Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: October - We got Boyle! Yay....? But the season is starting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Since we signed Simon and may sign Boyle:

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He’s not very good. Slow as f*** and his offensive ability doesn’t make up for the defensive gaps.

The fact Ho-Sang got signed over him should tel you all it needs to.

I'd still sign him on a cheap if that would work, we could use some hands on this roster, he can't be worse than Gally

Nah, Gusev's just a genuinely heinous player.

Think of all of Kessel's flaws while also being a bad skater and not being a consistent producer. That's Gusev.

I prefer to think of Sid as Francis on speed.

I get that but for a league minimum/1 year deal? That’s the real thought experiment here. :laugh: Like I said, there’s no way in hell he ends up here, it’s just a hypothetical for me.

Why though? He brings literally nothing we need.

Vegas let him go with him playing 0 games for them, after they went to all the trouble to actually get him over to NA. Traded to NJ where they signed him to a 2 year deal, that they terminated in the second year. Signed with Florida and played 11 games. Got released from a PTO from the same team that signed Josh Ho-Sang to an AHL deal. Dude is done. There is no flyer to take here.

Or Adderall

Pick your drug of choice. Sid doesn't do drugs. Sid IS drugs.

Every time I think about Sid, I can't come up with a great comparison. He just seems like the kind of person that has good but not elite talent, but has trained his body to absolute perfection. His legs are huge, and not everyone can put on that muscle mass, especially without their joints breaking down, but the skating, the stickhandling, the shooting, the passing, the awareness, it all seems to come from a Kobe Bryant level commitment to practicing his craft.

The best comparison I can make would be a 4th line grinder with elite playmaking skills, edge work and drive to improve whatever needed improving. There are some good names to compare him to like Forsberg and Francis, but there is no direct comparison because 4th line grinders don't have his skill and most skilled players don't grind like Sid can.

Crosby and Forsberg have nearly identical games aside from the fact Forsberg would absolutely truck dudes.

And Forsberg turned his foot into jello. But there’s no hate for Emo Pete’s game from me; it’s a great skill set he had.

So we really are sticking with Jarry?

oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

I was hoping someone out there would be made available before the season starts. It’s so frustrating that we failed to do anything about our goaltending.

Yeah sucks no one just wanted to trade the pens a starter+ to help us. Dicks.

Sid has ridiculous, generational talent.

Sid also has ridiculous work ethic. The work ethic has been cancelled out somewhat by the injuries. The talent has been cancelled out somewhat by habit and not adjusting his game. He has let his creativity atrophy.

Anyway, still a generational talent and great player. The work ethic is also admirable but this was a 1-1OA prodigy. Not a plucky 2nd rounder who ascended

It sucks we lowered our standards in a GM because we hired a turd.

Wait the Fancy Stats considered Malkin a much better player than Letang last year. Sad for fancy Stats.

Don't know why this is even being brought up. They will both sign 3 year deals and the 3 Amigos will ride into the sunset together.

Sure, but there are other teams in the league. That's what I'm getting at. I think Sully would Scanners Gusev's head from three states away if there was an actual offer on the table for him. And if he survived that, he'd deal with Burke. :laugh:

I mean he's burned through three teams. A really bad one, one with one of the best centers in the game who he was tried with and one who is desperate for cheap scoring talent for their top six. What team is left?

Like if he would've gotten traded by Jersey sure. But he literally got his contract terminated.

This team would be in a much, much worse position if they lost Letang as opposed to Malkin. I think Geno's had a far better career, but as currently constructed, this team cannot afford to lose Letang and be left with the blueline he'd leave in his wake. Just can't happen. :laugh: If Letang's on the outs, just blow it up.

They'll both be re-signed for whatever they ask though. I expect it to come in around $16 million or so for the both of them--roughly $8 million a piece--on three year deals.

because LeBrun brought it up…maybe Letang wants a five year deal because he thinks he can play until 40…we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes

I don't think Geno's camp is gonna roll over and take a financial beating at the negotiation table or anything, but I think if Letang's team wanted to, they could make the Penguins' really sweat and give 'em hell. He's been on a ridiculous sweetheart deal throughout his prime and he's playing potentially the best hockey of his career. He could easily push for a raise and probably get it, because this team cannot begin to think about a blueline without Letang on it.

Geno probably takes a very slight pay cut to the tune of $8-8.5 million. Letang's probably getting a slight raise to be right around the same.

Those words by LeBrun are among the biggest nothing-burger words I've seen :laugh:

Eh I see Sid more like a more aggressive Francis.

I'd probably give Geno and Letang an extra $5M each if they would go from 3 year deals to 5 year deals. For example, I'd rather do 5/$26M vs. 3/$21M. Take the savings and the space from Zuck/Petts/not re-signing Rust to get something big (Hertl, Forsberg, Tkachuk)

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Man, last years team was bad… this year they are just as bad if not worse and even more boring. Yikes, this year is going to be rough.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Think we'll be fine. We'll make the playoffs because there are several really volatile teams that could go either way; The Rangers, Flyers, Caps, and Pens. Too much skill and experience, and I don't think the big three are completely out of gas just yet.

Don't really mind if we miss though. The streak ended when we couldn't get by Montreal in the play-in, as far as I'm concerned, and the difference between making the 1st round and getting booted (or the 2nd) and being on the outside looking in don't matter to me. Gonna happen sooner than later, if this is the first season of the significant decline, so be it.

I'll probably be paying more attention to WBS than I have for like a decade though. Who's the coach down there? Anyone worth a damn, or still that weird dude who looks like his neighbors have to be made aware that he's on a list?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Simon's signed, then Malkin fans should be happy. That likely means he can have Rust back since Simon's going to be next to Sid. ;)

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
I want to sulk going into this season oh so bad but I can’t. Last year we looked like the only team that can bring it vs the islanders, the year before was a eff up for sure but it was the year of covid. The stingy islanders definitely bring out the worst of the Pens but we’re in a pretty good place if the goalies can play well.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
@Pens x

What goalie did the pens sleep on?
It’s hard to say what goalies were available via trade, and if I name a free agent you will respond with we don’t know if x player would have signed here!

Raanta was cheap

Ullmark and Grubauer could have been signed, a bit pricey though.

Did we try to trade for Nedeljkovic?

Those are just off the top of my head, I need to look to see what other goalies were available. But I know it’s pointless because no matter who I say, you’ll defend sleepy doing nothing.

Reactions: EightyOne

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I want to sulk going into this season oh so bad but I can’t. Last year we looked like the only team that can bring it vs the islanders, the year before was a eff up for sure but it was the year of covid. The stingy islanders definitely bring out the worst of the Pens but we’re in a pretty good place if the goalies can play well.
Well, a lot of different things depend on a lot of other various things happening upon unexpected things and the predictable things....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad