Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
This is absurd.
Not at all. I'd bet lofty money on it.

A better coached team has a better powerplay. Literally that single aspect of this year's team cost us a spot in the 2/3 seed. The metro is not deep.

A better coached team does not have teams that have league leading goals against after scoring / unsafe third periods. Again, higher seeding.

Sully had lost 5 straight first rounds. His tactics this year were literally carbon copies. He can't get production from the bottom 6, the power play, or the defense. A better coach can - and the players we have have shown that elsewhere.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
But on the topic of speed - as I've said for years now folks need to get off that ship. It has SAILED. Geno doesn't even utilize speedy wingers. He plays east west and needs a heavy shot to feed. Sid is literally the only forward on the team that generates offense with a semblance of speed - and even he is average by today's standards. Rust plays with horse blinders and can't hit a net let alone a fellow player once he gets his head of steam, and Poehling is a bottom 6er who flies but might generate 1 goal every 10 games. Idk what this obsession is with speed 7 years later. Think about that. Sid Geno are 7 years older than they were... AND the rest of the league caught up.

Should be targeting guys that fit a Sid Geno team. Every other team is looking for speed too- so it ain't a buyers market. You're not going to poach any great speedy wingers when everyone in the store is hunting for them.. but you just might grab some talent that suits us, but not them.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
@Flying Dego f***ing hell man! I wanted to lose that one.
He just faded down the stretch. 2 points in last 7. :(
Still a hell of a season from him. So many ES goals.

We should make a new bet next season.
It was one of the only enjoyments to watch this season. Absolutely. Let's see what players we have to make next year entertaining as we continue our burn.

tnnr

Feb 19, 2023
Any chance Carter retires?

Here's the skeleton for the off-season
I think it's unlikely Granlund gets moved unless its for another bad contract. I'm assuming he'll be back as the 3C

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
XXXXX- Malkin - XXXXX
XXXXX - Granlund - Rust
DOC - Poehling - XXXXX

XXXX - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Ruutta

XXXXX
XXXXX

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

I think it's unlikely Granlund gets moved unless its for another bad contract. I'm assuming he'll be back as the 3C

XXXXX- Malkin - XXXXX
XXXXX - Granlund - Rust
DOC - Poehling - XXXXX

XXXX - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Ruutta

XXXXX
XXXXX
There's a chance, but the only way they get the cap relief is if it's due to injury.
A strong argument can be made that it's better to just eat the 3.125M to have someone else play though.
He's likely only gonna get worse, so...

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Not at all. I'd bet lofty money on it.

A better coached team has a better powerplay. Literally that single aspect of this year's team cost us a spot in the 2/3 seed. The metro is not deep.

A better coached team does not have teams that have league leading goals against after scoring / unsafe third periods. Again, higher seeding.

Sully had lost 5 straight first rounds. His tactics this year were literally carbon copies. He can't get production from the bottom 6, the power play, or the defense. A better coach can - and the players we have have shown that elsewhere.
Please tell me how a different coach makes Jeff Carter play like its 2012, Granlund not suck, Petry not get hurt, & Jarry be somewhat consistent.

XXXXX- Malkin - XXXXX
XXXXX - Granlund - Rust
DOC - Poehling - XXXXX

XXXX - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Ruutta

XXXXX
XXXXX
They don't get cap relief if Carter retires since he is on a 35+ contract.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There's a chance, but the only way they get the cap relief is if it's due to injury.
A strong argument can be made that it's better to just eat the 3.125M to have someone else play though.
He's likely only gonna get worse, so...
Brainstorm: have everyone just gun slapshots at Carter's feet non-stop from training camp until he's LTIR'd. Repeat as necessary.

Then again, we'd need some real shooters on the team.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Talking about this in the draft thread, but I'd be open for a real gamble by letting a rookie take the 3C if we drafted someone like Dvorský who has good defensive awareness but also has better offensive instincts than what our bottom 6 currently has. But the issues with Dvorský are:

1) Euro
2) Rookie
3) Skating could possibly use work (it's hard to tell with the bigger ice and the Swedish game how much of an issue it really is, IMO)

Which means that our current coaching staff would absolutely misuse him.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Talking about this in the draft thread, but I'd be open for a real gamble by letting a rookie take the 3C if we drafted someone like Dvorský who has good defensive awareness but also has better offensive instincts than what our bottom 6 currently has. But the issues with Dvorský are:

1) Euro
2) Rookie
3) Skating could possibly use work (it's hard to tell with the bigger ice and the Swedish game how much of an issue it really is, IMO)

Which means that our current coaching staff would absolutely misuse him.
I hope whoever we draft isn’t ready to play until Sully is gone. That dumbass will groom the player to play like Rust or Chad R. He’s not been known to be patient with young players. He will absolutely destroy the guy.
We will have another Poulin on our team.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think the underlying Sully issues will probably remain, but we should at least make the playoffs next year with better management. Despite all of Sully's flaws, I think we would have this year had Hexurke not bombed the trade deadline so badly.

But obviously once we get there it figures to be more of the same.
What does Hextal have to do with them losing to Chicago ? N let me answer that: Nothing! The team is flawed and Hextal should go, but getting in the playoffs in this miserable conference with 93 points was all on coaching staff

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
What does Hextal have to do with them losing to Chicago ? N let me answer that: Nothing! The team is flawed and Hextal should go, but getting in the playoffs in this miserable conference with 93 points was all on coaching staff

Right. We blew something like 20 3rd period leads. That's not on the GM.

Reactions: Rave7215

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Jason Zucker: "I love the group that we have. We have an awesome team, unbelievable group. It’s very disappointing not being in the playoffs right now. We got nobody to blame but ourselves. We didn't find the consistency we needed, and it ultimately hurt us."

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
@Flying Dego f***ing hell man! I wanted to lose that one.
He just faded down the stretch. 2 points in last 7. :(
Still a hell of a season from him. So many ES goals.

We should make a new bet next season.

It was one of the only enjoyments to watch this season. Absolutely. Let's see what players we have to make next year entertaining as we continue our burn.

Make a bet based on Rak. He's fun

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
This is absurd.

Not really a different coach plays players to their strength. As bad as the bottom 6 was. It was way better in the begining of the season.

If this team makes no deadline moves it probably makes the playoffs even with this turd of a coach.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Some UFA targets of mine: Barbashev, Compher, and Graves.
I like Barbashev. Think he’d even come relatively cheap for a top-6 player, like under 5 million per. Would work with Geno. Scores in a variety of ways. Physical. Not old.

Zucker’s old and his season was just too unsustainable and once those west coast offers come in he’s gone. We should just move on now.

Maybe Barbashev doesn’t score 27 but if he can get like 20, mostly at ES, for a million less, and make us harder to play against and better equipped for a playoff run that’s what we are looking for. And when his deal is wrapping up he’ll still be in his prime, unlike a 36 year old.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We should be hard after Compher…Geno and Sid aren’t going to play 82 games again lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad