he'll be traded before the deadline or Pittsburgh willing to keep him not resign and lose him after the season ?

I’m guessing since we’re in PO position and he’s been producing, there’s no chance they’ll trade him before the deadline…will probably let him walk unless they can shed more salary and want to resign him…I see walking and/or resigning as more likely than trading him

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Let’s be serious, we always have injuries. The 13th forward is pretty much a starter here. You guys used the whole he will only play when we have injuries narrative, defending sleepy this summer. We are always injured, and he will almost always be in the lineup.

These low risk, low reward turd signings are blocking the few decent AHL guys we have. I was also told this wouldn’t happen this summer when he signed Boyle and Simon.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the easiest way to put pencilling DOC into the lineup is that a team with a metric shitload of high scoring players up for contract renewal and an increasing buyout cap hit is going to have to find savings somewhere, and shaving some off on cheap young kids on the farm vs finding more Danton Heinens will probably be part of that. Once you start counting the cheap players we've got around who can do that, DOC's name comes high up the list, dry spell or no.

Should he absolutely have that spot? No, even if he has a better second half of the season than the first it's not absolutely his... but as a pencil in, sure.

Would I prefer to have someone a bit more guaranteed for a bit more money in? Maybe, but

a) I can't find that potential player on Capfriendly. Daresay I'm missing a guy, but there's not tons of them out there
b) the bottom six next season is the place I'm happiest to cheap out on to start with next season. If you hand DOC a spot next season and he's not good enough, you just try the next guy. Less easy on every other spot of the roster, to state the obvious.

And to restate the obvious - we're cheaping out somewhere next season.

And yet lines with these guys on often score just fine. Blueger's line has more goals this season when ZAR is on ice than not. It's not the fatal flaw it's sometimes made out to be.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I’m guessing since we’re in PO position and he’s been producing, there’s no chance they’ll trade him before the deadline…will probably let him walk unless they can shed more salary and want to resign him…I see walking and/or resigning as more likely than trading him
this, but i hope they listen to offers just in case someone wants to overpay.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad