Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: October - We got Boyle! Yay....? But the season is starting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You can argue we can't be competitive if we pay them.

I argue we won't be either way. And id rather we all die together.

I fail to understand why we won’t be competitive unless your definition is we are guaranteed to win playoff series.

which if that is your assessment, I’d love to see where you were at circa 2019 with Tampa. I know you and I are usually aligned @EightyOne league wide so that ain’t a dig at you.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Not being funny, but isn't this argument basically irrelevant with the bolded? Because once it happens, whatever Geno did last season kinda won't come into his next contract. At which point, why argue over what he'd deserve based on last season?

That's a fair point.

The past 2 seasons may be all academic and the team & Geno's camp are waiting on what he looks like. We will see what happens. Ultimately I hate any overpayment to players based on legacy. It's cringe when the Lakers did it with Kobe, whatever the Steelers are doing with Roethlisberger, etc. Preserving the star player's ego when he's already made >$100M when the lower-middle class of the team has a 4-5 year window in which they make 5% of that.

If you deem the guy you see on the ice worthy of the salary knowing he'll be 36-38 during the time you're paying out, go for it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's a fair point.

The past 2 seasons may be all academic and the team & Geno's camp are waiting on what he looks like. We will see what happens. Ultimately I hate any overpayment to players based on legacy. It's cringe when the Lakers did it with Kobe, whatever the Steelers are doing with Roethlisberger, etc. Preserving the star player's ego when he's already made >$100M when the lower-middle class of the team has a 4-5 year window in which they make 5% of that.

If you deem the guy you see on the ice worthy of the salary knowing he'll be 36-38 during the time you're paying out, go for it.

Why? Do you hate Mike Lange bobble night too?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I fail to understand why we won’t be competitive unless your definition is we are guaranteed to win playoff series.

I am using a perennial playoff threat as my definition, yes.

They can be as good as SJS been, too... Which is still good, in the scheme of things

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I am using a perennial playoff threat as my definition, yes.

They can be as good as SJS been, too... Which is still good, in the scheme of things

Do you not think we’ve been a playoff threat the last three years? I mean the results suck, but as I alluded to earlier the Penguins sucked ass in the playoffs during the prime of our players career too.

Reactions: Peat

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Why? Do you hate Mike Lange bobble night too?

Bobbleheads are not on a salary cap. And I don't care about bobbleheads whatsoever.

I'm not sure what your point is. I don't like any franchise paying players more than what they are worth based on what they have done in the past. It is bad business. Conversely Mike Lange bobblehead night probably does more for ticket sales than Rust or Dumo or whomever, so it's a smart marketing decision.

Geno will have his chance this year for us to project what kind of player he will be over the next 3. I vote that whatever we offer him is based on an honest assessment and not clouded with nostalgia over what he was at 23 or 29 or 32. Not that it matters. I ain't a season ticket holder.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Is making the playoffs being a competitive team? If so, I guess we're competitive. I don't think I'd define that as competitive though, and I don't think this team's been competitive for years. For all the chest thumping over Sid posting a PPG, or Jake posting a PPG, or finishing in the top-5 of the league standings following a shortened season where we spent half the year playing three of the four worst teams in the league defensively (Buffalo, NJD, Philly)--I don't know. Nothing matters until the post season, and this team doesn't seem capable of winning in that environment anymore.

Team's not a competitor anymore--not in the sense of being a legitimate threat to chase Cups. It is what it is, and I think it sucks that we refuse to really pick a lane, but seem content to just lazily float down the river until we reach the waterfall.

We can probably get a hold of the upholsterer who did the Caps' Division Champ banners. Might be a bit late to hang one for last season though.

We won't have a competitive team if we pay Geno $9.5M against our cap at age 39.

But as always, I appreciate a post without 2-3 personal swipes.

BFD ignored you and can't see what you post. Nonetheless @Big Friggin Dummy Pixies is lumping you in with me as Rondu-adjacent. Just wanna let you know.
k_bill_murray.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Pretty funny the user that ostracized me for being in Human Resources is arguing what is “bad for business”…

Edit: just delete any and all posts of me arguing against Gurglesons/Pixies. I don't want to get banned because of his guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad