Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Sept.(camp/pre-season) The New Normal - The horror, the horror...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
"We're gonna offer them more than we want, but less than they want, and we'll see what happens."

Hell yeah, bring on the chaos.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
FYI I listened to the PG’s Penguins podcast today and Mike DeFabo said he heard Malkin tore his ACL but Hextall wouldn’t confirm it so he didn’t report it…yikes, that’s why Inguess some people had Geno out until January…
Whatever it is...Geno needs to let it heal and not rush back. I hate how quickly some of the Pens players come back from bad injuries and they never look right the rest of that season. I also have zero respect for the Pens medical staff so there's that too.

But as for Letang. You deal our "core" aka 3 blokes - you are no longer all in. I don't think this team is all in right now either. The moves, what they lost, etc. It feels like they're sort of kind of half way in to wanting to make a serious run.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the assets from a Letang deal could retool this team easily. You are right that a rebuild would not be done with the assets we have.

Possible age related decline aside, Letang's not a part of this team that needs retooling as far as I can see and barring getting the exact right player in UFA, I struggle to see it as more than a lateral shake up.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still don't think we'll be saving much cap with the retirement deals for Geno and Letang. I'd be really shocked if Geno took like $2.5 million less than he's getting now (the silly $7.1 million figure I keep seeing), and Letang's arguably our best and most irreplaceable player at the moment who will be coming off of taking a big discount for his entire prime. If anything, his camp could play hardball and the team basically has to cave. GL icing a blueline without Letang, or working the GM gymnastics to trade him and find a new #1 for anything close to Letang's cap hit.

Think we'll end up around $16 million AAV or so for the two of them.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Malkin was playing to his contract for like less than 10 games last year and people want him resigned.

We need to walk away from that contract (which will be higher). But if I’m reading the room correctly penguins fans still the #71 is a star and maybe he’s signed to sell tickets. The fanbase who buys tickets are really fairweathered IMO. The city will always be a football town.

I’d prefer rebuilding the fly and walking away from favorite player/s.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I see both sides. No guarantee you do anything with the picks if you blow it up.

Conversely, you wait too long to rebuild you’re not gonna have any assets to sell and then it’s real long and real painful.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Possible age related decline aside, Letang's not a part of this team that needs retooling as far as I can see and barring getting the exact right player in UFA, I struggle to see it as more than a lateral shake up.

Hypothetically is this team worse with the below D..

Dumo - Klingberg 7.25 x 8
POJ - Marino
Matheson - Stetcher 3.25 x 3

vs

Dumo - Letang 8 x 3
POJ - Marino
Matheson - Friedman 2.5 x 2

And that’s without including the 1st, ++ we got for Letang.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure you're gonna get picks or prospects to make sense in any Geno or Letang deal. They're not cheap players, they're roughly 35 and have a ton of miles to their career, and whoever is gonna want to pay up to land them is gonna be a contender looking to get over that last hump toward the Cup--i.e. not getting high 1st round picks or premium prospects back.

Not really married to any player though from any respect/nostalgia/legacy angle.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hypothetically is this team worse with the below D..

Dumo - Klingberg 7.25 x 8
POJ - Marino
Matheson - Stetcher 3.25 x 3

vs

Dumo - Letang 8 x 3
POJ - Marino
Matheson - Friedman 2.5 x 2

Probably not but that's always the way. You're usually a better team if you can move your great guy and sign the one high end replacement in UFA. You rarely get to do it that way.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Regarding Malkin and Letang, Yohe said in a mailbag published today that Malkin will take "considerably less money" to finish his career in Pittsburgh. Letang is less likely to take a discount, largely because of the amount of money that has been going to defensemen lately.
Yohe mailbag: On Sidney Crosby's injury timeline, the Penguins' playoff chances and much more
That's basically what I see happening in all reality. I'm guessing Geno comes in at like $8 million or so, and Letang probably gets a slight raise to be right around $8 million as well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The only way I ever really see any of the big three leaving is if one (or more) of them go to the FO and ask to be dealt to a competitor. Mario won't sign off on Hextall or anyone else moving them, and I don't think Hextall's the kind of guy to initiate the "Hey, so, about going all-in on winning thing..." talk.

No real idea if Letang would want to chase another Cup elsewhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if Geno asked out to give it one final go at being the only Russian with 4 Cups somewhere that affords him a better chance at that. Though I expect all three to retire Penguins.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Very true. I dunno.

I think there's a pretty good argument for retooling aggressively and hoping to be back in two years - you get a Klingberg and accelerate, great, but you're not banking on it. But that's just not hockey mentality. And it's not happening here unless things go bad.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think there's a pretty good argument for retooling aggressively and hoping to be back in two years - you get a Klingberg and accelerate, great, but you're not banking on it. But that's just not hockey mentality. And it's not happening here unless things go bad.

I guess my point is what happens if Letang is demanding 9 mil and this team isn’t in playoff contention in January.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
yikes if it is Malkin's ACL we should actually legit keep him LTIR until the playoffs (and go get Eichel with the space)

No one at his age is under a year from surgery 100% and maybe not then. Didn't he tear his ACL in that same knee before or was that the other one?

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Whatever it is...Geno needs to let it heal and not rush back. I hate how quickly some of the Pens players come back from bad injuries and they never look right the rest of that season. I also have zero respect for the Pens medical staff so there's that too.

But as for Letang. You deal our "core" aka 3 blokes - you are no longer all in. I don't think this team is all in right now either. The moves, what they lost, etc. It feels like they're sort of kind of half way in to wanting to make a serious run.
Geno rush back? He may suit up in December for the first time.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
This one has reached over 40 pages. New thread:

Salary Cap: - Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Sept.(camp/pre-season) Centers? Nah, we dont need no centers!

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad