Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: October - We got Boyle! Yay....? But the season is starting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Window is already closed. Might as well pay the dudes to do their farewell concert tours for the next three years. And hell, they might just surprise us with some more success.

They can raise their sticks for the fans at center ice for a couple hundred more games.

If the team is no longer good, all of 87/71/58 will begin looking elsewhere. They want to win more than they want to bask in the nostalgia and adulation.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If the team is no longer good, all of 87/71/58 will begin looking elsewhere. They want to win more than they want to bask in the nostalgia and adulation.
I don’t think the team made any moves this summer to make the big three want to play out their careers here. We are even less physical, the goaltending remained the same, and we are likely not as good as we were at the conclusion of the playoffs last year. If they guys still want to win a cup, they will go elsewhere.

Ron Hextall is incapable of building a cup team. The second they hired him, they likely lost one of the big three.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don’t think the team made any moves this summer to make the big three want to play out their careers here. We are even less physical, the goaltending remained the same, and we are likely not as good as we were at the conclusion of the playoffs last year. If they guys still want to win a cup, they will go elsewhere.

Ron Hextall is incapable of building a cup team. The second they hired him, they likely lost one of the big three.

So dramatic lol

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
We should trade them for picks.

Hang onto them as long as you think you can win.

But if you miss the playoffs and you're staring down another season where you miss, fan/viewership numbers down, interest dwindling...do a conscious uncoupling (divorce) as graciously as possible. I think at least Geno & Kris would be fine with it to get to a real contender. We retain cap to increase the return.

Again, this is just a future scenario. Not an inevitability.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Window is already closed. Might as well pay the dudes to do their farewell concert tours for the next three years. And hell, they might just surprise us with some more success.

They can raise their sticks for the fans at center ice for a couple hundred more games.

And we should be damn grateful we were able to be alive to witness the history that we did. It was a fun couple decades.

Why is the window closed?

It’s not our fault we’ve had two teams in the 1st round that have had the most success in the last two playoffs in the East.

The Colorado Avalanche have beaten the Blues, Coyotes and Flames and are viewed as the cup favorites.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't need to spend the money at Center. You've said Forsberg. Maybe a D-man. Extend Carter 2 yrs, $9M as our 2C. Everyone hates Jarry; spend the money some great goalie. Etc.

Don't overpay people for s***s and giggles and because you're caught up in a certain position that they don't even play 40% of the time due to injury.

Luckily I think Geno is going to take a significant cut and end up between $7M and $8M on his next contract. Unless, again, he goes crazy upon his return which is the best-case scenario. He knows he wasn't good enough in '18-'19 or certainly last year to justify $9.5M any more.

The issue is we don’t have the assets to acquire a Malkin level talent and the acquire someone in UFA you are paying like 6 million for a player like Ullmark of 8 for a player like Duchene.

Losing Malkin and adding Forsberg makes this team worse. It’s about adding a talent in Forsberg’s realm or better to Malkin.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We have not seen apex Malkin in the playoffs since 2017. Last year he played good and got assists on great finishes by Carter and Zucker, but that wasn't some tour de force of Geno hockey.

If somehow we freed up $9.5M in cap space, I would spread it around so it isn't one player you are talking about here.

But again I think all of this is academic. If Geno is great again, fine pay him at his current salary. If he is diminished he will know it and accept less. There's a 90%+ chance he comes back as a Penguin next year. I'm not particularly worried about it.

Spread it around and you probably don't have the sort of elite core needed to have a shot at it. Should we find ourselves with 9.5m to spend, this team should really be looking to find a player worth spending most of it (or more) on. If they can't, I'd like them to try and arrange the cap and departing assets so there's enough cap space to have another go next summer.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The issue is we don’t have the assets to acquire a Malkin level talent and the acquire someone in UFA you are paying like 6 million for a player like Ullmark of 8 for a player like Duchene.

Losing Malkin and adding Forsberg makes this team worse. It’s about adding a talent in Forsberg’s realm or better to Malkin.

Sure.

This is in the scenario where we get an ineffective 2C who points up points but not goals, and opponents score more often than we do when he's on the ice. Last year's Malkin.

If we get good Geno this year as he was in '19-'20 or '17-'18, sure pay him $9.5M for 3 more years.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why is the window closed?

It’s not our fault we’ve had two teams in the 1st round that have had the most success in the last two playoffs in the East.

The Colorado Avalanche have beaten the Blues, Coyotes and Flames and are viewed as the cup favorites.
The Habs team that we lost to 2 years ago were very different than the Habs team from last season…

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sure.

This is in the scenario where we get an ineffective 2C who points up points but not goals, and opponents score more often than we do when he's on the ice. Last year's Malkin.

If we get good Geno this year as he was in '19-'20 or '17-'18, sure pay him $9.5M for 3 more years.

Last’s years Malkin outscored opponents 40 - 27 while on the ice at all strengths. He was 20 - 21 at 5v5, but if you are factoring in a player like Malkin at his contract you have to consider all strengths.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ummm Julien and Muller were both fired last season as well,

Is that a good thing?

Anyways, the fact is the young players that skewered us in the playoffs in 2020 exploded this year for Montreal in the playoffs.

These teams we lost to the last three years have been very good playoff teams. There is a reason we lost despite posters like you wanting to just make it out as our GM and Coach making awful decisions.

Colorado has beaten up on absolutely terrible teams that have had no success for multiple years and then got completely dunked on against actual contenders.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Last’s years Malkin outscored opponents 40 - 27 while on the ice at all strengths. He was 20 - 21 at 5v5, but if you are factoring in a player like Malkin at his contract you have to consider all strengths.

Yes, I am amazed the Penguins powerplay managed to outscore the opponent's penalty kill.

I take back everything I said. In fact Kessel was great in '18-'19 too. PP +/-

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Is that a good thing?
The teams are totally different, sorry. Different coaches, Edmondson, Caufield made his debut, Tofolli had a monster season, Anderson played well, and even Allen was a huge upgrade as their backup.

After Montreal quickly eliminated us, they went 4 straight games in the next round where they only scored 1 goal combined.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes, I am amazed the Penguins powerplay managed to outscore the opponent's penalty kill.

I take back everything I said. In fact Kessel was great in '18-'19 too. PP +/-

Kessel outscored the other team at 5v5 in 18-19.

The big dunk on Malkin last year comes from the expected goals crowd which correct me if I’m wrong is something you consistently dunk on, correct?

Malkin had a few bad weeks last year to start the season and people act like his career is over.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The teams are totally different, sorry. Different coaches, Edmondson, Caufield made his debut, Tofolli had a monster season, Anderson played well, and even Allen was a huge upgrade as their backup.

After Montreal quickly eliminated us, they went 4 straight games in the next round where they only scored 1 goal combined.

Montreal scored 5 goals in G2 and in G5 in 2020.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
There is a reason we lost despite posters like you wanting to just make it out as our GM and Coach making awful decisions.
Yes. This spring that reason was named "Tristan"
Colorado has beaten up on absolutely terrible teams that have had no success for multiple years and then got completely dunked on against actual contenders.
Professional sports is replete with examples of teams that lose to seemingly inferior teams before they "figure it out" and become champions. It wouldn't surprise me if the Avs figure it out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
. Yes. This spring that reason was named "Tristan"
Professional sports is replete with teams that lose to seemingly inferior teams before they "figure it out" and become champions. It wouldn't surprise me if the Avs figure it out.

I agree. Would it surprise anyone if Malkin comes back and this team goes on an unexpected playoff run?

I guess this is the wrong place to ask this because this team has been dead in the water since like 2014 according to most of the pundits on this forum.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal scored 5 goals in G2 and in G5 in 2020.
My mistake; I misread the score. They failed to score more than 2 goals in 4 of the 6 games against the Flyers.

I think all of us would take the roster from last year over the prior year’s squad.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I agree. Would it surprise anyone if Malkin comes back and this team goes on an unexpected playoff run?

I guess this is the wrong place to ask this because this team has been dead in the water since like 2014 according to most of the pundits on this forum.
I'm certainly no expert, but I think it is crazy not to hold optimism after our mini-roadtrip. Sometimes the negativity in these forums is just baffling.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'm certainly no expert, but I think it is crazy not to hold optimism after our mini-roadtrip. Sometimes the negativity in these forums is just baffling.
It’s also baffling how people could praise Poulin a year ago for getting an invite to a camp, defend signing Simon because he will never play in the NHL this season, defend sleepy for not getting more physical, and defend Jarry’s playoff performance because he played well for 2 months, 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad